Moment Of Surrender Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fucking brilliant, my instant favorite. i don't think in the end it will be my favorite on the album, but it really suits my mindset at the moment. (it's the miracle drug for this album, for me)

what amazing lyrics, some really brilliant lyrics. my favorite lyric off the album is "two souls too smart to be in the realm of certainty"

and the music is amazing too.

This song, more than any on the album, made me sit back in surprise of Bono's voice. I was really stunned and proud of him for just belting out that first line :ohmy: it really pierces the gut right away, wow!

Wow........second time I have listened to it and what an amazing song. They need to release this as a single. I don't care how but just make it a bit shorter so it can be released as a single.

I've heard a few people comparing this to Miracle Drug, this song is light years ahead of MD it's up around One and WOWY. And yes Bono does an icredible job on this.

"I was speeding on the subway through the stations of the cross, every eye looking every other way, counting down till the pain would stop"

I believe this is the best U2 lyric ever!

Just listening to it for the first time now whilst nodding my head with total approval!

Yes that lyric ruined it
i wouldn't go that far. it's just silly. it's not like he takled about god being a little old lady or his ego a small child.

and there've been sillier lyrics juxtaposed with better ones in other u2 songs, anyway. it's not even a dumb idea, just a very common misnomer.

This has been a type of ballad I have wanted U2 to deliver!
I'll cop it for this but this is so much better than One. Could this replace it? I hope! :reject::love::drool:

This song is so emotional! I'm such a sook.

Loved it first listen, then kind of *didn't* on 2nd, 3rd, 4th listens. Maybe it'll grow, but for now it's just not grabbing me nearly as much as many others.

And not even in the ballpark of One (or WOWY, or Stay). I like it fine, just not doing backflips. I really expected to like it more.

I am not yet sure about how much I like this song, but I find it completely bold and raw.

It's an unusual mix between the smooth sounds and the roar of Bono's voice, and it caught me offguard too. The usual U2 strategy would have been for Bono to start in his lower octave and at the end sing some incredible high note. It's a good strategy, but it's not that surprising anymore. This is a brave and unexpected move, as is sticking with the original (and only) take rather than re-recording it and cleaning it up.

The lyrics are perhaps a bit too vague (from what I understand) to be at the level of the lyrics of One, but they have a mad improvisatory and heartfelt feel that makes up for it to some extent. I can imagine that the original One improvisation in Berlin (the one that is explained in U2 by U2 Until the end of the world and other books on the band) must have sounded a bit like this.

A song to listen to again and again

Great singing, great lyrics but the whole sound and rhythm sounds very dull - I feel this is the only thing that lets the song down for me.

Great tune, that ATM Machine line gets me though..that's like saying automatic teller machine machine :doh:

that will stick out every time I hear it

Back
Top Bottom