MERGED ----> U2 Now In France Working On Album + U2 move album sessions to France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he says they're touring in 09 then it's quite obvious that the album will have a similar release date to HTDAAB - before the end of the year. Otherwise, I doubt a full blown tour will be in the cards, at least for the greater part of 09.

Fall release --> Cash in over Christmas and New Year --> Tour at the beginning of April or so --> Live DVD for the summer, and another for the next Christams season, along with the remastered albums. This gives the single a few Grammys, and the album the rest of them the following year...

Is it just me or do these last two reports conflict with each other?

One says they've moved to France, the other said they are back in Dublin?

Anyways, Lillywhite coming in is probably a good sign in terms of how close they are to wrapping things up. I guess.

Joe O'Herhily is U2's sound tech guru since the beginning - Live and studio) What he means by "in the can" is that principal recording is finished. (not the album) Now the songs need to be mixed. I believe that Steve Lillywhite is likely being brought in to do part of that job. Since Eno and Lanois are co-writers this time around and again co-instrumentalists, they probably have other projects to tend to and Lillywhite will work on mixing many of the the final tracks. Then the tracks have to go to Los Angeles or New York for mastering...

Also - The Hungarian girl's account is really interesting. It sounds like they have some songs -"in the can"

I like the sound of the african rythms - this could mean something as beautiful as Mysterious Ways...

I'd say if they are recording finishing touches in France and Lillywhite is there to mix, this album will be out in the fall. Just in time for Grammys this year and next, also holiday marketing of the album, spring, summer tour....

Also - Live Nation contract for tour is signed - That's a done deal. They have already had their first tour meeting - from Catherine Owens...
I believe U2 will celebrate the wrap of this album in France..

FALL 08 it is! Done! Now will someone get thier butt out to that beach villa and get us some recordings!

The only questions remaing... Are they hungry enough? Inspired Enough? Or will this be another ATYCLB? (great album, I just like AB better...)

U2DMfan said:

The truth is we don't know and Sleep Over Jack could very well be right. I think 'Elevation' was ruled out, as Bono said that it was a seperate song from those that ended up on ATYCLB.

It could be just sitting on the shelf. Then again, they didn't put it out with Levitation and the rest of the ATYCLB leftovers on the digi box set.

Combined with this, the age of the song (hasn't seen the light of day in near a decade) and the fact that Larry said it was his favorite and yet it supposedly didn't even make HTDAAB (an album said to have a LACK of songs by the band in fall 2003)......

I've always just theorized that it combined with 'Love and Peace'* to become 'Love and Peace or Else'.

*-similar to how 'Tough' and 'Sometimes' became 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' and 'Home' and 'whatever it was called' became Walk On.

For those not familiar, all of these songs, Tough, Sometimes, Home, Love and Peace, along with many others, Sun Moon and Stars was another, were written on the big white board during the ATYCLB sessions.

The way Bulldozer was described, I've always just thought that it sounded like the music from LAPOE. I don't know how Larry, considering how much sway he seemed to have over track selection (especially) on HTDAAB. I just don't know if it would sit there if it demanded to be heard as is. My guess is they compromised and Larry got part of the music in there on HTDAAB.
Just an idea.

Interesting. I recall something about Bulldozer being a different song to Elevation but I can't remember what that was all about..I think you might be right, it could have become LAPOE, the guitar sound would fit, although there was that heavy-sounding song on that clip from the Lanois film a while back..

U2DMfan said:

Anyways, Lillywhite coming in is probably a good sign in terms of how close they are to wrapping things up. I guess.

I guess they are (were?) in Dublin since U2valencia reported it, but are leaving for France soon.

So if Lillywhite is there, he's mixing the songs (as he did on JT, AB and ATYCLB). That would suggest they're pretty far along right ?

U2 were in France for at least a week or two (Bono and Edge were both seen several times, and quite possibly Larry's kids, which would suggest he was there too), and Bono was at Cannes on Friday (and Saturday?) They must've just gotten back to Dublin.

....so then all the possible songs are written and the vocals and everything are already recorded...? or am i missing something :huh:

ramblin rose said:
The article on U2valencia says:

After some weeks of rest, U2 has returned today to the studios in Dublin. Josestation was able confirm the return to work of the group.

In addition, he was invited by Bono to listen to one of the new songs which Bono defined as "psychedelic pop". The song is very instrumental, with african sounds at the beginning and end of it.

The big news is that Steve Lillywhite has joined the project of the new album.

More information soon.

Sounds very interesting!

thanks rosa. :hyper::bow:

U2One said:
Wait a second....is the u2valencia article saying that the band are currently back in Dublin right now???? Cause I'm leaving for Dublin in two days........

Im due to fly out tommorow. Im skint so was thinking of cancelling as no one was around but it looks like trip might be on again. :hyper:

I'll check the net tonigt see if any Irish fans have been down today to check about this news. :D

Last edited:
Wait, if they're back in Dublin that means we won't get any beach clips anytime soon! :huh:

On the other hand, all this news sounds really exciting.

last unicorn said:
Wait, if they're back in Dublin that means we won't get any beach clips anytime soon! :huh:

The beachclips were previously recorded in July and August I seem to remember so no need to assume the worst just yet regarding that matter.

They will have time to get a little more work done before Edge has to be in the States for the Icons of Music Auction on the 31st and Bono will be in Japan for a conference with African leaders and Japan's Prime Minister from the 27th to the 30th I think.

Dana

U2DMfan said:

They do, however, I kind of lost faith in the facts of the article as soon as the writer mentioned Windmill Lane. I don't know why but lately these articles have been having trouble keeping their facts straight.

last unicorn said:

That's true, but the first clip we heard in 2004 which was All Because of You was actually recorded outside the studio during the first days of July so there's still a chance for a clip if someone industrious decides to go to the studio.

Oh and if you read the thread on u2eastlink from the guy who heard the song, he seemed really excited about it and said Steve Lillywhite was dancing like a freak and Bono was also moving to the song. Personally, I think it's a good sign when they start having fans listen to the tunes. They didn't do this for HTDAAB until the version that was finally released was ready. No one got to listen to the earlier versions, so they must be feeling comfortable with the material.

Last edited:
It's still peculiar that the two fans who have been invited inside HQ so far didn't want to tell us the title of the song(s).

I wonder if they are telling the truth when they say that they didn't thought about asking or not wanting to share the title with us. Perhaps they promised U2 to keep things quiet until the band can reveal it themselves. :hmm: But it can't really be easy to guess the title of an instrumental song, anyway.:lol:

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Lillywhite usually the closer/lets get the album finished guy?

If so things are looking solid for the Fall 2008 :yes:

I don't know why people could think it's a Spring 09 release, it's pretty obvious that they are far along and on track for a Fall '08 release.

The_Edge89 said:
It's still peculiar that the two fans who have been invited inside HQ so far didn't want to tell us the title of the song(s).

I wonder if they are telling the truth when they say that they didn't thought about asking or not wanting to share the title with us. Perhaps they promised U2 to keep things quiet until the band can reveal it themselves. :hmm: But it can't really be easy to guess the title of an instrumental song, anyway.:lol:

I'm more skeptical of them getting into the studio randomly myself.

And I don't think the song was necessarily instrumental, the impression I got from the description (which I am skeptical of) was that it is an instrumental-heavy song. That might mean the lyrics haven't been fully recorded or weren't being played, or it might mean that it's fuller than we're used to, or it might mean that it's got words but just less of 'em. I don't think U2 would put an instrumental out on an album at this point.

Varitek said:

I'm more skeptical of them getting into the studio randomly myself.

I can confirm how the alaskan girl, Susan got into HQ. It didn't seem like it was arranged to me. Sam got out and asked my brother and me, as well as Susan where we were from. She said America and Sam asked if she'd been in the war and she answered that yes, she had.
He brought her inside and I assume you know the rest.

This videoclip is from that day, the 18th of April, and we got to HQ about an hour after Bono had greeted the fans outside. You can see how Bono is talking to Susan in the first couple of moments. I guess that's how Sam found out who to ask for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0bUyYHAoiM

I'm more sceptical about the Spanish fan if they are in France as stated by Hot Press. It's hard to tell what's correct really. Susan got pictures to prove that she have been inside, we don't know about the Spanish fan yet though.

Last edited:
Okay, they're definitely in Dublin. A friend of mine that's on holiday there just posted a freaking-out message saying she heard them recording a new song.

She was in fan-shock, so her message didn't give any details. I'll relay them when I get them and when I have a chance (I'm about to go out though, it could be a while, sorry)

DreamOutLoud13 said:
She was in fan-shock, so her message didn't give any details. I'll relay them when I get them and when I have a chance (I'm about to go out though, it could be a while, sorry)

Thanks for the head up DOL! :up:
Can't wait, these news are very promising.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Okay, they're definitely in Dublin. A friend of mine that's on holiday there just posted a freaking-out message saying she heard them recording a new song.

:hyper:

:waiting:

For those interested. I put the guys thread from u2 eastlink through google translator so it doesn't translate great but heres an idea of his description of the song.

Sounds Africans at the beginning and shortly before the end of the song, clear influence Moroccan. Do not echeis hands to the head, and integrates very well to accompany the melody of the song and let alone throw to lose a major issue which I hope will be part of the album ueva

bonoishot said:

For those interested. I put the guys thread from u2 eastlink through google translator so it doesn't translate great but heres an idea of his description of the song.

I just finished translating it manually and posted it in the (silly) atyclb2 thread.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
:ohmy: My friend just hinted that she recorded 3 and a half minutes of the song she heard.

Hopefully I'll have my paws on it soon.

:ohmy: :censored: :ohmy:
Now I really can't wait to hear your friend's report from Dublin!!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
:ohmy: My friend just hinted that she recorded 3 and a half minutes of the song she heard.

OMFG NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU !!!!

This is wokring out nicely as I'm leaving for Dublin tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to head over to Hanover Quay....I wonder if Bono will make a surprise appearance the Bruce Springsteen show in Dublin. He's playing there Thursday, Friday and Sunday I believe....I'll be there Thursday night..

DreamOutLoud13 said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! When you think you can get it???????????

This is wokring out nicely as I'm leaving for Dublin tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to head over to Hanover Quay....I wonder if Bono will make a surprise appearance the Bruce Springsteen show in Dublin. He's playing there Thursday, Friday and Sunday I believe....I'll be there Thursday night..

Wow, there is a good chance that Bono will make an appearance on of those nights. Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom