Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this has grown to be one of my favorites from SOI, and I think it will sound AWESOME live! I think it would be a great opener as well.

"long before the night the stars went out we're meeting up again" sounds like pre-Joshua Tree Bono. It's amazing how he sings that line and how it takes me back to those older albums.

This has easily been the best song on SOI from the beginning. It's a classic to me.

"long before the night the stars went out we're meeting up again" sounds like pre-Joshua Tree Bono. It's amazing how he sings that line and how it takes me back to those older albums.

This has easily been the best song on SOI from the beginning. It's a classic to me.

Yep, best song of the new album

This song has moved further up my rankings than any other on the album. Initially I had it placed somewhere in the bottom half, but right now it's probably vying for the #1 spot.

For me it's that's last verse, iris playing on the strand, she buy's a boy beneath the sand, iris says that i will be the death of her, it was not me.

Tear in my eye every time I hear that.

For me it's that's last verse, iris playing on the strand, she buy's a boy beneath the sand, iris says that i will be the death of her, it was not me.

Tear in my eye every time I hear that.

Same for me, I've never gotten through that song without chills or a tear in the eye. The last verse you refer to is prob the most powerful sequence on the album.

it's an amazing song… get's me every time. I can imagine his Mother saying, "If only you could see yourself!" too in a similar way to, "You'll be the death of me!".. very Irish.

Not to be the spell police but I think you of course meant buries.

This song is a definite take me back moment. I like how Bono doesn't try to overdo the vocal. It begins reflective...then it's like the memory becomes real again to him. Then it's like a new wound that now only he knows will never heal ...until.

Not to be the spell police but I think you of course meant buries.

Thought it was just me as I know Bono can sing in not the clearest of voices(I mishear things all the time).

With that said, this song is decent until the last quarter, which is really very good. Overall, it's a pretty good song and while I do find the chorus underwhelming, his reflection of his mother during the last quarter more than makes up for it.

Not to mention this song is another example on the album of Adam being a boss!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Love this song and like you all that last verse gets me every time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

This is definitely my favourite song of Songs Of Innocence. And it's funny. I keep on bitching about how U2 has entered a stagnation mode in terms of creativity, some sotr of self-revival mode. However, my favourite song of the album is the biggest pastiche of the whole record. There's no other song that has so much U2-by-the-number factor than "Iris".
But, as much as sonically it evoques to me "Streets", "Magnificent", "City Of Blinding Lights", "ASort Of Homecoming" (most The Unforgettable Fire to be honest) I can't really dislike this song. I can't. And most of that because of Bono. Despite being of my least favourite albums for now, I have to say that Songs Of Innocence has some of Bono's best lyrical moments and cohesion in ages and ages. And "Iris" is a great example of it.
The lyrics seem to be quite simple, with simple imagetics, with Bono bringing his mother's death theme for the umpteenth time (but many of Bono's best lyrics are related with this theme) and using the also simple technique of linking it with a love affair (I assume it's Ali) and with the "spirituality vs universe/cosmos" theme. But it really works. And images like imagining a young Bono wishing his dead mother to "hold him close" again or imagining the spirit of his mother talking to him, it's really haunting but in a comforting way. I really like it.
And then thinking that the album was unveiled in the 40th anniversary of Iris... I was missing for a long time this kind of mystique around U2.
Honorable mention to Adam which is playing really in this track.

This is definitely my favourite song of Songs Of Innocence. And it's funny. I keep on bitching about how U2 has entered a stagnation mode in terms of creativity, some sotr of self-revival mode. However, my favourite song of the album is the biggest pastiche of the whole record. There's no other song that has so much U2-by-the-number factor than "Iris".
But, as much as sonically it evoques to me "Streets", "Magnificent", "City Of Blinding Lights", "ASort Of Homecoming" (most The Unforgettable Fire to be honest) I can't really dislike this song. I can't. And most of that because of Bono. Despite being of my least favourite albums for now, I have to say that Songs Of Innocence has some of Bono's best lyrical moments and cohesion in ages and ages. And "Iris" is a great example of it.
The lyrics seem to be quite simple, with simple imagetics, with Bono bringing his mother's death theme for the umpteenth time (but many of Bono's best lyrics are related with this theme) and using the also simple technique of linking it with a love affair (I assume it's Ali) and with the "spirituality vs universe/cosmos" theme. But it really works. And images like imagining a young Bono wishing his dead mother to "hold him close" again or imagining the spirit of his mother talking to him, it's really haunting but in a comforting way. I really like it.
And then thinking that the album was unveiled in the 40th anniversary of Iris... I was missing for a long time this kind of mystique around U2.
Honorable mention to Adam which is playing really in this track.

For as many times Bono has referenced the death of his mother there is resolution in this song . "the death of her it was not me"
In this song Bono admits and unveils. U2 was never political or social driven. U2 has always been about Bono's loss. Now that he has come to terms with that loss even though there never will be cloture he has found a way to move on to something else...maybe that's what songs of experience will be.

For as many times Bono has referenced the death of his mother there is resolution in this song . "the death of her it was not me"
In this song Bono admits and unveils. U2 was never political or social driven. U2 has always been about Bono's loss. Now that he has come to terms with that loss even though there never will be cloture he has found a way to move on to something else...maybe that's what songs of experience will be.

I agree with this. I think that "Iris" just overtook "Mofo" in being the definitive song about this subject, because this lyric sounds as a Bono who's finally mourn although never overcoming it, because as you said U2 is - more than politics and so - about that subject, about that substance.

I agree with this. I think that "Iris" just overtook "Mofo" in being the definitive song about this subject, because this lyric sounds as a Bono who's finally mourn although never overcoming it, because as you said U2 is - more than politics and so - about that subject, about that substance.

Curious to see if Mofo might make it's way back to the live show for those reasons too.

A year ago or so, when I tried to make a definitive setlist, my "ideal" show opened with an "Iris sequence": Mofo -> I Will Follow -> Lemon -> Tomorrow. I'd definitely include "Iris" now, but dunno where to make it fit.

It almost seems like he wishes the death of her was him when he sings that. Not literally just that he would rather hear her say that to him for many more years.

This song has vaulted to the top 5 for me just recently. The lyrics alone make it a great song, particularly those last lines. Bass line is tremendous too.

I just saw the god awful miracle video. Why couldn't they have went with this as the first single with an actual video that means something? These are the u2 songs that resonate with me most.

yep. This song, Reach Around, The Troubles, Crystal Ballroom, and acoustic EBW will probably all end up as all time classics for me personally.

yep. This song, Reach Around, The Troubles, Crystal Ballroom, and acoustic EBW will probably all end up as all time classics for me personally.

Really nice selection and agree. Pretty good indication that it's a great album too!

The part that really gets me in this song -- and where the song gets transformed into something far more interesting -- are the following lines:

The stars are bright
But do they know...
The universe is beautiful but cold?

It's the acknowledgement that we don't really know, for sure, if God is there to take care of us in the end. It's the acknowledgement that there is an abyss beyond everything we know. As Bono once sang, like faith needs a doubt.... This is the U2 that I miss; this is where U2 gets interesting -- finding ambiguity within the light.

Back
Top Bottom