Short vides + upcoming feature in The Guardian/Observer (updated 02/16)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this review makes me sick...it's painful to read haha...what a load of crap....I've never seen such an unnecessary, grandiose, bombastic bullshit review in my life :rolleyes:

at least it gave 4/5 stars though...

It's just a typically British way of writing, get over it. As as non-Brit living in the UK, I can tell you that's just normal here, always very critical, often cynical, lots of witty humour. This is especially true for The Observer/The Guardian, which by the way is, in my opinion, the best newspaper in the world. Seriously. And very respected in terms of culture, music, etc.

They will NEVER go and completely praise something all around. This is an excellent review coming from them, and from any British press. The level of anti-U2ism in this country is beyond anything I've ever seen, and the feature in The Observer puts its finger right on it by saying U2 take themselves quite seriously and that's just not the British way. Though I wouldn't put too much weight on the star rating, a lot of albums get 4 stars from them (latest Springsteen did in the same magazine).

I think we'll get a review from The Guardian as well, probably next Friday in their Film and Music section. Looking forward to see if it's equally positive :up:

I know what you mean, I live in Central Europe, it's the same with our newspaper, especially so-called "quality" papers. They are very cynical and don't give good reviews to anything that comes from a commercially successful band. I have only read one review of NLOTH so far and that was the only one I've read that was mainly negative. I prepare of an insane amount of U2 bashing when the real reviews come out in our media. These folks don't even care to listen to the album, seeing the name U2 on it is reason enough to rip the record to pieces. They come up with the most annoying pseudo-intellectual crap when it comes to writing reviews, it's painful to read. :no:

I know what you mean, I live in Central Europe, it's the same with our newspaper, especially so-called "quality" papers. They are very cynical and don't give good reviews to anything that comes from a commercially successful band. I have only read one review of NLOTH so far and that was the only one I've read that was mainly negative. I prepare of an insane amount of U2 bashing when the real reviews come out in our media. These folks don't even care to listen to the album, seeing the name U2 on it is reason enough to rip the record to pieces. They come up with the most annoying pseudo-intellectual crap when it comes to writing reviews, it's painful to read. :no:
I am curious as to what The Guardian gives NLOTH... I remember that newspaper was one of the few early reviews that slammed the hell out of HTDAAB :eek:

:up:

:reject:

I am curious as to what The Guardian gives NLOTH... I remember that newspaper was one of the few early reviews that slammed the hell out of HTDAAB :eek:

:up:

:reject:

Yeah I can't wait for that review too, both because they will have no problem being critical if need be, and because I highly respect their opinion in terms of music and movies, although sometimes they can be a bit too pretentious and cynical. But I like the fact that they can rip to pieces something that had been getting glowing reviews (ex: Benjamin Button movie, I think they gave it 1 star), but at the same time if something IS really good they'll say it too. So a positive review from The Guardian has a lot of weight IMO.

The Observer is sort of the 'brother' of The Guardian though, with similar critical sense, so this bodes well so far.

Let's do some summarization here:

-For Your Love = Stand Up Comedy
-Winter ≠ White as Snow
-Winter and Every Breaking Wave have officially been cut
-Chromium Chords = Fez - Being Born

If Winter is different than White As Snow, they wrote at the same time 2 songs about a soldier in Afghnistan?

If Winter is different than White As Snow, they wrote at the same time 2 songs about a soldier in Afghnistan?

I believe two songs were written on the same theme, but not necessarily the same soldier. Maybe we'll see Winter surface on the future 2009 release they're talking about.

Maybe we'll see Winter surface on the future 2009 release they're talking about.

It is featured in the Corbijn movie/dvd Linear alongside the other 11 songs. But the funny thing is the songs are in a different order then on the album.

^ The songs are in the order that fits the storyline of that movie.

Yes, and I am still looking for a dvd player like the walkman cd-player of Sony so that I can listen to the dvd but with good sound quality.

I believe two songs were written on the same theme, but not necessarily the same soldier. Maybe we'll see Winter surface on the future 2009 release they're talking about.

Pretty certain this is still the same song. Remember, journalists make mistakes all the time. I just can't believe they'd throw out a song called Winter about snow, Afghanistan and brothers that will be used in a movie...and replace it with an entirely different song about snow, Afghanistan and brothers that will be used in a movie.

chromium chords....cool title.........video was interesting. just wish it was a little longer and had more of the band discussing songs and bono singing.

Pretty certain this is still the same song. Remember, journalists make mistakes all the time. I just can't believe they'd throw out a song called Winter about snow, Afghanistan and brothers that will be used in a movie...and replace it with an entirely different song about snow, Afghanistan and brothers that will be used in a movie.

Definitely NOT the same song. Did you read the Guardian article?

Has anyone in the US found a copy of the Observer Music Monthly yet?

I went out looking at the usual spots but nothing so far.

While I know that part if not all of the article is online, anyone have scans of the pics and article yet?

They are not the same songs.

White as Snow and Winter are different songs.

Has anyone in the US found a copy of the Observer Music Monthly yet?

I went out looking at the usual spots but nothing so far.

While I know that part if not all of the article is online, anyone have scans of the pics and article yet?

You won't find it outside the UK. It comes inside The Observer newspaper, it's not a regular magazine you buy.

I can try to see if I can scan it tomorrow, but honestly the main thing is the article which you can find online. There are pictures but there is nothing really special about them...

Actually we can get a lot of UK papers and magazines here in the US. I can get the Irish Times at Borders, and Hot Press and NME at my newstand. However we won't get them TODAY. :wink: There is some lag time of course.

So they aren't anything we haven't already seen? :hmm:

Well, I'm not a U2 picture junkie so I can't say for sure :wink: But there is a big one of them on a beach, which I think has been around at least in similar form for the album promo. Then one of Bono and Adam in the studio, one of whole band at the Obama inauguration, one of them having dinner at Fez (but it's quite small). The other ones are old pictures from different periods of the band.

I know you can get foreign newspaper in the US, but usually you get international editions (I know it's the case for The Guardian), not the full package (with magazines inside) that comes with the Sunday papers here in the UK. I could be wrong though. If you really want the mag I can mail it to you :wink:

Well, I'm not a U2 picture junkie so I can't say for sure :wink: But there is a big one of them on a beach, which I think has been around at least in similar form for the album promo. Then one of Bono and Adam in the studio, one of whole band at the Obama inauguration, one of them having dinner at Fez (but it's quite small). The other ones are old pictures from different periods of the band.

I know you can get foreign newspaper in the US, but usually you get international editions (I know it's the case for The Guardian), not the full package (with magazines inside) that comes with the Sunday papers here in the UK. I could be wrong though. If you really want the mag I can mail it to you :wink:

Really? :hmm: Not that I'm a picture junkie :shifty: or a magazine collector :shifty:

That makes sense. U2 fans want it to be an outtake, but unfortunately I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom