Miscellaneous Picture Mix #27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMFG!!!

I'M NOT GAY!!!!:huh::doh::banghead:

Dude, why do you have to keep repeating this while nobody here is calling you gay?? It's almost like you're in denial and WANT us to think you're gay, yet deny it. You confuse the shit out of me. If you don't want to seem gay, don't post these kind of comments, if you don't want to limit yourself in your comments, stop claiming you're not gay and thus cornering yourself!
Nobody here has called you gay, so please stop defending yourself from NOBODY. :huh:

Bono expected at All Black vs Ireland
18/11/2008 17:32:02

The likes of Bono and Padraig Harrington will be in the crowd, but All Blacks centre Anthony Tuitavake will only have eyes for a couple of ex-teammates in Limerick tomorrow.

The All Blacks take on Munster in what will be the official opening of the re-developed Tohmond Park in front of a host of Ireland's rich and famous.

Tuitavake says it is hard to get his head around the fact he will be playing against former Blues team-mates Doug Howlett and Rua Tipoki. He says he has built strong friendships with both players over the years.

A full house of 25,600 is expected, when the match kicks off is at 8.30am tomorrow New Zealand time.

NME News

Kasabian preview new album with help from U2

105.jpg

The Edge comperes band's acoustic set for Mencap in London

Nov 14, 2008
1 Comments
Kasabian news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add Kasabian to MyNME
Kasabian previewed tracks from their album in London tonight (November 14) after being introduced on stage by U2's The Edge.

Taking part in Mencap's series of Little Noise Sessions shows at the Union Chapel, the band played an acoustic set as they headlined the night.

Opening with 'Processed Beats', the band worked in lyrics from The Kinks' 'You Really Got Me' as the audience rose up from the pews to dance along.

"We were shitting ourselves," admitted frontman Tom Meighan of the stripped down set as he introducing first new song 'Fast Fuse', "but you guys make us feel invincible!"

B-side 'Black Whistler', fronted by guitarist Sergio Pizzorno, followed, before they performed a "romantic" cover selected especially for the night - The Velvet Underground's 'Who Loves The Sun'. Then a second new track, 'Thick As Thieves', was then previewed.

'Empire' triggered a mass sing-a-long, ahead of 'The Doberman', before Kasabian covered Del Shannon's '60s classic 'Runaway'.

The band then wrapped the show up with another cover - The Beatles' 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?', before closing matters with a bluesy version of their own 'LSF'

Earlier the band had been introduced onstage by The Edge who stood in as compere, supporting Mencap's Don't Stick It, Stop It campaign aimed at stopping school bullying of special needs students.

"They support a really crap football team (Leicester City), their music is OK," joked the U2 guitarist. "They don't have echo on their guitars and they haven't written any songs about '60s civil rights leaders."

Kasabian played:

'Processed Beats'/'You Really Got Me'
'Shoot The Runner'
'Fast Fuse'
'Black Whistler'
'Who Loves The Sun'
'Thick As Thieves'
'ID'
'Me Plus One'
'Empire'
'The Doberman'
'Runaway'
'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?'
'LSF'

Support had come first from The Hours, who The Edge introduced as "gobby and charming", and The Reverend, whose set included a cover of Bob Marley's 'Them Belly Full (But We Get Hungry)' which worked in lyrics from The Good, The Bad & The Queen's 'History Song'.

U2 Guitarist is special guest at Little Noise
14 November 2008 - Kasabian previewed tracks from their forthcoming third album in London tonight (November 14) after being introduced on stage by U2's The Edge.

It's night number seven in a run of nine Little Noise Sessions at the Union Chapel with some pretty tough acts to follow, but if anyone can rise to the challenge, it's Kasabian.

I spoke to Sergio Pizzorno and Tom Meighan of Kasabian backstage in the inner sanctum of Union Chapel ahead of their gig and they were pretty stunned when I revealed who was the special guest compere of the evening:

2EDGE.jpg

And when the beanie-hatted guitar hero took to the tiny stage to introduce the band later that night, he seemed a bit overwhelmed to be able to see the whites of the audience's eyes. It must be several decades since U2 have been that up close to the fans.

But he revealed himself to be a Kasabian fan "even though they support a rubbish football team" and joked they're a really good band, even though "They don't have echo on their guitars and they haven't written any songs about 60s civil rights leaders."
"Who? .... The Edge? Oh Wow he's gonna be here? That's great yeah ... That'll blow my mind!"

They were greeted like returning heroes, with Tom and Sergio making their entrance from the rear of the chapel down the nave of the church with Tom sporting a green mod parka and shoulder length hair, looking, as one fan said, 'like a young, better looking Frank Gallagher'.

Perched on stools they launched into an acoustic version of 'Processed Beats', dropping in lyrics from The Kinks' 'You Really Got Me' and getting the audience out of their pews to dance along.

After the first song frontman Tom Meighan admitted they'd been terrified of playing that venue and going acoustic, but as he introduced the first new song 'Fast Fuse', told the crowd: "you guys make us feel invincible!"

B-side 'Black Whistler' was sung by guitarist Sergio Pizzorno, and Tom then introduced the next song by saying it was a "romantic" cover they'd picked specially for the night before they launched into The Velvet Underground's 'Who Loves The Sun'.

They then dropped a second new track 'Thick As Thieves', and then Tom introduced 'Empire' which sparked a massive sing-a-long, ahead of 'The Doberman'.

Then they launched into a complete change in mood by covering sixties pop classic 'Runaway' by Del Shannon prompting another crowd sing - a long.

They left the stage briefly but were soon whooped back on to wrap up the show with The Beatles' 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road' and their own 'LSF'.

Julie Cullen

18.jpg

For rock stars, they are famously disciplined and so it seems are their groupies. U2’s most committed fans form “selforganised queues” at concerts run by “line Nazis” that function almost identically from city to city, according to American researchers.

A study of almost 500 U2 fans queuing overnight for four concerts in Philadelphia and Atlanta discovered those seeking to gain entry to “the rail”, a sought-after area at the front of the concert, organise themselves in a remarkably systematic fashion without prompting from concert organisers.

The study’s authors, who have a background in anthropology and one of whom describes herself as a U2 fan, discovered that concert queues “are managed largely by fans themselves who organise a system in which the first fans in line keep a list with names and numbers assigned to people as they arrive”.

Venue staff support the system by telling newly arrived fans to get a number from the “line Nazi”, a fan at the top of the queue who invariably takes control at each event.

To test the strength of the system, researchers invented a series of scenarios in which people jumped the queue. Fans were then asked to fill in a questionnaire that assessed their reaction. The academics discovered that fans of the group, who had an average age of 30, got upset even when someone cut in behind them, not affecting their place in the queue. Hardcore fans were more incensed than more moderate devotees.

One of the authors, Marie Helweg-Larsen of Dickinson College, Pennsylvania, said: “Fans were annoyed even when the consequences did not directly influence them. The notion of ‘first-come first-served’ is deeply ingrained, but we noted that some believed there was a special code of honour among U2 fans. Cutting the line may have affronted this notion.”

Helweg-Larsen said some supporters of the Dublin band reacted indignantly to “line-cutters” because it was “un-U2- like”. “Bono wouldn’t like it,” one fan told the researchers.

Previous research has shown queuers see those behind them as “less fortunate”. “The queue is a social system, so perhaps a U2 fan’s sense of social justice may play a role,” she said.

But such concern for others may not be entirely altruistic. “Any threat to the established queue might create chaos to the whole system and threaten one’s own position,” she said. “The moral outrage may be linked to self-interest, especially among dedicated fans who have invested the most time and energy in queuing.”

The authors compared the behaviour of fans queuing for a U2 concert with studies analysing how football fans organise themselves while waiting to gain entry to a match.

“There were similarities,” Helweg-Larsen said. “But the motivation for not cutting the line at a soccer match was partly peer pressure and partly the threat of violent recrimination because of the age of the group and the likelihood that alcohol had been taken.”

The authors are “puzzled” by how “social norms” have emerged among queues for U2 gigs in different cities without rules or enforcement. “Some fans will follow the band from city to city, bringing the system with them, but it doesn’t explain how up to 300 people will fall into line,” she said.

Dude, why do you have to keep repeating this while nobody here is calling you gay?? It's almost like you're in denial and WANT us to think you're gay, yet deny it. You confuse the shit out of me. If you don't want to seem gay, don't post these kind of comments, if you don't want to limit yourself in your comments, stop claiming you're not gay and thus cornering yourself!
Nobody here has called you gay, so please stop defending yourself from NOBODY. :huh:

Bit paranoid :reject:

But thank-you so much for your forthright directness and reassurance!

What would I do without you 'Gg'?

:hug:

Will.I.Am Talks U2 & Cheryl Cole

01Will.jpg

EXCLUSIVE | The producer, rapper and Black Eyed Pea talks to us about future collaborations…
Will.I.Am spoke to MTV News earlier this week telling us about some of the artists he wants to work with next.

The producer has collaborated on hit records for Nas, Estelle, Pussycat Dolls and Common.

Rumours recently reached MTV towers that the Black Eyed Peas member may be working with rockers U2 so of course we had to ask him to fill us in.

Smiling the star said: “I would love to do something with them. It that ever happens it would be a dream come true!

“I went to Bono’s house. He has these summer parties and I went and had great food. It was the best. Those guys are the nicest people in the world.”

Will.I.Am added: “We talked about a bunch of things. It’s Bono- you just wanna ask him a whole bunch of questions about the world. Like ‘Is it gonna end?’”

And having written two hits for UK star Estelle this year the super-producer told MTV News he’d love to work with X Factor judge Cheryl Cole.

He said: “I think Cheryl is dope if she does a solo record I wanna work on it. I think she’s fresh. (Turning to the camera) Cheryl- we need to go do something in the studio together. It would be dope. We’d smash it.”

Girls Aloud member Cole previously sung on his Heartbreaker record and appeared in the video.

Will.I.Am is currently promoting his new single It’s A New Day which celebrates Barack Obama’s recent election win.

No definitedate on the horizon for U2 album

Friday, November 21, 2008

A year or so ago, On The Record predicted that one of the landmark releases of 2008 would be an U2 album. Not for the first time, On The Record was wrong.

2008, though, was still a year with many U2 headlines. First, there was the hefty revamp and reissue of the band's back-catalogue, albeit with poor sales for the lavishly-packaged CDs.

Then, there was that yarn about leaked recordings which surfaces every time there is a new album in the offing. This time, a fan was said to have taped new songs which Bono was blasting out from his house in France.

And finally, there are the ever-present rumours about live shows. The current ones include the story that U2 will do a secret show to launch the 02 venue in Dublin and talk of another three-night stand at Croke Park next summer.

Recording sessions for the album, which will kick-start all this activity, though, are still ongoing.

When Daniel Lanois was interviewed by The Ticket in May of this year, the producer said that recording for the album, which is believed to have a working title of No Line On The Horizon , still had a long way to go at that stage.

Talking this week to the Boston Herald , Lanois indicated that recording was still ongoing and that the new album would surprise fans. "The tracks are wildly innovative. I would never have thought things would have gone this way. I believe rock'n'roll has been reinvented one more time."

U2 could still take a leaf out of Radiohead and Bloc Party's book and rush-release the album before Christmas. However, it is far more likely that the album will be given an old-fashioned, all-bells-and- whistles release early in 2009.

That will be followed by a lengthy tour, which should allow their new partners at Live Nation to start recouping some of the huge advance given to the band earlier this year.

Jim Carroll on music

Thanks for the update. I was just thinking earlier tonight that it was just about four years ago that U2 appeared on "Saturday Night Live", did the flatbed concert in NYC, and HTDAAB was released. It's been so long!

"Rock'n'Roll Reinvented" On New U2 Album

The Quietus, November 18th, 2008 19:24
Big claims from record's producer

01dan.jpg

The producer of U2's new album has waxed lyrical about his work on the project, and made some pretty extravagant predictions of greatness.

"The president of the company is singing better than ever and the tracks are wildly innovative," Daniel Lanois enthused to the Boston Herald. "I would never have thought things would have gone this way. I believe, well, rock 'n' roll has been reinvented one more time." Aha.

"I like those people for their appetite for innovation. They want things to be new and fresh, and they never get stuck on how the band should sound," continued the long-time U2 collaborator. "They're very smart people. And Eno and I just have a lot of fun with them, especially for the first 20 or 30 per cent of the record. During those first sessions, it's no-holds-barred, we take on anything that comes our way."

Asked whether he was worried that their creative partnership, which stretches back over two decades, could become stale, Lanois replied, "Nobody wants repetition within this group of folks. We want to grow as artists and innovators and people. Life is not dull to us. So I can’t imagine that we’d ever get stuck in our ways." He also found time for a spot of extra praise for the Glorious Leader, saying "I also think Bono's lyrics get better with every record."

There are two new interviews with Edge in MOJO magazine, they're posted on the album forum, plus a new U2.com clip. Looks all very promising. :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom