Stateless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirrorball Man

War Child
I love Stateless from the MDH soundtrack. I'd like to know what people think the song is about. I get the general subject about feeling like you have no roots or don't belong in this world. But specific lines like 'There's no sunshine in your sky' have me baffled because I don't know who Bono is singing about.

------------------
Rain from Heaven.

Free your mind and the rest will follow.
Be colour blind, don't be so shallow.

Stateless is one of the eeriest, and maybe one of the most beautiful, U2 songs ever. I have to say that the MDH soundtrack restored my faith in U2. Or at least, it reassured me that they were once again doing music that I was able to enjoy--I had a pretty tough time with POP and Zooropa, except for some moments and songs.

But what is Stateless about? I don't know. It does sound like a song about dislocation and not belonging. Hard to say beyond that.

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

One night, I took my cd player on to the roof and listened to this song. It was a really interesting experience I guess. It offered some perspective into what I was going through at the time.

There are no colors in your eyes
There's no sunshine in your skies
There's no race, only the prize
There is no tomorrow, only tonight

To me, this verse basically describes someone who is drifting through life, just going through the motions. They don't know where their going, the just want to get there and be done w/ it all. The no colors and sunshine part just just shows how lifeless and dull things can be when you're in that situation. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Well, when I first heard the song it meant quite a few things to me the first few lines "I got no home in this world just gravity, luck and time, I got no hope in this world, just you but you are not mine" Those lines done it for me y'know. I moved from away from my home/girlfriend etc.... I think it might be a song about lonliness and making it on your own without anything else.... well, thats what I think anyway.

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
how about someone who has no faith or someone who has lost faith?

Stateless should have been on ATYCLB. WIthout a doubt.

I'm not sure it would have fit, though. Do you think? It's definitely good enough, but maybe the style would have been too different? Or maybe not. There are enough different styles on ATYCLB. Stateless is certainly my favourite song off MDH. I also love Ground Beneath Her Feet and especially Falling At Your Feet.

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

You all have given me a whole new appreciation for "Stateless"...I can't wait to go home and listen to it now!

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight...

Back
Top Bottom