Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a few stats here

Biggest selling albums worldwide as of last friday

1. "Frozen" OST - 5,974,000
2. "Ghost Stories" Coldplay - 2,686,000
3. "Beyoncé" Beyoncé - 2,084,000
4. "X" Ed Sheeran - 1,845,000
5. "GIRL" Pharrell Williams 1,750,000
6. "Pure Heroine" Lorde - 1,685,000
7. "Midnight Memories" 1D 1,544,000
8. "Prism" Katy Perry - 1,501,000
9.In The Lonely Hour"Sam Smith 1,451,000
10. "Xscape" Michael Jackson - 1,440,000

So take frozen out and the biggest selling music album is 2.7 million

Top selling albums in america

01- 3,118,000 -FROZEN Soundtrack
02- 776,000 -BEYONCÉ-Beyoncé
03- 752,000 -PURE HEROINE-Lorde
04- 723,000 -GHOST STORIES-Coldplay
05- 721,000 -THE OUTSIDERS-Eric Church
06- 629,000 -NOW 50-Various
07- 625,000 -CRASH MY PARTY-Luke Bryan
08- 611,000 -IN THE LONELY HOUR- Sam Smith
09- 577,000 -JUST AS I AM-Brantley Gilbert
10- 531,000 -PRISM-Katy Perry

Selling a million/1.5 worldwide would be a great effort i think. Taking into account the whole apple thing

Just a few stats here

Biggest selling albums worldwide as of last friday

1. "Frozen" OST - 5,974,000
2. "Ghost Stories" Coldplay - 2,686,000
3. "Beyoncé" Beyoncé - 2,084,000
4. "X" Ed Sheeran - 1,845,000
5. "GIRL" Pharrell Williams 1,750,000
6. "Pure Heroine" Lorde - 1,685,000
7. "Midnight Memories" 1D 1,544,000
8. "Prism" Katy Perry - 1,501,000
9.In The Lonely Hour"Sam Smith 1,451,000
10. "Xscape" Michael Jackson - 1,440,000

So take frozen out and the biggest selling music album is 2.7 million

Top selling albums in america

01- 3,118,000 -FROZEN Soundtrack
02- 776,000 -BEYONCÉ-Beyoncé
03- 752,000 -PURE HEROINE-Lorde
04- 723,000 -GHOST STORIES-Coldplay
05- 721,000 -THE OUTSIDERS-Eric Church
06- 629,000 -NOW 50-Various
07- 625,000 -CRASH MY PARTY-Luke Bryan
08- 611,000 -IN THE LONELY HOUR- Sam Smith
09- 577,000 -JUST AS I AM-Brantley Gilbert
10- 531,000 -PRISM-Katy Perry

Selling a million/1.5 worldwide would be a great effort i think. Taking into account the whole apple thing

Can't believe Randy Marsh is 6th worldwide...

Nope. I interpret this Billboard article as estimating U2 to sell a total of 70,000 in their debut week. Pre-orders are less than 70,000 plus the prediction of albums sold during the first week of release will make it a total of 70,000.

We will know the final number in about two weeks...

Then why put the word "alone" as in "based in pre-orders alone they are expected to sell an additional 70k"? Wouldn't that imply that this is only including pre-orders and not actual sales estimates?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No matter how we debate it, it's doing well. 26mil is nothing to laugh at. 81mil at least checking it out? That's awesome even if they didn't like it. They tried it out which is what the band was going for.

And of course, the fanbase is going to bump the numbers since we tend to buy multiple formats or extra copies to leave "mint in package".

Example: I have a Droid but downloaded through my laptop's iTunes acct. (Any computer can download it regardless of whether it's an Apple product or not), then I preordered the deluxe edition. I'm also planning on getting the vinyl and most likely a copy of the standard simply for "collecting". That's four formats for one person. So the numbers might be better than we think if they include ALL formats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

We're overlooking the important point here: the band essentially "sacrificed" this album by giving it away, likely because they've been gone for so long and had to reintroduce themselves. This is basically a downpayment on Songs Of Experience, which is going to be tied into a new interactive media which they hope people will buy.

They're obviously hoping enough people like this album (as well as the subsequent tour) and will be curious enough about what they do next, which will be coming in a shorter time frame.

I honestly don't think they expect this to do well, or care. This was a transitional/experimental period release-wise, and it's all about where things go next.

This is some quality house protecting. click clack.

Can't believe Randy Marsh is 6th worldwide...

what is so hard to believe?

RandyMarshLesPaul.jpg

26 million is really a stunning number in today's day and age.

In other words, in one month, the downloads for Songs of Innocence basically equal the number of worldwide copies sold of ATYCLB (12 million) + HTDAAB (10 million) + NLOTH (5 million). Whoa.

At this point physical numbers are irrelevant to the album's total reach. U2 wanted a lot of people to have this album and they succeeded wildly.

Who cares if the physical sales are low? Everyone already has the album for free and U2 has already been paid. The bottom line here is that U2 pulled off a coup and dramatically expanded the reach of their new music.

Whether the album is remembered fondly by fans and listened to for years to come is a different question :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It doesnt take much to be #1 these days in physical sales. One could argue that more people are listening to music these days but it has become a resource that people dont and wont pay for any longer.

U2 should be #1 at least in the first week and then drop like a stone as has been the case with many of their albums since 1997, at least in the US. Other countries have different buying patterns when it comes to U2 but still it would be an accomplishment in the end if this album reaches the 2M-3M mark in the current market.

I can still remember the days when the U2 band only had 600 people listening to
them on stage. That was way back in 1983.
Now they fill up stadiums with 60,000+ fans... and non-fans. I met a few people
at concerts that didn´t know anything about this band. Its true :D They just went to the
concert out of curiosity.

So I am sure they are not that worried if people will not buy their new record.
They can always make the fans very happy with their next Live show.

As for this crap about Billboard and ratings or whatever, its all bullshit. Its all a joke and
not to be taken seriously. It is all paid for.
If you want to be in the top 10 list you have to pay somebody to be there.
The same thing was happening back in the early days of Rock-N-Roll when
promoters paid money under-the-table and offered a 45-vinyl to radio DJs to play the
new bands music.
If you want to have more air-play or get more awards, you have
to pay somebody to get them. Nothing is for free and no one gets the deserved
spot on the list - even if your the most talented musician on the planet.
It is a fact. I have seen and heard many talented musicians, some were genius, but
they never reached the Billboard top 20 list.
The U2 band will continue doing what they do and play what they like, no matter what
happens and no matter what people ask them to play. They do their own thing.
That is how they have been doing since the start.

If people do not care or enjoy their songs, that is no problem.
There are always other people that will enjoy their music. This is a big planet with room for
everyone.

NME so predictable now, but yet the band received the god like genius award from them around the time of ATYCLB........crazy

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

LOL. True.

Also, NME is of course out in full force on Facebook saying that ONLY 5% of iTunes users downloaded the album. sigh. They are such predictable twats.

I was reading the Facebook posts and a good portion of the comments were slagging NME for the article and praising the new album. You had your run of the mill "U2 suck" or "Bono is a wanker" comments but most people were backing U2.

With that said, I leave you with this bit of irony from the NME article:

NME posts an article on their Facebook page that mentions "ONLY 5% of iTunes users downloaded the album"(26 million of 500 million).
NME posts this on Facebook, which has 1 billion users.....their Facebook page has 475k likes. Thats right, 475k likes out of a BILLION users, perhaps they will post an article about that?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

With new song The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), U2 have achieved their 40th entry on Billboard's Alternative Songs chart, breaking their own previously held record of 39.

In February of this year, U2 reclaimed the Alternative Songs record from Pearl Jam when Invisible debuted at No 28.

The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) entered the Alternative Songs chart at Number 36; if the song reaches the Top 10 on the chart, U2 will tie with Red Hot Chili Peppers for the most Top 10 hits in the chart's 26-year history, 24.

U2's new album, Songs of Innocence, is out now on Island Records.
U2 break their own Billboard record - RTÉ Ten

U2 should be reaching #1 in the Elevator-Music category very soon too.

Its all "easy listening" and acoustic music,
so U2 feels at home in this category of music
with this new record.

I almost forgot to say, it will be dificult for U2 in this category to take first place
from Pat Boone`s record - "Pat Boone : In a metal mood = No More Mister Nice Guy"

When is the free offer taken down? I wonder what the final number will be?

Sad part is, Amazon doesn't tell us much. It's a tiny slice of the sales. Other big names like Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc... are giving little to no promotion. I could barely find it by searching on their sites, in fact I couldn't on Best Buys.

Also, there's that little music seller called... oh yeah iTunes! that really won't give U2 any sales for about a month.

Billboard already said they are looking at about 70k or so for first week sales. Even if this was not counting vinyl and standard edition, we are probably looking at TOPS 100k. This should get them in the top 3, but sadly not to number 1 here in the US.

when do Euro charts come out??

Sad part is, Amazon doesn't tell us much. It's a tiny slice of the sales. Other big names like Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc... are giving little to no promotion. I could barely find it by searching on their sites, in fact I couldn't on Best Buys.

Also, there's that little music seller called... oh yeah iTunes! that really won't give U2 any sales for about a month.

Billboard already said they are looking at about 70k or so for first week sales. Even if this was not counting vinyl and standard edition, we are probably looking at TOPS 100k. This should get them in the top 3, but sadly not to number 1 here in the US.

when do Euro charts come out??

Theres a good chance it could be number 1 on the worldwide charts

Good to know. The Best Buy website said $15.99 but either that's an online price or the sale price isn't active until tomorrow.

Either way, I'll be going there.

Back
Top Bottom