MERGED ----> New Album Update! + BONO: 'U2 Fans will feel difference on new album'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utoo said:

To me, he's actually saying they'll only put out one album of the cream of the crop. "We have enough for two albums, but it has to be extraordinary." That seems to me like an album now of the best and then great leftovers for b-sides or the next album down the road.

The article quoted shows how Bono quotes get taken way out of context, create wrong expectations of the album, and then get Bono slagged by wannabe-funny fans down the road. A Bono hyperbole of "Edge is playing molten metal" becomes a headline of "U2 album inspired by metal." :tsk:

Spot on!

shart1780 said:
I was really excited when I first read this, but then I realized that Bono said it, and that his words most likely don't mean anything.

After carefully analyzing Bono's pre-release pronouncements over the last ten years, I've come up with a sophisticated algorithm which extracts the real meaning from his coded hyperbole. Applying this method to the latest comments, this is what we get:

Actual comment: "We're just beginning the processes."
Real meaning: Sometime stole the cocktail napkin on which I was writing my latest lyric ideas.

"But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal."
Edge has taught himself to play glockenspiel.

"There's some trance influences."
We've been listening to the new James Taylor album, which really bowled us over. We're thinking acoustic might be the way to go.

"It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."
At this point, it sounds exactly like Bomb, but with some work, we can make it sound more like ATYCLB.

"It was a drummer's paradise."
Larry left the band.

"We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary. And I think we've got that."
We're going to release an EP.

bgmckinney said:
After carefully analyzing Bono's pre-release pronouncements over the last ten years, I've come up with a sophisticated algorithm which extracts the real meaning from his coded hyperbole. Applying this method to the latest comments, this is what we get:

Actual comment: "We're just beginning the processes."
Real meaning: Sometime stole the cocktail napkin on which I was writing my latest lyric ideas.

"But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal."
Edge has taught himself to play glockenspiel.

"There's some trance influences."
We've been listening to the new James Taylor album, which really bowled us over. We're thinking acoustic might be the way to go.

"It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."
At this point, it sounds exactly like Bomb, but with some work, we can make it sound more like ATYCLB.

"It was a drummer's paradise."
Larry left the band.

"We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary. And I think we've got that."
We're going to release an EP.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This post wins!

Ugh, as excited as I get from all these tidbits (that we've been getting for over a year), it's just false-starts until we have concrete evidence of a new album coming soon (as in within 6 months) which as long as U2 second guess themselves, and Paul McG is still manager, you can bet October 2008 is the earliest we'll get it.

That said, excellent quotes that'll be exploited here for years to come haha

powerhour24 said:
Ugh, as excited as I get from all these tidbits (that we've been getting for over a year), it's just false-starts until we have concrete evidence of a new album coming soon (as in within 6 months) which as long as U2 second guess themselves, and Paul McG is still manager, you can bet October 2008 is the earliest we'll get it.

That said, excellent quotes that'll be exploited here for years to come haha

agreed. you'll know the album is imminent when you start seeing concrete song titles, and when there's reports of the band taking promotional pictures.

my guess is that around June/July, we'll start getting more news on the first single, and then the rest will be complete madness.

I have a strong feeling this album will shut a lot of critics up. The way theyre so into music this time and bono's voice right now, its shaping up to be pretty damned special.

Whatever it is, I hope its something risky and adventurous. And above, all something new. Say what you want about Pop, at least it wasn't as safe and predictable as ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Good looooord.... no matter how full of crap Bono might be everytime he hypes a new album up it works for me... He's the hype master!

Did he said the word metal there? :rockon:

I liked what he said about the direction. I think we are going to have more techno beats like the ones from Pop. The way he described it sounded like Pop Part II for me actually. And I wouldn't mind that. But it doesn't sound like a big departure like AB was. Still we'll have to wait and see. And I can't wait anymore.

I just need to see them play live one more time. Who knows how many big tours they have left. I am kind of surprised at the lack of news but oh well, I can't see them not putting something out this year!

Wouldn't we all be surprised if they pulled a Radiohead and had a download only as soon as the songs are mastered. And then release it 3 months later.

the tourist said:
Wouldn't we all be surprised if they pulled a Radiohead and had a download only as soon as the songs are mastered. And then release it 3 months later.

Why?

roy said:

Why what? Why would they do that? Or why would it be a surprise?

It would be a surprise because it wouldn't be a building mass of hype and mystery if they did that. It would just be based on the songs and not based on the Bono-hype.

super fly guy said:

And the problem with that is?:|

The problem with that is a lot of people don't like the last two albums. A lot of people DO like the last two album. No need for the :|. Personally I love ATYCLB and think HTDAAB is the worst album to date. :shrug:

super fly guy said:

The months of moaning that will be in effect following the release.

As posted in LS : "the only thing more obnoxious than anyone fawning over a band is the one person who thinks it's up to them to "expose how stupid" they are".

super fly guy said:

The problem is we are been promising a DIFFERENT album. Who really wants ATYCLB III? Who would need it?

8 years playing it safe and making the same radio friendly stuff is too much, really

It's hard for me to see how people can love Behind but hate the Bomb. The ONLY difference between the albums is the mastering/clipping.

Earnie Shavers said:
I'll bet my house that it's a bookend to Pop, just from the opposite angle.

lol, do you even know what that means?

I don't know how you could possibly know, but if you do, explain yourself please...

i'm already getting the feeling that no matter what U2 do next album, people are going to find some confused remark sort of like this as if to say "once again, the same old stuff"....If it isn't like bomb, it will be something like pop, if it isn't like pop, it will copy AB in some way, if it isn't like AB, i can already see it: "a desperate attempt at bringing back the 80's vibe" or some stupid nonsense like that...:shrug:

forgive me for sounding harsh, but this sort of attitude frustrates me greatly...

to some of the EYKIW people, please just stay positive, I know it's excruciatingly difficult but please, it will do your mind wonders and you won't be blinded anymore by complete pessimism :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom