MERGED ----> U2 Now In France Working On Album + U2 move album sessions to France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure they're making music. They're always making music when they are in Eze. Making music plus relaxing and enjoying the beach/sea/being with friends is the perfect combination. I would love to be able to work like that.

Does that mean a possibility of beach clips soon? Wasn't that where the original ones back in '04 were from?

U2DMfan said:
Perhaps we should start checking domain names again. Does anybody remember the website to do lookups by who is registering the domains?

from U2log's archive

4 years and one day ago

Paul McGuiness said the album would be out in November and the tour would start in March 2005 in Miami

May 17th, 2004

At a speaking engagement, Bono says "the album is nearly there"

June 14, 2004

Bono says he's agonizing over the album title

June 17, 2004

Steve Lillywhite says the single is finished

June 29, 2004

U2Vertigo is found to have been reigistered as a domain name by Sebastian Clayton's company. Speculation about the album title started.

July 5, 2004

Beach clip, motherfucker

July 9, 2004

Album release date

July 13, 2004

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is registered as a domain by Adam's brothers' company.

July 15, 2004

Neil McCormick hears a full playback of the new album

I'll do the 2000 timeline later on, just to see what is what.

Does anybody know the website address then where we can check new registered domain names?

Sorry if I haven't been on lately. Anyways, I heard on the radio that the release was in June, although I highly doubt that. Although it was Bono himself who said it...strange. So they are recording their music now? Let's hope it's done sooner rather then later, since Bono did take another day or two to add an extra song into the album :)

topplehatU2 said:
Does that mean a possibility of beach clips soon? Wasn't that where the original ones back in '04 were from?

It's a possibility for sure, yes. They're usually there, playing music between July and August it seems though.
In the past we've had beach clips from Eze in 2004 and 2006.
A (hungarian?) member on here said last year that she and a friend had been there when they played some new material. Unfortunatley only one other girl seemed to have some kind of recording device with her if I remember correctly. She (or perhaps it was some french people over at u2achtung?) said one of the 2006 clips was played again although further developed with a more dramatic guitar ending, never stated which one of them it was though. And what's even more unfortunate for us greedy fans is that the 2007 beach clips never surfaced if they indeed exist.
If someone could do search please, go ahead, but I'm not a premium member so I can't do it myself other than going through lots of pages to do it.

I checked some of the dates on my beach clips and the first Love and Peace clip says Eze 31.08.2004 and I've labeled the 2006 clips as being leaked on the 18th of July which I believe was when the U2achtung clip of Window In The Skies was uploaded to Youtube. The U2exit clips were uploaded shortly after that if I'm not mistaken.

Also, here are the original posts from 2007 - excl. some smileys - that I mentioned in my previous post merged into one quote:

zsuzso said:

we were in eze on 19 of july and Bono was there. He had some guests in the house, and he played the new songs...new beach songs but as I saw only 1 girl taped it, noone else. we were good girls and we didn't do any disturbing thing. just swimming in the sea and listening the songs and watching bono's dance on the terrace with a glass of wine in his hand the songs are GOOD!! two of them are VERY VERY good!!! they are not finished yet but in some songs you can feel some Marocco there was one song what we heard last year there, but all of the others were very new for us.
it's an unforgettable day.

I don't know what was the number, but we were there last year as well when they play the songs. how lucky we are
the lyrics had changed in that song, I'll check which one was it. but it was the only one from the last year's songs, all ot the other were absolutelly new.

the funniest thing was that the songs were played very loud, we thought we are in a stadion concert and the plus thing was that Bono was singing live with the taped songs so "two Bono" were singing together and sometimes he did some very interesting sound like yeaaaaaa and so on... you can imagine...
and sometimes he did some extremly sexy scream well...yes...the wine...

his guest was an afro american man, he was guite overweight and he was not a young man, but I couldn't recognise who was him. But he had very good voice!!! he was singing with bono, they improvised, they singed together...Bono was singing that do you have my number? and the other man replyed with a very pleasant deep voice. every time Bono was singing this line "do you have my number" we were smiling and whispered that we don't but we would like to have it ... it was fun for us

I don't know...but I think he was not Quincy Jones. this man had more hair than him and was not as old than Quincy. But I really don't know, I didn't see his face clearly. He might be him, but I'm really not sure in it

there was a very big boat near to Bono's house in the sea, and sometimes another man was standing in the terrace and looking in the very big telescope (it's new, Bono and Edge also have one on the terrace), and he was waved to the boat... maybe one of his guest had this boat or yacht or something very expensive thing

we had recording thing (camera) with us but we didn't want to use it. we felt these moments very private for him, and you know...it's his holiday, his house, we were only bathers on the beach and we felt unconfortable to disturbing them and being a bit indiscreet to go to under the terrace and record the songs.
so no picture, not any taped songs

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178493&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

Last edited:
with the history of the band blasting music outside in france, i sure hope someone has bought some state of the art recording devices and took vacation the entire summer.

overweight older African american man w/ nice voice- the guy from Gnarls Barkley?How about them opening next tour, yes please.

WITS said:
Sorry if I haven't been on lately. Anyways, I heard on the radio that the release was in June, although I highly doubt that. Although it was Bono himself who said it...strange. So they are recording their music now? Let's hope it's done sooner rather then later, since Bono did take another day or two to add an extra song into the album :)

If they've got the first single ready they could release that in June which would be earlier than Vertigo was released I think.

Dana

rihannsu said:

If they've got the first single ready they could release that in June which would be earlier than Vertigo was released I think.

Dana

That couldn't make less sense with a November release to release a single that far in advance. I highly doubt you see a single any time before August at the earliest

popacrobat said:

That couldn't make less sense with a November release to release a single that far in advance. I highly doubt you see a single any time before August at the earliest

I was just commenting that Bono would more likely have been talking about the release of the single rather than the album release because the first single always comes out before the album. So if he was talking about a June release it would not have been the album. I was only replying to the post by the person who heard the radio report who claimed Bono said something about a June release.

Dana

why would bono say they would release something in June???? hmm this is interesting! I think it would just be a single not the whole album but can we get confirmation that bono actually said this on the radio???? which stn was it?? details!

rihannsu said:

I was just commenting that Bono would more likely have been talking about the release of the single rather than the album release because the first single always comes out before the album. So if he was talking about a June release it would not have been the album. I was only replying to the post by the person who heard the radio report who claimed Bono said something about a June release.

Dana

Everyone keeps saying November release, but the last official word we've heard was actually an October release, according to Paul M. Even assuming that though, June seems pretty far ahead.

sorry to be a pessimist, but the earliest we'll hear anything is September.....if the album hasn't been delayed.

If the album is out in October, we'd get a single in August probably, September single for a November release.

WITS said:

Was it the the new album he was talking about, or was it the remastered albums? Boy, October, and I think War are all being released in June, so that might've been what he was mentioning?

Acrobat51829 said:

Was it the the new album he was talking about, or was it the remastered albums? Boy, October, and I think War are all being released in June, so that might've been what he was mentioning?

Hahaha... that makes sense. I even overlooked that. It has to be the remasters he's talking about, i think we're all caught up in the new album and completely forgot about remasteres lol

Reading this thread makes me wonder what it was like back in 1991...no Internet, no websites, nothing.

Any longtime fans want to remind us of the Dark Ages?

nathan1977 said:
Reading this thread makes me wonder what it was like back in 1991...no Internet, no websites, nothing.

Good point - by the time I got into popular music and especially U2 there were sites like this, which have always been better sources of information than anything 'official'. But, the major flipside will always be rumours that - in retrospect - frequently turn out to be unfounded.

But, in 1991, I imagine that it was actually better in some ways, when new songs and albums would just arrive without internet leaks. Fans could actually hear something genuinely 'new' for the first time, without having heard the leaked rough mix before the band went off in a different direction etc. I also imagine there would've been more of an emphasis on getting information from the music press, or from whatever printed material Propaganda sent out in those days. I suppose there also would've been a thriving fanzine movement, which probably metamorphosed into internet fansites.

One thing that would've been better in 1991 though was that there probably wasn't the laughable amounts of speculation and analysis on song titles that seems so prevalent now!

I remember seeing an ad in Rolling Stone for Zooropa about a week before it came out. Other than that, my brother would just go to the Record Exchange once a week and look at their blackboard with a vague schedule of upcoming releases.

nathan1977 said:

i remember going to Strawberries -- remember those? -- every few months in 1994 and 1995 asking about a new U2 album, and i just got weird looks, and they said, let us look at the album release chart, and it only went, like, 12 weeks in advance.

I recall in 1991, I had not heard anything at all since they went away "to dream it all up again".

I realize there were some leaks and some buzz, but I was young and not really paying attention.

My first inkling an album was coming out was when I was reading the paper in front of the TV and the opening guitar strains of the Fly played in front of a dark, flashy, intriguing video. That night, the guitar solo kept spinning through my head until I had to bolt to the store for a cassette single the next day.

It was my most brilliant musical experience ever. Imagine just minding your own business with U2 not even being on your mind for over a year and getting hit with that?

Wow!

In 1990/91 I went to Tower Books every Saturday and read all the 'British' music mags...NME/Melody Maker/Q and some other mags that have since bit the dust, just to get any word on the new U2 albums. I remember the first news in early 1990 was that they were breaking up, and then in late '90 they were recording with Eno in Berlin...then I heard the first single was to be (She Moves In) Mysterious Ways...and then I finally found out the first single was going to "The Fly"...that was from March of 1990 to late August of 1991...but I only got that information every Saturday. That took some serious dedication. I can't remember the last time I actually got 'new' information from a magazine...:scratch:

I used to go to Tower a lot, too. Besides the British magazines, there was also a magaize call ICE that gave advanced word on albums coming out. DJs at rock stations would often times know what was going on. I used to call one guy in the bay area and ask him for the lastest dirt.

Tim Wallach said:
I recall in 1991, I had not heard anything at all since they went away "to dream it all up again".

I realize there were some leaks and some buzz, but I was young and not really paying attention.

My first inkling an album was coming out was when I was reading the paper in front of the TV and the opening guitar strains of the Fly played in front of a dark, flashy, intriguing video. That night, the guitar solo kept spinning through my head until I had to bolt to the store for a cassette single the next day.

It was my most brilliant musical experience ever. Imagine just minding your own business with U2 not even being on your mind for over a year and getting hit with that?

Wow!

i liked those days better...

information over-load + increased hype machine = inevitable let down if it's not the greatest thing EVER.

Back
Top Bottom