MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's one of their best ever, but it's a good song, and it's growing on me. Very catchy. The end is fantastic; it really makes the song. Sounds like the lyrics are some of Bono's best as of late, too.

I don't know if I'd say this is better than anything on HTDAAB though...as of now I like OOTS and Vertigo better :wink: but this is definitely a good song. Right now I'm giving it like 7.5/10.

I hope this song becomes a hit...Bono's little heart will be broken if it's not... :wink:

I think this song will do well. If stuff like The Fray can be so popular, surely this can, as it's a million times better but just as catchy (if not more so).

namkcuR said:
Has anybody made out/written out the lyrics yet?

there's a thread with this, but I'll repost here, since I just copied and pasted for another person:

Window in the skies

The shackles are undone
The bullet’s quit the gun
The heat that’s in the sun
Will keep us when its done

The rule has been disproved
The stone it has been moved
The grain is now a groove
All debts are removed

Oh can’t you see what our love has done
What it’s doing to me

Love makes strange enemies
Makes love where love may please
Soul in a strip tease
Hate brought to its knees

Sky over our head
Can reach it from our bed
If you let me in your heart
And out of my head

What it’s doing to me

Oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh
Please don’t ever let me out of here!
I’ve got no shame, oh no, oh no!

Oh can’t you see what love has done
Oh can’t you see…
What it’s doing to me

I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder but you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

to every broken heart
for every heart that cries
love let a window in the skies
and to love I rhapsodize
Oh can’t you see

LuvandPeace1980 said:
does anyone have a non radiohead bit version.. i need to hear the start if the song

Surely you don't NEED to hear the starting! ;)

Just wait and before you know, it'll be out legally! :wink:

What a amazing song.

An album with songs of similair quality would deserve masterpeice status.

AtomicBono said:
I don't think it's one of their best ever, but it's a good song, and it's growing on me. Very catchy. The end is fantastic; it really makes the song. Sounds like the lyrics are some of Bono's best as of late, too.

I don't know if I'd say this is better than anything on HTDAAB though...as of now I like OOTS and Vertigo better :wink: but this is definitely a good song. Right now I'm giving it like 7.5/10.

I hope this song becomes a hit...Bono's little heart will be broken if it's not... :wink:

I think this song will do well. If stuff like The Fray can be so popular, surely this can, as it's a million times better but just as catchy (if not more so).

Okay you pretty much said it all, I don't have to add much.

Not crazy about the song but I like it. Love the guitar, esp. in the chorus! Like how the song title is buried deep (and late) in the lyrics. Somewhat better lyrics than most of ATYCLB or Bomb.

Its pretty good. I dont think its on par with their greatest songs ever though, not even close. To me I can see why they put this on the Greatest Hits disc and didnt save it for the next studio album. Its encouraging though because its a decent song which means they have better ones they are saving for the next album.

Its definately better than any of the new tunes they put on the other greatest hits though.

Blows. Trite lyrics, unmemorable music. A lot of you are just excited to hear new U2.........and I know a lot of you listen to hardly anything other than U2, hence the bias.

To be honest, it's probably the laziest U2 song yet. At least "Crumbs" had an important social message behind it........this is just Bono coming up with a hummable, repetitive chorus...........it's like latter Oasis, rather than, you know, something of an important act.

it's soooo difficult to judge how good a song is the DAY it comes out....I started out really really liking it...but, to be dead honest....something tells me this song just isn't that great...I don't think it's going to stand the test of time...it seems like it's merely a catchy pop tune...I'm sure it will be a huge hit on the radio though....that said...my opinion could change in the next day or two...

welcome to the blue crack Amiarockstar!!:wink:

i admit it is not up there with the likes of Bad, IWF or SBS.. To me its in the same category as Electrical Storm which is the first song I can think of right now..

Last edited:
rock888nwo said:
it's soooo difficult to judge how good a song is the DAY it comes out....I started out really really liking it...but, to be dead honest....something tells me this song just isn't that great...I don't think it's going to stand the test of time...it seems like it's merely a catchy pop tune...I'm sure it will be a huge hit on the radio though....that said...my opinion could change in the next day or two...

I agree completely. Anytime something new by U2 comes out there is always the typical overreaction ranging from "Its the greatest ever!", to "It sucks". Only time tells on these things. My reaction to it was, its alright, not fantastic, not bad. My opinion may change for the good or the bad by next year. I loved Electrical Storm when it came out. Now I think its just a decent song.

U2 have been my favorite band bsaically since I was born and I try not to listen to them over and over so the music never gets old or so I don't sound biased. The point is yeah I do love everything U2 puts out but I didnt get chills listening to any of the songs from ATYCLB or HTDAAB the first time. Ive just listened to Windows In The Skies and this is a special one. The pace of this song, the immediecy (is that a word) ,the melody, bono and the band sound absolutely amazing! I love it. I know some of you feel differently and thats cool. But this is U2, and I think some one has finally found them and got them making classic unforgettable tunes again. Ok thats it.

Not bad. But am I the only one who prefers the sparse 400 clip? The working song had, I don't know, an eerier, more spine-tingly feel about it. Maybe it's just because the quality is bad, but I don't hear any drums in the beach clip (other than a simple beat towards the end.) I liked that in the clip. Also, what happened to the nice, prominent piano? To me, the whole thing just peaks too early. I think that maybe if they had kept that quiet piano intro - sans drums and bass - and extended it through the first verse, first chorus, second verse...and THEN exploded into the current version of the chorus, it would have been amazing.

Still, a nice pop song and it will sell bundles of course. It's not enough to make me buy U2:18, but maybe I'll pick up the single.

GibsonGirl said:
Not bad. But am I the only one who prefers the sparse 400 clip? The working song had, I don't know, an eerier, more spine-tingly feel about it.

Yeah - the newer version has some sparkly, almost uplifting parts that may conflict a bit with the message. Sort of like Crumbs.

The lyrics are actually very uplifting in taken in a spritual context, so in a way it fits very fell.

That's Radiohead lol... the radio station over lapped the songs. I was confused at first too.

So the song is really growing on me now...

:drool:

GibsonGirl said:
Still, a nice pop song and it will sell bundles of course. It's not enough to make me buy U2:18, but maybe I'll pick up the single.

Well, the Milan footage is worth the purchase of the U2:18 limited edition. I don't like the two new songs at all, and agree with the majority here that the compilation itself is useless for fans, but paying $12 or so on the day it comes out for what amounts to half of a Milan show isn't bad, especially if the compilation comes with a rumored forty page booklet.

Sicy said:
That's Radiohead lol... the radio station over lapped the songs. I was confused at first too.

So the song is really growing on me now...

:drool:

You are right the falsetto int he beginning is the ending of Fake Plastic Trees...i read that earlier but didnt ahve the song so it didnt click!

I wonder how much of the intro to Window was cut off from the fade-in

Did you guys noticed how great are the drums of it ?

Everybody includin payed lot of attention on Guitar , Falsettos and melody , but the drums are fucking awesome , just pay attention to it , Great Great job of Lawrence

The_One1932 said:
How anyone can deny how good this song is... is beyond me. THis song is definetely on par with the best songs of their career.

Take the earplugs out and listen. How can you say after listening to this for a few hours that this is on a par with their best songs. Fuc# thats definetly going over the top. You know when I first heard The Fly back in October 1991, I didn't say Wowo thats their best song ever! But I do now cos The Fly is! To me this new song sounds pretty damn ordinary. Fuc# this band are going from bad to worse. Its uninspired throwaway pop music. "Ohh cant you see" repeated over and over. Its boring pop music. This has less lasting appeal than Vertigo.

rjhbonovox said:

Take the earplugs out and listen. How can you say after listening to this for a few hours that this is on a par with their best songs. Fuc# thats definetly going over the top. You know when I first heard The Fly back in October 1991, I didn't say Wowo thats their best song ever! But I do now cos The Fly is! To me this new song sounds pretty damn ordinary. Fuc# this band are going from bad to worse. Its uninspired throwaway pop music. "Ohh cant you see" repeated over and over. Its boring pop music. This has less lasting appeal than Vertigo.

Maybe you'll finally stop posting here then! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom