Songs of Ascent VI and the Half-Blood Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are different settings for that delay effect that can make it appear more exaggerated depending on how long the note is delayed. But it appears on almost every song he uses an electric guitar.

Saying you're tired of Edge's delay effects or "chime" is just about tantamount to saying you're tired of Edge, period.

Well, that's not necessarily fair. The Fly has the heavy delay that is clearly Edge, but is a much harder sound than what he had been using before. Definitely no "chime" there. Actually a lot of songs on Achtung Baby are that way.

I'm actually glad that the rythm section got a bit more interesting on NLOTH and that Edge took a tiny step back for a few songs like MOS. And Magnificent has an amazing riff BTW.

i love the chime sound - and I love how on every song the chimeyness is almost never exactly the same keeps things interesting there is so much he can do with that sound and has done. Listen to the opening notes of ASOHC and tell me u are sick of the chime that sound is brilliant

Ok, i guess i should say i'm tired of the Crazy Tonight Chime sound :)

Even on Pop Edge still played like Edge, it's just he's not searching for that fucked up sound as much....or he's not getting it to work as well within the structure of the songs they put out.

Don't know, but i prefer Edge making cool noises :)

I actually feel Edge's guitar work on NLOTH is borderline lazy. Resting too heavily on his laurels, and leaning too much on Eno and Lanois's atmospherics. He actually has some really good solos on the album (Breathe, Magnificent, Moment of surrender, Unknown Caller), and WAS actually has some interesting guitar, but I wonder how much of that was actually Lanois. But for the most part, I just feel that he is running over the same ol' ground.

U2 really need to start fresh with a completely new producer (after SOA in 2010, b/c I want it now!!!). Someone who will completely restucture their way of working, break them down and build them back up again into something different. I don't know why Chris Thomas and Rick Rubin didn't work out, but I think it's because they didn't understand the way U2 work. U2 need to surrender themselves to the teachings of a new producer. U2 need this to happen. The U2 I know has too much class to go the route of Rolling Stones, ACDC, Aerosmith and countless others who just keep cranking out the same old shit after they reach a certain age. I know they can do this.

THAT is the definition of a "very successful" album.

I do agree with your point though. With such long waits in between albums, their lighter fans could fade away... I do think though that U2 has become somewhat of a timeless band and ANY album they release will always be an "event" in some sense - assuming they continue to put out good material.

My mistake. I had thought that ATYCLB has sold a lot more than Bomb. In any case it is a long time and you understood my point. :up:

U2 really need to start fresh with a completely new producer (after SOA in 2010, b/c I want it now!!!). Someone who will completely restucture their way of working, break them down and build them back up again into something different. I don't know why Chris Thomas and Rick Rubin didn't work out, but I think it's because they didn't understand the way U2 work. U2 need to surrender themselves to the teachings of a new producer. U2 need this to happen. The U2 I know has too much class to go the route of Rolling Stones, ACDC, Aerosmith and countless others who just keep cranking out the same old shit after they reach a certain age. I know they can do this.

I don't see that happening at this stage. How many producers would have the courage to push and challenge the band? On the other side, could U2 actually humble themselves and listen to a younger producer?

I just have a hard time seeing U2 being separated from the intellectual and musical force of Eno/Lanois... Eno, Edge, and Bono really make up the conceptual core of U2, and Lanois and Edge make up the musical core... it seems like taking group members away, to be honest.

Why not get rid of Edge? :shrug:

I just have a hard time seeing U2 being separated from the intellectual and musical force of Eno/Lanois... Eno, Edge, and Bono really make up the conceptual core of U2, and Lanois and Edge make up the musical core... it seems like taking group members away, to be honest.

Why not get rid of Edge? :shrug:

They have made albums without Eno and Lanois and done well before, but frankly after NLOTH being such a masterpiece I think they would be crazy to dump them right now. They seem to have the chemistry down at this point.

Yeah, I wish they used a different guitar sound in UC. Fair enough, but the song IS brilliant!

They have made albums without Eno and Lanois and done well before, but frankly after NLOTH being such a masterpiece I think they would be crazy to dump them right now. They seem to have the chemistry down at this point.

Yeah, I wish they used a different guitar sound in UC. Fair enough, but the song IS brilliant!

The only non-Eno/Lanois album they've made that I really like is Pop, and part of the reason I enjoy it is because of its utter chaos and lack of focus.

I agree fully about UC, though.

The only non-Eno/Lanois album they've made that I really like is Pop, and part of the reason I enjoy it is because of its utter chaos and lack of focus.

I agree fully about UC, though.

Pop was the one I had in mind.

HTDAAB was E/L lite, and before that you'd have to go back to War to find something neither had worked on. They really are members of the band now by any fair definition. Do Common Law rules apply to being in a band? lol!

I think Lanois/Eno as producers are perfect for U2, in the end the drive to change is the band's, but so is the self-consciousness and worrying that the marketplace won't receive what you're putting out, its that they need to overcome. It'd be cool to see them bring in others to the production/mixing team, but I wouldn't say they should do it by banishing their core. Hell, get Doves to produce/mix a U2 album, how frickin' cool would that be.

I still think at some point they should take leftovers and just sit down and finish them, produce them themselves and quickly (the way NLOTH2 came about).

The problem is most other producers wouldn't have the balls to get in there and tell the world's biggest band what to do. The other problem is U2 would never surrender themselves to a stranger like that. But I think it'd be interesting to see what happens. I'd like to hear the Rubin Sessions, just to hear what someone else does for them.

I think NLOTH is a great album. But lets face it, nothing on the album is really hit single material. Which doesn't make it a worse album... if anything, better. I wish U2 wouldn't create an album like this and still try to be the biggest band in the world. Because when they fail, it makes them look the worst that they could possibly look.

Though I do agree that U2 should start working with different producers if they had released No Line On The Horizon as the first single I think we would be having a different discussion right now.

I just would have been good promotion to use the title track, not to mention its a different sound for them, and catchy. Plus you could have used NLOTH2 as a b-side that would have gotten airplay as well.

GTFO out people, saying Edge hasn't evolved in the last couple of albums, that NLOTH is "lazy"...

Name me one U2 song where the guitar sounds like NLOTH the song. Or Get On Your Boots, while I can agree that it's close to Vertigo overall, the guitar is different. And Fez/Being Born - I don't agree at all. NLOTH is different to HTDAAB and ATYCLB, maybe not as different as Rattle And Hum and Achtung Baby, but that's asking to much I think.

GTFO out people, saying Edge hasn't evolved in the last couple of albums, that NLOTH is "lazy"...

Name me one U2 song where the guitar sounds like NLOTH the song. Or Get On Your Boots, while I can agree that it's close to Vertigo overall, the guitar is different. And Fez/Being Born - I don't agree at all. NLOTH is different to HTDAAB and ATYCLB, maybe not as different as Rattle And Hum and Achtung Baby, but that's asking to much I think.
Lady With the Spinning Head

:up:

it's really a matter of how well some people understand music. The Edge chose to be more subtle this album. a lot more organ/piano was used. sure, he could have acted like a 17 year old in his first band and just turned his amp louder, but as all the members of U2 have been throughout their careers, he took the selfless approach and did what was right for the music.

Yeah, I'm not really getting this Edge criticism either. The main problem with NLOTH (and the one that may, unfortunately, have the most negative side effects) is that it wasn't as warmly received by the world at large as their previous two albums. As far as the album itself, they just needed to believe in their concept (and listen to Eno) a little more. Thankfully, I think their cold feet only affected a small part of the album.

Edge guitar work by song:

1) Brilliant
2) Brilliant
3) Understated and effective
4) Effective if over-familiar
5) ""
6) ""
7) Who cares
8) Brilliant and understated
9) Understated and effective
10) Raw
11) Brilliant and understated

And in terms of solos, this is easily Edge's best album: Mag, MOS, UC, Breathe.

I think best compares to UF in terms of guitar being in the background. UF is also one of my least fav Edge albums because there really isn't a memorable riff (aside from Pride). it's background noise, but it does fit the atmosphere of the album.

I do think his guitar playing in this album fits the mood, I just like bigger riffs :)...and for most of them not to sound like Walk On hehe

I think best compares to UF in terms of guitar being in the background. UF is also one of my least fav Edge albums because there really isn't a memorable riff (aside from Pride). it's background noise, but it does fit the atmosphere of the album.

I do think his guitar playing in this album fits the mood, I just like bigger riffs :)...and for most of them not to sound like Walk On hehe

Where do you find bigger riffs than GOYB, SUC, or Breathe?!?!?!?!?!

Are you saying that the guitar is in the background on NLOTH and that it has less big riffs than most U2 albums? Because this isn't right, and I think it's a pretty objective issue. I actually think it'd be easy to argue that their are more big riffs in NLOTH than in any previous U2 album (except, maybe, HTDAAB). Mag, GOYB, SUC, Breathe are as riff-aggressive tracks as anything U2 has done (and the guitar is also in the front in UC, Crazy Tonight, and NLOTH). I think you'd be hard-pressed to find 4 equally riff-worthy tracks on any other U2 album. Maybe AB and HTDAAB. Regardless, big riffs can be pretty overrated: see ABOY and Love and Peace.

See I think this is where we differ, Unforgettable Fire is maybe my favourite Edge album, and I think Walk On is a wonderful song mostly because of Edge's guitar playing.

Umm Bad is perhaps Edge's most beautiful riff.

Slide guitar (only the third time since Surrender and EBTTRT if I remember right, though he's used it more frequently on the 00 albums) on Kite, no chime. Not sure he used chime on POE, sounds like acoustic (very present acoustic guitar on that album overall).

I was talking about his guitar playing on the "Who's to say" verse, not the slide guitar. As trademark Edge as you're going to get. Even the band mentioned plenty of times that they're going back to their roots with ATYCLB.

Yeah, I'm not really getting this Edge criticism either. The main problem with NLOTH (and the one that may, unfortunately, have the most negative side effects) is that it wasn't as warmly received by the world at large as their previous two albums. As far as the album itself, they just needed to believe in their concept (and listen to Eno) a little more. Thankfully, I think their cold feet only affected a small part of the album.

Edge guitar work by song:

1) Brilliant
2) Brilliant
3) Understated and effective
4) Effective if over-familiar
5) ""
6) ""
7) Who cares
8) Brilliant and understated
9) Understated and effective
10) Raw
11) Brilliant and understated

And in terms of solos, this is easily Edge's best album: Mag, MOS, UC, Breathe.

1) The Fly wants its riff back. Luckily Eno synths keep it somewhat fresh.
2) Effective, but mostly because of Larry and Adam's work. He can do this in his sleep.
3) Brilliant, effective and fresh. More please.
4) Overfamiliar. (ES, err, Crumbs, errr, Walk on called to say hi)
5) He can do this sound in his sleep.
6) Vertigo called to say hi this time.
7) Perhaps generic but new to Edge, I'll take quasi Led Zeppelin/Chilli peppers teritorry over chimes of infinity.
8) Again, he can do this in his sleep. Eno saves this one.
9) See no. 3.
10) Familiar, but effective.
11) Effective, and understated.

Really ? Love the solos on NLOTH, but AB is still his best solo-ing album.

Now that I think about it looks like his sound of choice for much of this decade is either "plug in the chime" or "let's ROCK". The former is getting too repetitive, and he too often sounds too generic with the latter.

Good questions from a poster earlier: Would a different producer challenge U2 ? Yes, I believe Rick Rubin could do it. Would they listen to someone new ? Yes. They did with UF when they brought out Eno and Lanois.

1) The Fly wants its riff back. Luckily Eno synths keep it somewhat fresh.
2) Effective, but mostly because of Larry and Adam's work. He can do this in his sleep.
3) Brilliant, effective and fresh. More please.
4) Overfamiliar. (ES, err, Crumbs, errr, Walk on called to say hi)
5) He can do this sound in his sleep.
6) Vertigo called to say hi this time.
7) Perhaps generic but new to Edge, I'll take quasi Led Zeppelin/Chilli peppers teritorry over chimes of infinity.
8) Again, he can do this in his sleep. Eno saves this one.
9) See no. 3.
10) Familiar, but effective.
11) Effective, and understated.

Really ? Love the solos on NLOTH, but AB is still his best solo-ing album.

Now that I think about it looks like his sound of choice for much of this decade is either "plug in the chime" or "let's ROCK". The former is getting too repetitive, and he too often sounds too generic with the latter.

Good questions from a poster earlier: Would a different producer challenge U2 ? Yes, I believe Rick Rubin could do it. Would they listen to someone new ? Yes. They did with UF when they brought out Eno and Lanois.

i disagree with your notion that The Edge could play guitar in his sleep. i don't think any human could actually play guitar in their sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom