Confirmed Album Cover - Grey Boxes Are? / U2 Album Cover Rip-Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are those grey boxes?

• Boxes = Text Placeholder

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • Boxes = Something Else Open Interpretation

Votes: 164 51.3%
  • Boxes = Nothing

Votes: 68 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So in your head you can have "hope", "disaster", etc... but not "no line"?

You aren't making any sense.

You can still use it as the future metaphor, you're just changing the subject.

Ok, given that we established the horizon is a metaphor for the future, what sense does the phrase "No Line in the Future" make? Afakeplasticman suggests it's a metaphor for something else, and he could be right.

Actually, these phrases do fit the metaphor test. The horizon is the metaphor for the future. The horizon is a literal object. It's a line off in the distance that you can see ahead of you. The future is also ahead of you. That's why a horizon is very commonly used to depict the future.

My beef with "No Line on the Horizon" is that it literally makes no sense. When a phrase is literally meaningless, it can't be used as a metaphor for something else.

La hypocrita!

Haha, and U2's use of horizon can't possibly mean that? No line on the horizon can't mean "no forseeable time in the future". It means that if you cant see a line, or anything, the future is uncertain...

Ok, given that we established the horizon is a metaphor for the future, what sense does the phrase "No Line in the Future" make? Afakeplasticman suggests it's a metaphor for something else, and he could be right.

A horizon line suggests an imagined end; an illusion of sorts. Said very un-poetically, in a very Jonas Brothers-esque way... No End to the Future.

La hypocrita!

Haha, and U2's use of horizon can't possibly mean that? No line on the horizon can't mean "no forseeable time in the future". It means that if you cant see a line, or anything, the future is uncertain...

That does make sense. I'm not looking to suppress any and all interpretations, you know. I actually thought a few interpretations are pretty interesting, yours included.

Now the album cover on the other hand is indefensible.

That does make sense. I'm not looking to suppress any and all interpretations, you know. I actually thought a few interpretations are pretty interesting, yours included.

Now the album cover on the other hand is indefensible.

the album cover is amazing. I laugh because people like you don't get it, so automatically label it as crap. I think that is 99% the point.

Sugimoto has a photo that actually had no line on the horizon, but they chose that one because it looks so obivous that it does have one, but when you look really closely, there is no defined line, it very quickly blurs into it.

the other thing is the eqauls sign. The sea and the sky meet, and the equals signe straddles the divide, symbolising the sea meeting the sky. It's not exactly advanced art theory.

The cover is symbolic, I mean, if the Beatles white album cover was actually a pale shade of blue, people would call it genious.

Each to their own, but indefencable implies that if you try to defend it you are moribund. I take exception to being inferred as moribund because the subjectivity of art means you can interpret ANYTHING in ANY way you like.

I'm just now remembering something totally pointless, but cool to note... Bono dedicates WITS to Sugimoto on the second Vertigo Saitama night.

Here's what we no so far from official sources (Four5One):

Five words isn't much to go on.

For me it inspired an atmosphere. There's something about how all of us are deeply drawn to looking out across the sea – to the horizon – that draws strong memories and feelings of time and place. There's also this sense in the title of removing barriers, a longing for purity and beauty and the unspoilt... a longing to return to a perfect moment.

You decided to work with one particular image, 'Boden Sea, Uttwil', for the album cover.

We felt it was such an emotive image, that there was a natural coherence with the album's themes, that suggested release. And so we set this beautiful, velvet image of Sugimoto's very simply in a white surround.

What's the story on the 'equals' sign ?

The equals sign exists on its own, it isn't embedded in the image, but associated with it, on a different plane. It adds to the album's visual idiom. Whatever the culture and language spoken, this universal mathematical symbol is understood, and so it complements the clarity of expression in the image. What we love about the equals sign is the simplicity, the purity - like the title, No Line on the Horizon.

What I can draw from this is that the "=" is about a universal understanding people have about the image of a horizon. The feeling of wanting to "remove barriers" and to feel "release" is universal.

There will be interviews in the future that will broach the subject in more detail I'm sure.

"So I said to the hitchhiker 'what do you do?' He said 'I'm a student'. I said 'a student of what?' He said he was studying journalism and photography, so I said 'that's funny, I'm actually writing a short story about a photographer who went completely insane trying to take a close up photo of the horizon.'"

-Steven Wright

Whatever you do... don't ever try to make music/art/literature.

:up:

Seriously, whoever is picking apart the title or the cover has no idea about poetry or art.

I'm glad U2 didn't chose to use a postcard image like the cheesy sunset as an album cover.

There's a reason for the two bars. Just look at them again and again and again.

:up:

Seriously, whoever is picking apart the title or the cover has no idea about poetry or art.

Throughout this whole discussion, I haven't once said anything about any member's intelligence or capacity to understand the arts. I would certainly appreciate the same from you. After all the unproductive arguments on other threads, it would be nice if we all could have a change of attitudes and discuss things like everyone knows a little something about what they're talking about, even if they don't know anything about what they're talking about. If you're not going to agree with me, then do that without trampling over what you perceive to be my lack of intelligence. Making assumptions and accusations only make you look foolish when they don't pan out.

:happy: 6 years on interference and I Just used "ignore" for the first time
:hyper: I must be growing up or something

You know, whenever my wife and I get into a fight, she tends to give me the silent treatment after a while. To whoever bathiu is ignoring, you should be feeling good that you made bathiu your interference bitch.

You really may want to reexamine your analogy, otherwise your wife may be giving you the silent treatment for a long time if she happened to read this...

The wife and bathiu are the ones giving the silent treatment, and I think you just called bathiu a bitch...

You really may want to reexamine your analogy, otherwise your wife may be giving you the silent treatment for a long time if she happened to read this...

The wife and bathiu are the ones giving the silent treatment, and I think you just called bathiu a bitch...

really? well, then I was right using the ignore button

"ignore button" :drool:

Don't worry, my wife knows she's my bitch. I'll also admit that she happens to wear the pants as well.

And I've been insulted many times on interference. I don't see anyone coming to my defense. Not that I need it. Does bathiu need it? Or is he capable of standing up for himself like I do?

And I've been insulted many times on interference. I don't see anyone coming to my defense. Not that I need it. Does bathiu need it? Or is he capable of standing up for himself like I do?

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything... Who's coming to who's defense, who said anyone needed it...

Is this some kind of 5th grade recess to you?

Throughout this whole discussion, I haven't once said anything about any member's intelligence or capacity to understand the arts. I would certainly appreciate the same from you. After all the unproductive arguments on other threads, it would be nice if we all could have a change of attitudes and discuss things like everyone knows a little something about what they're talking about, even if they don't know anything about what they're talking about. If you're not going to agree with me, then do that without trampling over what you perceive to be my lack of intelligence. Making assumptions and accusations only make you look foolish when they don't pan out.

Actually, the comment that you had no idea about art was based on your comment that the cover was indefenceable, which I think is fairly reasonable. You can not like it yourself, but to say that noone else is capable of justifying their own like for it is pretty ignorant, and also very very egocentric

You know, whenever my wife and I get into a fight, she tends to give me the silent treatment after a while. To whoever bathiu is ignoring, you should be feeling good that you made bathiu your interference bitch.

Not cool. a) calling your wife your bitch. Lucky girl :up: b) calling bathiu a bitch, bannable or censorable offence in my book calling anyone a or your bitch

Don't worry, my wife knows she's my bitch. I'll also admit that she happens to wear the pants as well.

Bathiu has people standing up because, as we established earlier, you are being ignored. It means none of your posts are received by anyone ignoring you.

I wouldn't be too proud of the way you are 'standing up for yourself'. You have your opinion that you are defending with your life, that also restricts others rights to have an opinion. You have 20 people here disagreeing with you and telling you that your methods and modality are wrong, yet you still dig your heels in and don't listen. Either way, I'm sure you're right, I mean, you are smarter and far more wise than the 20 people you don't know

This is completely unnecessary and out of line. Though it seems you're well aware you're breaking the rules, let me give you a reminder anyway:

Personally attacking other members of the forum is unacceptable and may result in an individual warning to the members in question, which may ultimately lead to banishment from the forum.

Back on topic (everyone), please.

Last edited:
Not cool. a) calling your wife your bitch. Lucky girl :up: b) calling bathiu a bitch, bannable or censorable offence in my book calling anyone a or your bitch

Maybe bitch is extremely vulgar in australia, but in America it's a very tame word. If American TV celebrities can call their best friends bitches in public, I'd say I shouldn't have any trouble avoiding a ban or censure here. Unless of course, the mods decide to make an example of me, which in turn would be inappropriate given the disproportionate number of insults that have been hurled at me in the past.

And besides, I only said bathiu was made to be someone's bitch. I didn't call him/her a bitch directly. There's a subtle difference in meaning. When you're someone's bitch, that means you're whipped or you're subjugated by them, usually this is an exaggeration.

you are being ignored.

If this is the case, then people are doing a very bad job of it. Besides, if you announce that you're ignoring someone, it usually reflects poorly on your maturity level. Like a child going, "lalalalalalala" to prevent hearing what someone has to say.

This is completely unnecessary and out of line. Though it seems you're well aware you're breaking the rules, let me give you a reminder anyway:

Back on topic (everyone), please.

Got it. I posted my explanation of being someone's bitch before I read this, so that wasn't a retort to this warning, just so you know.

Back
Top Bottom