Magnificent is this albums epic track... but a couple of small changes wouldve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
made it one of the best tracks theyve done so far.

1. Bono shouldnt open his mouth until the first verse starts at 1:16, let the suspense of the intro build and let the music breathe. Cut the 2 Magnificents and the uh oh that shows up before the first verse, give me a chance to anticipate it.

2. Take out the melody that starts at 29-45 that isnt a guitar. wi wi woom woom wiwi wiwi woom woom. It takes away from the song and from U2. That rapid fire drum intro is all it needed. The background swirls and etc are cool though. Also could do without the wi wi wim after the first magnificent and whenever it shows up later. take that instrument/keyboard out of the mix altogether.

3. Edges solo couldve been longer on the second pattern and gone up a couple octaves at the end of it. Wouldve been great coupled with that dirty distorted bass tone that stops after the first 30 seconds of the intro. But maybe this time the basstone is one long sustained note instead of the shorter ones with the four second gap in the intro. Also, a rapid fire drum part wouldve fit nicely at the end of that solo with Bono finally then singing those oh's over it and blasting into the final chorus @ 4:27

4. Save the oooh oouhoh that comes before the first chorus and second chorus and just sing only love. Let Larry shine without singing over those rapid fire bursts, that drum is plenty on its own. Less is more here.
Then bring it out right at the end of the(extended)solo before the final chorus. Its a powerful vocal melody but it loses its punch because its too prevalent. Bono used to be great at this, saving the fun for the end. used to have so much more taste.

#4 and #3 are kind of related

Please take a second to grasp what im saying and imagine how my changes would affect the song while listening to it. you might understand what im talking about and agree with the added suspense and anticipation it wouldve created. Im not going to argue with people who hastily say well you should write your own music then, this is about what im hearing in this song not my own songs. Have a little fun and imagination before you just brush it off.

The drumming and bass is great in this song. Definitely the best song on this album. Couldve been amazingly epic. I look forward to the live arrangement.

Disclaimer:
All thoughts and expressions here in this thread are my own opinions.

U2 should hire me for the next album :wink:

No offence, but your suggestions read like a crash course on how to make an interesting variation on the U2 theme into a generic U2 anthem.

Re: the opening of the song. I initially agreed with you but I must say I like songs that have small bursts of genius without thrashing that part for too long. Magnificent is one of those songs you know has snippets of spine-tingling awesome, and I think that would be diluted a bit if these parts were extended for too long.

Back
Top Bottom