Rubin/Eno/Lanois: the first double U2 album ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
We're hearing a lot of talk about the music oozing out of the band in Morocco, and they still plan to go back to Rubin too.

What if they did an actual double album (not a mix of studio/live stuff like Rattle and Hum) ?

Side A: Rubin related stuff (let's assume it all sounds like the beach clips, ie closer to ATYCLB and Bomb sounds)

Side B: Eno/Lanois stuff (very different, non-Western pop shaped music)

Would you like that, or do you think they will press on with Eno/Lanois alone and keep the Rubin stuff for a later album ?

I would be into a number of things;

*A Double album (although I don't really think this is all that viable in today's musical climate)

*A staggered double album (Rubin album first, then Eno/Lanois six months later, or vice versa - See Kid A and Amnesiac)

*An album, then an EP (or two or three) half a year or a year later, to have things come out somewhat consistently until another new album

Either or any way, I think they're cooking up SOMETHING along these lines. Whether its an album and a soundtrack, U2 and Passengers, just a string of EPs as well as digital-only stuff... I think there will be a wealth of material coming along in the next 2-3 years (at least compared to the Album -> Dry Spell that's been happening fairly consistently since Pop).

U2girl said:

Would you like that, or do you think they will press on with Eno/Lanois alone and keep the Rubin stuff for a later album ?

:yes:
But I think that, since they have very few material from 2006 sessions, those songs could be kept for an EP this fall, to kill our hunger.

Or, your idea. They seem to be pretty excited about Fez sessions and these must be far more original and productive than the rubin ones. So, I'd rather go with an album based in Fez sessions and take the 2006 songs plus some outtakes, rework it, and release a quick album later.

or maybe a planned out Achtung/Zooropa-type release.

one album kicks off the tour, then the next album comes out mid-tour to support the 2nd half.

Irvine511 said:

one album kicks off the tour, then the next album comes out mid-tour to support the 2nd half.

A good notion, especially for those who see the tour's 2nd half, when presumably the setlist would be refined to showcase the strongest material from both the albums (although, inevitably, there'll always be a place in the setlists for old favourites like Pride and BTBS lol).

I would despise a double album. How many truly good double albums have there been from any band? Not many. Stadium Arcadium is an example of why double albums let you include pointless material that would be best relegated to b-sides or the trash bin (bring it on, bitches!). The Joshua Tree would've made an interesting double album, but it would've had far less impact than it did in the form we got. The b-sides from that time were fantastic---but many of them are only great as b-sides; the inclusion of some may have been nice, but inclusion of all of them would've watered down the album.

From the way the Rubin and Fez material sound to be so distinctly different, I'd much prefer that there be two different projects. One big reason is that we've already seen that the more producers involved in an album, the less cohesive the album will be. Second, thematically, I'd prefer to have an album with its own distinct feel----a la JT, AB, Zooropa, and pretty much the bulk of their catalog outside of R&H and HTDAAB (and, I'd argue, Pop). Even if the two projects were kept "separate" by being two discs of a double album, they'd still belong to the same album to me.

I like the idea that Irivine proposed----an AB/Zooropa model of pre-tour and mid-tour release. If they do this, let's just hope that they do it opposite of AB/Zooropa and release the "left-field" music (Fez) as the main album, and the stuff that's more likely to be predictable (Rubin) mid-tour.

Irvine511 said:

And tour set lists that don't change enough leading to massive Blue Crack server breakage from zillions of posts and threads about the pros and cons of setlists that change or don't change and why U2 is or is not a "jam" band like Pearl Jam or the Dead -- excellent! :wink:

Utoo said:
I would despise a double album. How many truly good double albums have there been from any band? Not many. Stadium Arcadium is an example of why double albums let you include pointless material that would be best relegated to b-sides or the trash bin (bring it on, bitches!). The Joshua Tree would've made an interesting double album, but it would've had far less impact than it did in the form we got. The b-sides from that time were fantastic---but many of them are only great as b-sides; the inclusion of some may have been nice, but inclusion of all of them would've watered down the album.

From the way the Rubin and Fez material sound to be so distinctly different, I'd much prefer that there be two different projects. One big reason is that we've already seen that the more producers involved in an album, the less cohesive the album will be. Second, thematically, I'd prefer to have an album with its own distinct feel----a la JT, AB, Zooropa, and pretty much the bulk of their catalog outside of R&H and HTDAAB (and, I'd argue, Pop). Even if the two projects were kept "separate" by being two discs of a double album, they'd still belong to the same album to me.

I like the idea that Irivine proposed----an AB/Zooropa model of pre-tour and mid-tour release. If they do this, let's just hope that they do it opposite of AB/Zooropa and release the "left-field" music (Fez) as the main album, and the stuff that's more likely to be predictable (Rubin) mid-tour.

:applaud:

Great view point, I must agree with you Utoo...:yes:

I'd take a single album, ep, or one-off single at this point, just put SOMETHING out.

powerhour24 said:
I'd take a single album, ep, or one-off single at this point, just put SOMETHING out.

U2 has put something out every year for a while now.

2000: ATYCLB
2001: Elevation Tour, Boston DVD
2002: Best of 1990-2000
2003: Slane Castle
2004: HTDAAB
2005: Vertigo DVD, Chicago
2006: U218
2007: Popmart DVD/Imax film

Since they have already have something to keep their pockets full this year, I doubt we'll see anything until late next year.

IrishDawg said:

U2 has put something out every year for a while now.

2000: ATYCLB
2001: Elevation Tour, Boston DVD
2002: Best of 1990-2000
2003: Slane Castle
2004: HTDAAB
2005: Vertigo DVD, Chicago
2006: U218
2007: Popmart DVD/Imax film

Since they have already have something to keep their pockets full this year, I doubt we'll see anything until late next year.

I think he was talking about studio material...

I think post-2000 U2 is much too calculating and meticulous with their work in the studio to ever produce enough worthwhile material to fill a double album.

Canadiens1160 said:
I think post-2000 U2 is much too calculating and meticulous with their work in the studio to ever produce enough worthwhile material to fill a double album.

recent quotes might suggest that post-2006 U2 is aware of how calculating they've been over the past 5 years and are going to calculate to be less calculating.

summer 95 : Recording Original
October 95 : Release
January 96 : recording Pop
July 96 : Release (in theory)
so
summer 08 : Recording Original 2
October 08 : Release
January 09 : recording Album
October 09 : Release (in theory)
But they're going to release finished albums this time because they learned their lesson.

i still maintain that we're going to get some new material and a tour by summer/fall of next year.

i can't see Bono passing up an opportunity to make some noise during a US presidential election.

Actually, U2 has been meticulous and calculating in the studio for the past three albums.

Wouldn't it be cool if a large band (say U2) could release a series of EPs over a year or two instead of the standard 10-14 song product? You can budget-price the CDs and downloads, and you get the promotion everytime another one comes out.

I know they won't do this, but you would thing in this shifting music business, someone would try something different just to be noticed.

guill said:
summer 95 : Recording Original
October 95 : Release
January 96 : recording Pop
July 96 : Release (in theory)
so
summer 08 : Recording Original 2
October 08 : Release
January 09 : recording Album
October 09 : Release (in theory)
But they're going to release finished albums this time because they learned their lesson.

WTF?

NO WAY IS RUBIN INVOLVED NOW. I THINK THEY THOUGHT ABOUT BUT THEY ARE DEFINITELY GOING IN A MORE CREATIVE DIRECTION. BONO'S HAIR SAYS IT ALL. IF THEY PLAY IT SAFE AGAIN THEY ARE RUNNING THE RISK OF BECOMING A BON JOVI, CREED, AIR SUPPLY, YES, ETC ETC ETC. BTW I AM DIGGING MORE AND MORE OF THE POPMART ERA. I AM JUST NOT SURE HOW MUCH MORE PUSHIN OUR BOYS CAN DO. I THINK WE MAY HAVE OUR EXPECTATIONS WAY OUT OF WHACK...............YOU GOTTA LIVE WITH YOUR DREAMS DON'T MAKE THEM SO HARD........HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

cseggleton said:
NO WAY IS RUBIN INVOLVED NOW. I THINK THEY THOUGHT ABOUT BUT THEY ARE DEFINITELY GOING IN A MORE CREATIVE DIRECTION. BONO'S HAIR SAYS IT ALL. IF THEY PLAY IT SAFE AGAIN THEY ARE RUNNING THE RISK OF BECOMING A BON JOVI, CREED, AIR SUPPLY, YES, ETC ETC ETC. BTW I AM DIGGING MORE AND MORE OF THE POPMART ERA. I AM JUST NOT SURE HOW MUCH MORE PUSHIN OUR BOYS CAN DO. I THINK WE MAY HAVE OUR EXPECTATIONS WAY OUT OF WHACK...............YOU GOTTA LIVE WITH YOUR DREAMS DON'T MAKE THEM SO HARD........HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

No need to shout. In case you don't know all caps is seen by many on the internet as shouting. :|
Dana

get over it. i think you need to read what is being typed then determine if the person was shouting.

cseggleton said:
get over it. i think you need to read what is being typed then determine if the person was shouting.

It is a fact that all caps is considered shouting. If no one tells a person this then they may go on for some time doing it without realising the connotation that goes along with it. I for one was very happy that someone told me a long time ago that caps=shouting so was simply passing on information. I think by saying "in case you don't know..." I pretty well covered the possibility that you did not intend to shout. Did I not put a big enough grin on the smiley for you to realize that I was not being mean? I apologize for the apparent offense, but was honestly only trying to be helpful.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom