Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Lyric Interpretation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropa1993

Babyface
First off this is My opinion, I am not claming to know what Bono was thinking when he wrote this song. This is what SIAM means to me. I hope this starts some good conversation.

I'm not afraid
Of anything in this world
There's nothing you can throw at me
That I haven't already heard
I'm just trying to find
A decent melody
A song that I can sing
In my own company

This part sounds like someone making excuses for themselves. Trying to not let on that they have a problem. The line "a song that I can sing, In my own company" is someone who is hiding from the world. Sometimes when people get depressed they shelter themselves.

I never thought you were a fool
But darling look at you,
You gotta stand up straight
Carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere baby

Then a friend finally sees past his act and confronts him and kinda says the only person that can make your life better is you, I can't do it for you. Sitting around crying and feeling sorry for yourself will not fix your problems the will only make them worse.

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment
And now you can't get out of it
Don't say that later will be better
Now you're stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

The phrase "Stuck in a moment" to me means, when you are truly sad and depressed you feel like the world is coming to an end and you have noting left to live for, you think things will never be better and you don't know how to carry on with life. The line "Don't say that later will be better" is like saying don't tell me everything is gonna be ok, just give it some time because when you're "Stuck in a moment" there is no later the only thing that counts is how you feel right now, in the moment.

I will not forsake
The colors that you bring
The nights you filled with fireworks
They left you with nothing
I am still enchanted
By the light you brought to me
I listen through your ears
Through your eyes I can see

The verse is saying, remember all the good times we had? All the memories? Didn't you think that was worth living for? I did. You touched my soul and I will never forget you. You taught me things I never would have know. You meant something to me.

And you are such a fool
To worry like you do
I know it's tough
And you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now
My, oh my
Oh love, look at you now
You've got yourself stuck in a moment

Come on this is silly. Things aren't that bad. I know things are hard but life goes on. Then you realize that your friend is gone. Your to late to help. My oh my!

I was unconscious, half asleep
The water is warm 'til you discover how deep
I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall
It's a long way down to nothing at all
Don't say that later will be better
Now you're stuck in a moment

This verse to me is after that certain someone is gone and you are sitting at home alone thing about it and you say to yourself, how did this happen? I had no idea things were so bad. This took me totally off guard. I can't believe you are gone. Then you find yourself "Stuck in a moment"

And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if our way should falter
Along the stony pass
And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along this stony pass
It's just a moment
This time will pass

The final verse is saying, ok this is a terrible thing that has happened. But I must carry on. I can't blame myself. What happened is not my fault. It is ok to be sad but just remember that there is more to life. Things will get better if I try. This is not the end of the world, I will get over this.

------------------
See the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out
It was a Beautiful Day

The U2 Hotel
jerry@u2hotel.com

Well U2LA I am glad I'm not the only one!
biggrin.gif

------------------
See the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out
It was a Beautiful Day

The U2 Hotel
jerry@u2hotel.com

Yeah, he's said also that if Michael Hutchense was alive for half an hour longer, and Bono was there with him, this would be the argument that he would have had with him, so I guess some parts are supposed to be Michael talking other parts Bono. Hard to tell though. Bono gives away lot's in different interviews about what different lines mean.

Directly related (kind of) in the version they sing at Irving PLaza, right when Edge moves to his Bee Gees "And if the night..." bits, Bono says a few things under his breath in between each one. I'd love to know what he says if any of you can translate.

zooropa, you've done a nice job here. The lines that I think are more powerful are:

"I know it's tough
And you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now"

I think it might be about someone who got used to suffer, you know, in an almost masochistic way. Maybe Michael Hutchence was this kind of person as we know the song is inspired by his death.
I myself have felt that way sometimes, you know, looking for troubles, being hurt and keeping on doing the same, hoping to find what I know I don't need in fact.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!!!!!!

I've posted a couple of times about how I thought that Edge sounded heaps like the Bee Gees at the end and no one ever commented.
Now, Tyler, can you also hear the submarine in elevation (at the start, the funny.... well submarine noise....
well???

ANYONE??!!!!

Hmm. Sorry. I sound a little joyful in this discussion... so I would like to add that I love it when you guys (particularly you zooropa) interpret the songs, because for me, I understand what the song is about but it's too hard to express in plain old english. So when my friends say, whats this song about? I can only say listen.

Back
Top Bottom