Most lyrically brillant U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glenn

The Fly
Most lyrically brilliant U2 song?

What song do you think is the most lyrically brillant? Not the best song, but the song that has the best lyrics. I'm gonna have to say One, there are so many different meanings one could take out of that song.
Curious as to people's thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Hmmm...for me, a toss-up between With or Without You, Red Hill Mining Town and Acrobat

Until the end of the world and One tree hill, especially the third verse, 'i don't believe in painted roses....or bleeding hearts...':drool:

Until the end of the world -

I think it's brilliant because you can understand the meanning of the song only after hearing it at least twice.
Because at the end of the song there is a big surprise :
" You said you would wait untill the end of the world "

After you know how the song ends on the second time when you hear the sentence: " You niss too nuch these days if you stop to think "
Meanning: he didn't think that if he hurts that woman he might be sorry for doing that later and acted as his impulse lead him.

I love songs that at the end has a big surprise.
Bono also do that in:
Love is Blindness & Tryin' to throw your arms...

1) Until The End Of The World
2) A Sort Of Homecoming
3) Miracle Drug
4) Lemon
5) The Playboy Mansion - yes, im serious

Until the end of the world
Please
One Hill Tree - "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon turns red over one tree hill" (Pure genius)

Bad - Beautiful..I'm wide awake im not sleeping!

Acrobat - LOVE IT LOVE IT

Tomorrow- GOOD ONE

One Tree Hill

"As the day begs the night for mercy love"

Acrobat

"Don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see, if you just close your eyes you can feel the enemy"

when i look at lyrics of a song, I look at their overall meanings, rather than the devices used to achieve their meanings. I also look at the music to see how it compliments the lyrics, rather than the other way round which i guess most people do.

for me, beautiful day is perhaps the best song lyrically. Such a powerful message that you feel for when you are upset and when you are happy. Its so hopeful and full of joy!

Vertigo is the same idea, although i find it hard to relate to someone singing about being rich and famous.

one tree hill has some beautiful lyrics i agree.

luminous times is a powerful song...

"she is an avalaunche"... "i love you cause i need to, not because I need you, i love you cause i understand, that god has given me your had, he holds me in his (is it tiny or mighty...) fist, still i need your kiss...."

lol come to think of it all of their songs are good:p it what sets u2 apart from every other band.

Two songs popped into my head immediately when I read the question... Acrobat and Until the end of the world. But there are many more that I think are pure genius. It's hard to choose!

joe_leedsfc07 said:

One Hill Tree - "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon turns red over one tree hill" (Pure genius)

Agreed.

And then there is also this from "Miracle Drug": freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head...

And then there is "Stay" -- the whole song is one of my favorite poems ever.

For me, it will always be One Tree Hill.

That is such a beautiful song - both lyrically and musically.
Because of it's message that "I will see you again when the stars fall from the sky" that is the first song I listened to in the car on the way home from the hospital when my mother passed away.
I also like the part when he's screaming, "Rainin', rainin', rain into your heart."

A couple other masterpieces are 'Bad' and 'Running to Stand Still'. I could listen to those songs over and over and over and never get tired of them.

Back
Top Bottom