If people thought that HTDAAB songs were safe radio songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
If people thought that HTDAAB songs were safe radio songs, well I think that WITS is one of their most radio freindly songs, I don't think this is the right direction for the sound on the new album. I hope that the new album would be more deep with athmosphere just like UF and AB. There's something missing in WITS, Bono's high non-falestto notes arent there. The chours is to catchy.

Anyone here have the same thougts?

Yes and no.

I wasn't a fan of the beach clips at all. WITS is clearly from the beach clips, so I'm not loving the song.

That said, I do think it's a decent song and perfect for this type of release. However, if this was the lead single for the new U2 album, I'd be disappointed.

In other words, if U2 have a few more of these radio-friendly pop songs in them left over from the ATYCLB and HTDAAB era, putting them on these special releases is fine.

But I too hope that the next full U2 album has more than this to it. I'm hoping for a more rock album, not quite as poppy. That said, I could tolerate a few pop songs, as long as they are perhaps the second or third singles off the album.

Of course, I'd take a dozen songs like WITS over songs like "One Step Closer" and "A Man and a Woman" any day. :barf:

Peterrrrr said:
If people thought that HTDAAB songs were safe radio songs, well I think that WITS is one of their most radio freindly songs, I don't think this is the right direction for the sound on the new album.
This is a new single for a compilation, it's suppose to be radio friendly to promote an album. Hello...
Peterrrrr said:

There's something missing in WITS, Bono's high non-falestto notes arent there.
What are you talking about here? :huh:

Peterrrrr said:

The chours is to catchy.

This doesn't even make sense.

I'm lost. Too catchy?? thats a good thing. Unless your saying thats the only catchy part of the song? but still thats what a chorus is supposed to be.

KUEFC09U2 said:
love the song

and peterrrr do you have a fetish with bono's voice?

I must admit that tha was funny and right written, yes I'm crazy about his voice. I like to analyze it, everytime when there have been a live concert I download the bootleg and analize the his vocie for the show, for the moment my most analize moments for the shows are:

"Feel", "I can feel your love" and "How to kneel" in Vertigo

"Say it's true, it's true" NYD

"Touch" in BD(how long he holds it)

"Sing" in SYCMIOYO(how long he holds it)

"l'amour" in Miss Sarajevo

"Name" in Pride

"Yeah Yeah" in AOH

"You" in WOWY

ISHFWILF Whole song

and a lot more :)

I love Bono's voice too and will admit to how it changes. It was weak during the pre-Pop into AYTCLB/Elevation Tour era. But signs of it coming back started to surface around ATYCLB as well. HTDAAB and the Vertigo gour have Bono sounding great - almost as good as he did for ZOO TV. Given his age, he won't ever return quite to that state (let alone his JT/Love Town voice), but I think this is the best he's sounded in 15 years!

Now, if he could only return to looking how he did during "Zooropa" - that was cool. ;)

As far as the chorus being "too catchy," what I think he meant to say is that it's too poppy and repetitive. I agree to an extent too. After the song's over I can't get "Oh can't you see what love has done" out of my head for hours sometimes. It kind of grates on my nerves after being stuck in my head for hours on end. :wink:

Catchy songs work.

If the whole album is catchy its a success unless its a hard rock album.

Peterrrrr said:

"l'amour" in Miss Sarajevo

Sorry, but I'm an Italian student and I've gotta correct you. It's L'amore. :wink:

Yeah. The song is too catchy. It rubs me too well. It's too easy on the ears.

There's something missing in WITS

But I too hope that the next full U2 album has more than this to it. I'm hoping for a more rock album, not quite as poppy. That said, I could tolerate a few pop songs, as long as they are perhaps the second or third singles off the album.

I agree with all these points. As good and nice as the song sounds, it's nice and all, but there is something missing. It's a pop song.

I hope this album is rockier, darker, etc.

After over a week of listening to Windows I still love it. Yes, it's radio friendly (it's already soaring up the charts) but who cares?

Yahweh_OMG said:
WITS sucks...... it's soft pop soup that fits the radio....... it frightens me for the future...... even after listening to it 50 times.....

It sucks, yet you listened to it 50 times??

Radio frienly usually equals bad considering what's on the radio these days. WITS is very simple, instantly catchy and lacking in musical or lyrical depth. I think I can agree with him on that it's too catchy. It's kind of an instant gratification song. You listen to it, it sounds good, you sing it until it's no longer stuck in your head and then you forget about it because there's not much worth going back to revisit.

i dunno brrrrrrrau. if u2 had nothing but uncatchy choruses, people would demand a catchy chorrrrrrrrus.

U2Man said:
i dunno brrrrrrrau. if u2 had nothing but uncatchy choruses, people would demand a catchy chorrrrrrrrus.

That's this whole board summed up in two sentences.

Back
Top Bottom