Seperating the rumors from the facts (Passengers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
Seperating the rumors from the facts

I'm pretty confused on the whole Passenger//regular U2 album issue. I just read that Bono said in Boston there def. will be a U2 album out in 2008.
But which one is he referring to and is the 'new passenger album' just a rumor??

:huh:

Re: Seperating the rumors from the facts

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
I'm pretty confused on the whole Passenger//regular U2 album issue. I just read that Bono said in Boston there def. will be a U2 album out in 2008.
But which one is he referring to and is the 'new passenger album' just a rumor??

:huh:

The passengers talk started because Edge said that the work they did with Rubin and the work they were doing with Eno/Lanois were two separate projects. People immediately started catagorizing the Eno/Lanois sessions as a Passengers type project. I don't think there is really anything more concrete than that.

Dana

I am hoping for a low-key Passengers release in the spring and a full-on U2 campaign starting with a fall release.

ahittle said:
I am hoping for a low-key Passengers release in the spring and a full-on U2 campaign starting with a fall release.

That's what I think they will do, unless the Passengers 2 project is not finished by then. But this method would make the most sense in that it would bring U2 onto the scene well before the "real" album is out and jumpstart the promotional process.

As far as separating fact from rumor, I'll let you know what I've gathered (and that's all it is. I'm just saying what I personally know from what has been circulating. So, I'm not saying I have all my stories straight):
U2 is probably working on 2 projects, though I don't believe the band themselves have said that for sure (in public).
Bono said U2 album definitely out in 2008.
Whatever this other project is, we have no proof it'll be under the "Passengers" name, and no time-frame for it, either.
Recording sessions resume/begin in November of this year.

I'm of the personal opinion that all the material for both projects is basically written and these sessions in November will be more of a definite recording process. It seems at this point they probably have most of their material prepared.

On another note: As much as I like Passengers, I think this "other" project shouldn't use the Passengers name. I'm hoping there is an entirely new project name for this. Basically, you now have six songwriters working together. Passengers was five band members with Brian Eno at the head of it possessing most of the creative control. Sounds like two totally different concepts to me. I think people will have many automatic misconceptions if they use the Passengers name once again.

Of course, we'll never have all the confusion sorted out until the album(s) are in our hands...so probably not worth posting all of that, but I'm bored at work. So, I thought I'd contribute my two cents.

ahittle said:

exactly what I'm hoping.

Rich79 said:
Of course, we'll never have all the confusion sorted out until the album(s) are in our hands...so probably not worth posting all of that, but I'm bored at work. So, I thought I'd contribute my two cents.

exactly or unless U2.com finally breaks out with a real story soon.

i'd love a passengers project, any new u2 material is great.

but it would be cool if they put out like 2 u2 records in consecutive years, or something along those lines. maybe a double album or something. i dont know, in the end i dont really care.

Passengers number 2 would be something I would welcome wholeheartedly, number 1 is one of my favourite albums ever. However, there is no way that Larry Mullen will allow it to be called that, he hates passengers too much! Expect it to be called something else and to be not quite as leftfield and wonderfully weird as Passengers but it should still be fantastic. I am extremely excited about this, as well as about the remastered joshua tree package. It's a great time to be a U2 fan!
I expect this to come out in the spring and a major full U2 album to come out in November.

Indeed a POSSIBLE great time to be a U2 fan:

November 2007: Joshua Tree release incl. DVD

February/March 2007: Release first and only single 'Passengers' album

March/April 2008: Release new 'Passengers' album

September 2008: Release first single new U2 album

November 2008: Release new U2 album

February/March 2009: Start of New Tour

November 2009: DVD New Tour

Or am I being too optimistic?! :wink:

BANZAI said:

I would be FILLED WITH JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

BANZAI said:

Don't forget U23D early next year as well! But that will perhaps only be in the States..poor me.

Or am I being too optimistic?!

No, I'd love to see them release it in that order, too.

New U2, new U2!!! :drool:

Last edited:
BANZAI said:

Sounds like a good plan to me. But can U2 be that productive? Maybe. They always seem to surprise me on release dates.

BANZAI said:

:combust: x3

My bet: new album 2008, Passengers project in 2010.

here's a little bit from Eno, courtesy of Q mag, via atu2

On this record [Eno is currently working with U2 again], we didn’t start out with the idea, “OK, we’re going to make another U2 album.” We’re just going to make music. And what we’ve done so far doesn’t sound like another U2 album, but I think it will do.”

Dorian Gray said:
here's a little bit from Eno, courtesy of Q mag, via atu2

On this record [Eno is currently working with U2 again], we didn’t start out with the idea, “OK, we’re going to make another U2 album.” We’re just going to make music. And what we’ve done so far doesn’t sound like another U2 album, but I think it will do.”

I think they'll hold the Passengers project until after the major U2 release. Probably something to coincide with the tour or as insurance incase the new album doesn't do well they have something in the hopper to keep fan interest kindled.

This U23D thing.... it's making me nervous now. It doesn't make sense to have a major release of an old tour if the new one is just on the horizon (assuming U23D is supposed to come out fall 2008). It just doesn't fit an optimistic fan schedule. What does fit is this:

Fall 2007 Joshua Tree remaster
Fall 2008 Passengers II & U23D
Fall 2009 LP13
2010 Tour for LP13

The other thing is, LP13 has no announced producer yet and that leads me to believe that they haven't decided on the sound. The beach clips were ATYCLB-y, the stuff with Rubin was supposed to be very Beatlesesque, and Bono has also mentioned that maybe then need to rock much harder. I'm starting to think these november sessions are them going back to basics.

Snowlock said:

I think they'll hold the Passengers project until after the major U2 release. Probably something to coincide with the tour or as insurance incase the new album doesn't do well they have something in the hopper to keep fan interest kindled.

This U23D thing.... it's making me nervous now. It doesn't make sense to have a major release of an old tour if the new one is just on the horizon (assuming U23D is supposed to come out fall 2008). It just doesn't fit an optimistic fan schedule. What does fit is this:

Fall 2007 Joshua Tree remaster
Fall 2008 Passengers II & U23D
Fall 2009 LP13
2010 Tour for LP13

The other thing is, LP13 has no announced producer yet and that leads me to believe that they haven't decided on the sound. The beach clips were ATYCLB-y, the stuff with Rubin was supposed to be very Beatlesesque, and Bono has also mentioned that maybe then need to rock much harder. I'm starting to think they're back to basics.

I thought we had a confirmed January release for U23d.

Plus if we have Corbijn already working on artwork, then I believe they already have an idea of the direction.

Your schedule is confusing, you first say they will release the passengers after the album, but then you have them releasing first. :huh:

Snowlock said:

I think it makes more sense to do the opposite: Release the Passengers project first because they're coming off of two critically-acclaimed, well-selling albums. They have room to play. Then release the major U2 album afterwards in case the Passengers one is met with raised eyebrows.

This U23D thing.... it's making me nervous now. It doesn't make sense to have a major release of an old tour if the new one is just on the horizon (assuming U23D is supposed to come out fall 2008). It just doesn't fit an optimistic fan schedule.

U23D is coming out in January.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I thought we had a confirmed January release for U23d.

Plus if we have Corbijn already working on artwork, then I believe they already have an idea of the direction.

Your schedule is confusing, you first say they will release the passengers after the album, but then you have them releasing first. :huh:

I'm working, sue me.

Snowlock said:

The other thing is, LP13 has no announced producer yet and that leads me to believe that they haven't decided on the sound.

U2 started working with Chris Thomas in February, 2003. And from the comments in U2 By U2 I presume that they wanted a release in the fall that year but since that deadline already was passed when the band members couldn't agree with one another about whether to keep the songs as they were or rework them, it was pushed back into 2004.

Therefore they called Steve Lillywhite in to work with them in the fall of 2003 until the album release in 2004.

The conclusion is that they started working with a producer less than a year before they had planned to release the album and I presume that they could do that again.
Of course we can't know for sure when the album is planned to be released but hopefully during 2008 and perhaps we will find out in the beginning of next year who will be in charge of producing the next U2 album.

November 2007 - JT Reissue

January 2008 - U2 3D

February through June 2008 - Utter silence. People start bitching.

July 2008 - New clips leak, rumors start spreading about an imminent new album.

September 2008 - Single #1 released.

October 2008 - New album released.

November 2008 - Promo tour begins. U2 plays gigs in old, abandoned Dublin strip clubs.

January 2008 - Single #2 released. Still no b-sides. But a crappy Jacknife Lee mix of Mercy is released with it.

March 2008 - Proper tour begins. U2 flips off every continent except for North America and Europe. I shout for joy!

June 2008 - Single #3 released. Still no b-sides.

January 2009 - Rumors leak out that a new project is being worked on. Passengers II?

February 2009 - A PLEBAn asks Edge about this project and he starts laughing hysterically. Interference groans.

November 2009 - The previous rumors appear to be true. To buy themselves time, U2 release best of 2000-2010 even though it's not 2010 yet.

June 2010 - Passengers II leaks onto the internet. It clearly has nothing to do with Passengers, but folks stubbornly call it that anyway.

August 2010 - Passengers II is released.

March 2015 - Out of sheer boredom, folks argue about whether or not Passengers II should count as a U2 album.

Back
Top Bottom