Roughly 3 months later, where does NLOTH fall in your album rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just seeing if people were pay attention, yes it's in reverse...

I do like October, it's just rare that I listen to it anymore, except Tomorrow.

After the first tier (Achtung and Joshua), somewhere in that 2nd tier with ATYCLB, HTDAAB, UF, War. But it's still oscillating wildly. It could slip into the the 3rd tier with Pop, Zoo, Boy and October. And there's a slim chance it could pop into the top tier with Baby and Tree. But that will depend on how the songs resonate live.

JT
AB
NLOTH
UF
ATYCLB
Zooropa
Pop
October
Boy
Bomb
R&H
War

At least for this week.

1. Achtung Baby :rockon: :drool:

2. Boy :rockon:

3. NLOTH :heart:

4. Zooropa :love:

5. Pop :love:

6. October :love:

7. War :up:

8. Passengers

9. JT

10. HTDAAB :hmm:

11. R&H :hmm:

12. UF :|

13. ATYCLB :doh:

NLOTH moves 1 up on my list.

1. AB
2. NLOTH
3. Boy

I think my #1 album is safe, but that can change too after the tour.

I don't know how you people can rank the albums in such an exact way. My favourite album tends to be whatever I'm listening to at the time. :huh:

to be honest ; i haven't played the album for the last 2 weeks ....

I'm listening to it now, but before that it had been about 3 or 4 weeks. I love the album, but I'm not playing it to death the way I have other U2 new releases.

Something I absolutely love about my relationship with U2 is that I could never compose a ranked list of all the records as so many of you have done.

Each record has its greatness & its weakness, but there have been times in my U2 fandom for each, at least once, when "this record" was the best!

But the question as to the durability and desirability of NLOTH now that we have allowed for it to sink in over some time would require a sure and solid response. NLOTH is a great album.

Well I just got my U2 album CDs out, and had a bash at rank ordering all 12 of them. Here's what I came up with:

1 - The Joshua Tree
Consistent album and surely the main classic. The only song I don't really care for is MOTD. Can listen to the album all the way through and always get a great feeling from it.

2 - Achtung Baby
Another timeless classic. Couple here I don't like, but literally just a couple (ZS, TTTYAATW). All the rest are great.

3 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Songs like Grace and New York let this album down a bit (so does Elevation), but it has two of my favourites ever on it (Walk On and Kite) and on a whole is pretty consistent really.

4 - War
New Year's Day is my favourite U2 song maybe, so War naturally had to rank high. Also love 40, SBS, and LAS. Few stinkers on here though such as Red Light and The Refugee.

5 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Very accessible and very similar to ATYCLB in terms of ranking for me. Miracle Drug and SYCMIOYO are huge favourites for me. As I said, pretty similar to ATYCLB, but slightly less consistent.

6 - No Line On The Horizon
So it looks like the latest U2 album made my top half. On a whole I think it's a good album. There's really nothing wrong with it, and it's rather consistent. However, it's one of those albums for me where I cannot find an obvious favourite. Magnificent might be my favourite. But really, it's not up there with my favourites from most of the other albums. So yeah, a consistent album, most songs are pretty good, but that's as far as it goes for me.

7 - Pop
Pop is not the strongest album. But it does have some songs I really like, such as IGWSHA, DYFL, and Gone. SATS is ok. I love the single version of Please, but found the album version to be naff.

8 - The Unforgettable Fire
Like Pop, I found TUF to be rather inconsistent. Other than this though, the title track itself is one of my favourite U2 songs ever. Wire is pretty cool. And ASOH is a nice opener.

9 - Boy
As it's the first album it's gonna have it's flaws. For me there is not a song on this album that I love. However, at the same time I don't hate any of them either, and can listen to it all, which is not a bad sign.

10 - Rattle And Hum
I really like AIWIY and Heartland. But that's it. AOH is ok. But the whole half studio/half live thing put me right off, and I don't think it works as an album. But it does spawn a couple of good songs.

11 - October
This for me is the same as Boy but even worse. Every song on this album I find average and forgettable. But none of these songs are terrible... just forgettable.

12 - Zooropa
There's hardly anything I like about this album. Stay was ok. That's it.

So in conclusion, the new album NLOTH has a comfortable spot in my top half. :wink:

first post on here in awhile...i didnt get bored of the album, but i just had it on reply SO much, i put it away for while. started listening to it again and it's still a great album. the only couple songs I dont like on it I REALLY don't like now, but all my favorites are still as strong.

I'd rank it in top 5, definetly behind AB and JT......

I had a very similar experience

I think I overdosed on NL:huh:TH

LOL

Plus I recently found u2start & was going crazy downloading older stuff to my MP3 Player

I probably did not listen to NLOTH very much the last two weeks until today after about four times of POP I put NL:love:TH on:hug:

Agree with you on Top 5 behind AB JT

:hi5:

luckily, i listen to so many other bands that i never OD'd on NLOTH, it's just been at the front of my regular rotation for the last 3 months.

i now put it in the #2 spot before Achtung Baby, narrowly beating UF and Pop.

Before AB:huh: WOW

LOL

I have actually tried to listen to other bands but alas they may have one or two good songs & that is it

I tried KOL , Depeche Mode , Daughtry & The Killers but still it was like two or so songs were ok

I do like old INXS w/ Michael Hutchence not so much the new guy

Before AB:huh: WOW

LOL

I have actually tried to listen to other bands but alas they may have one or two good songs & that is it

I tried KOL , Depeche Mode , Daughtry & The Killers but still it was like two or so songs were ok

I do like old INXS w/ Michael Hutchence not so much the new guy

no, i meant:

1. AB
2. NLOTH
3. UF
4. Pop
5. Zooropa

yep, that's my top 5.

O ok

I must be an old dinosaur Mikal because your favorite's at the bottom of your posts I only recognize #1 after that I have never even heard of the groups you have there:reject:

LOL

O ok

I must be an old dinosaur Mikal because your favorite's at the bottom of your posts I only recognize #1 after that I have never even heard of the groups you have there:reject:

LOL

lol, well i'm almost 30 (not too old i guess), and i've always had a thing for staying relevant. :lol: :wink:

pop
achtung baby
boy
joshua tree
no line on the horizon
unforgettable fire
all that you can't leave behind
zooropa
rattle and hum
war
how to dismantle an atomic bomb
october

I know everyone has their own opinions and personal tastes that should be respected but I really just cant understand the logic of putting Pop as U2's best album. My favorite album changes by mood so I cant really say which is their best but i know I would never think to put Pop as my #1.

Haven't posted in awhile. I've been listening to it maybe once a week for the last month.

For me right now, nothing tops JT or AB by miles. It's just the way it is.

As far as other albums, I still love UF and R&H more than the others.

Boy, October, War, good albums, some really great tunes and I'm amazed they were as young as they were when they wrote them. But I've listened to them a bazillion times and they don't get alot of play from me anymore. Still, they are great records. Up there with JT, AB, or UF? No, not for me.

Zooropa: Absolutely great for it's time, but it has gotten old for me. I still love the title track, but most of it is filler at this point.

Ok, here's my take on POP: great album, but somehow the album and tour was marred by lack of interest/no huge single/seeemingly trying to cash in on the techno thing/and their image. No need to debate; it's a good album but could've been a bit better. Their apologetic attitude didn't help either.

Ok, now: the last trilogy:

ATYCLB: Great few songs (BD, Stuck, Walk On, Kite, IALW) but the rest is boring. Definitley the comeback album they needed though.

Bomb: Some great tunes, but seems like an over stuffed sandwhich; too much always going on and kinda not as filling. Fav's are COBL and OOTS.
Vertigo can suck it.

NLOTH: yeah........it's good.........the best tunes for me are still the first 5 and Cedars. Everyone knows my hatred of Boots and SUC. I dunno. It seems like an odd collection of tunes.....not so much a coherant album, and most of all: while I think it's amazing they're still doing it at a high level, the magic is gone. The genius is gone. It's all rehashed in some way, and any "new" ideas are due to Eno. The band plays great, and Bono I think sounds the best than he's sounded in a decade. Also, his lyrics, mostly, are great.
But at this point, I've heard it all before from them. I know everyone will disagree and bash me but go ahead.
Still, the live appearances sound strong and I'm looking forward to the tour.

Good for them. What a career. Amazing.

I'll go with a tiered system:

AB
JT
UF/ Zooropa/ Pop/ NLOTH
Boy
War/ R&H/ ATYCLB
October/ HTDAAB

Back
Top Bottom