Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me or does everyone else always choke up with the last lyrics "the death of her it was not me". I find myself doing it everytime i listen to it.

When you know the story of Bono's mom this song lyric wise is heart breaking. Some real deep stuff. The song always has that emotional effect on me.

If i didnt know the story behind it though the song wouldnt have the same effect.

Pretty much "Iris standing in the hall..." to the end can tear me up at different parts. Chris Martin's vocals in the background is the closest thing he's done that's remotely haunting.

Pretty much "Iris standing in the hall..." to the end can tear me up at different parts. /QUOTE]

I'm with you 100% on this.

I don't tear up but I get chills and all of a sudden start singing along from that point. It's a song that I think many will look back and consider a true gem from this album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yup, that whole part - the bridge? except it's near the end of the song - chills every time. Especially this:

Iris playing on the strand
She buries the boy beneath the sand,

There is a picture out there of a child Bono with his family at the beach, and I think of this whenever I hear these lines. So sad, when you think of a childhood going from having a fun-loving, supportive presence like that in his life, and then abruptly going to living in a house with a (probably - I'm guessing - would be common for the generation) grumpy, detached father and an older brother who probably had his own life by then. Very sad. And no wonder he felt rage.

My favorite so far. There's a bit of Indian Summer Sky in it. :heart:

Thank you for this. I connected with Iris immediately. It's the one song I've listened to alot more than the rest of the album. Indian Summer Sky meant a lot to me as a high school kid, years ago, many walks growing up in Dublin listening to that song on repeat. I love this could be the reason I connected with Iris immediately. Thanks for making me aware of the sonic connection, I totally hear it as well.

:drool:

Thank you for this. I connected with Iris immediately. It's the one song I've listened to alot more than the rest of the album. Indian Summer Sky meant a lot to me as a high school kid, years ago, many walks growing up in Dublin listening to that song on repeat. I love this could be the reason I connected with Iris immediately. Thanks for making me aware of the sonic connection, I totally hear it as well.

Yesterday Iris were going through my head all day, dunno where it came from, it´s an ultimate classic for sure!

Speaking of getting emotional during this song, I wonder what Leo's reaction is.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Speaking of getting emotional during this song, I wonder what Leo's reaction is.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Who is Leo?

Gerard Leo?
Leo Dicaprio?
Leo from the ninja turtles?
Leo Demarko, the deli guy two streets down from me?

I finally get this song. For the last 3 months I thought Bono was saying "Homey Close" and I just didn't really get it. Now that I know what he's really saying, wow. This is a tear jerker, especially now with Leo in the picture.

:up:

Well, I'm glad you think so cause that means I'm not crazy. :D Everyone else hears UV and Streets (which is true) but for me it was Indian summer sky from the first moment I heard Iris. :heart:

I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the best songs they've ever made

I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the best songs they've ever made

You know, the last 2 min of this song is incredible, it is up there with there best work. The only thing that makes me hesitate at putting the song up there with their best is the chorus. I like it but don't love it.

In the end, it is a great song and an awesome addition to the U2 catalog!

Best partsHighlights:

Cedarwood Road --> Iris --> California (just becasue it sounds so damn good) --> Every Breaking Wave --> and Invisible

Back
Top Bottom