U2 Popaganda - Essential U2 Quotations by Tony Clayton-Lea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gluey

Blue Crack Addict
U2 Propoganda - Essential U2 Quotations by Tony Clayton-Lea

Just saw this in my bookshop this morning. Seems its just been published. Anyone read it?? Any thoughts on it?

33c0458e.jpg

Cover....

From the Irish Times

10 things they hate about U2
Tony Clayton-Lea has sifted through everything ever said about or by U2, for a new book of quotations. Six months on he's still a fan but, as the following bon mots illustrate, not everyone is . . .

THERE were several reasons I chose a collection of quotations as the format for my 'U2' book - notably the fact that too many bad and boring biographies of the band had already been written and I didn't fancy adding another to the pile.

My most intimate contact with the band is having once stood beside Larry Mullen Jr in a gents toilet (er, obviously!) in Slane Castle. I have spoken to Bono twice (once over the phone for an article on Paul Brady for Mojo magazine, and once backstage at an Elevation gig in Manchester). I have neither met nor spoken to Edge or Adam (who is not a distant relative). So aside from what I glean from interviews and their music, I don't really know anything about them.

In the course of trudging through the material for this book, I learnt that most of the existing biographies tell you absolutely nothing, and that the best book about the band is U2 - the Early Days: Another Time Another Place by Bill Graham. I learnt also that they all have their hearts in the right place and that they'd be fucked as a functioning unit if wasn't for Larry Mullen Jr. But enough from me; here's what other people think . . .

Bad-mouthing the band

"I really disliked them in the early days . . . I still feel they're not talented enough to take on being The Best Group In The World, even if their sales figures, image and general demeanour lends itself to that title. I mean, who is it between? U2 and Metallica? I prefer Metallica, actually."

Nick Kent, Hot Press (August 10th, 1994)

"Never liked them. That whole thing of Bono becoming the Pope - what the fuck's that all about? Pseudo-American rubbish."

Paul Weller, Daily Mail (May 2006)

"Only the little people pay taxes, as Leona Helmsley loftily observed to her maid. Which may explain why U2's publicity machine has been trying so hard for so long to persuade us that Bono is really more than five feet six inches tall."

Hugh Linehan, The Irish Times (August 2006)

"(Words such as) 'Irishness and independence', 'spirituality', 'community' and 'imagination' are always good for a giggle when you wonder just what Bono's lyrics would have been like had it not been for the blokes who wrote the Bible."

George Byrne, Irish Independent (May 27th, 2006)

"For a while Bono was Bon Smelly Arse. I was glad that didn't stick, or things might have been different. "

Edge on early band member nicknames, U2 By U2 (October 2006)

"The most boring band in the world. There may be groups equally as dull, but I fail to see how any of them can be worse."

David Quantick, NME (November 1984)

"They could never fool me . . . That guy with the bubble butt waving a white flag! And Edge doing that fucking fake-ass pilgrim gig . . . The world kisses their ass and it is the biggest pile of shite I have ever heard."

Henry Rollins, U2 At The End Of The World, by Bill Flanagan (Bantam Press, 1995)

"It's impossible to take U2 as seriously as they take themselves. When Bono emotes lines like 'No one is blinder than he who will not see . . .' I want to wish him a speedy recovery from adolescence."

Review of October, Rolling Stone (1981)

"Another example of rock music's impotence and decay."

Review of War, NME (March 1983)

"I'll walk into the pub and some old guy will go, 'Larry, yer man Bono, he's a fucking eejit'."

Larry Mullen Jr on being accosted by strangers in Dublin, Q (November 2004)

http://www.ireland.com/theticket/articles/2007/0615/1181771015106.html

From Amazon

Reviews

Synopsis
In 1976, Larry Mullen Jr decided to form a band and put a poster on his school noticeboard looking for others with an ambition to be rock stars. Little did he realise that his band, known for about a day as The Larry Mullen Band, would go on to change the world of music. In "Popaganda", Tony Clayton-Lea looks back at the past thirty years of U2 and brings together all that has been said about and by the greatest rock band in the world. Split into forty themed sections, this is the book that let's us in on the phenomena that is U2. Find out what Bono thinks about fame, love and the pope - or what the other three think of Bono. "Popaganda" is the story of U2 and is the essential guide for every fan of the band. 'A concert is the most authentic form of music. Records were invented a long time after music. Ask Beethoven.' - Adam Clayton (1984). 'We're not particularly into hit singles. Mind you, I need to do the roof of my house in the West so if we get a few hits away I won't be complaining.' - Edge (1991). 'I read a lot of rubbish about U2. Sometimes when I see us described in some mythic sense or called corporate masters of our own destiny, I have to laugh out loud. Being in U2 is more like riding a runaway train, hanging on to it for dear life.' - Larry Mullen Jr (2006). 'I feel at home in chaos.' - Bono (1987).

Natty paperback which includes a better than usual selection of quotes, quips,ripostes and musings from a group who probably merit this kind of book more than most others. Sex,drugs,music,politics, money, fame,Ireland even U2 itself all receive attention from the members of the former Larry Mullen Band. As Larry himself says; " One thing about U2 - too much is never enough!" and this isn't just a collection of wisecracks or useful quotes for weddings, funerals, brawls and bar mitzvah's but something fans should like and the curious will wonder at! Ah Bono is there now no hiding place from your wise words?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/U2-Popaganda-Essential-Quotations/dp/0340933534

Hmm, haven't heard about this one, but I doubt there will be much stuff in there that we haven't heard or read in some form or the other.

Is the author a relative of Adam? His secret son?

Preposterous and Profound

U2 Popaganda: Essential U2 Quotations Offers Something for Everyone

@U2, July 09, 2007

Tassoula E. Kokkoris

It can safely be said that an abundance of U2 books are available for fans to read. Books about their spirituality, books about their tours—even books about fans who follow their tours.

What's refreshing about Tony Clayton-Lea's new book U2 Popaganda: Essential U2 Quotations is that he lets the band and its critics do most of the talking.

This collection of quotes, which spans the band's entire career, is organized by topics such as "Drugs and Alcohol," "Concerts," "Love" and "Disputes." Strangely enough, there's even a chapter called "Fashion."

At the beginning of each section is an introduction by the author, who explains in a brief, witty paragraph what the reader is in for.

Not in the mood to hear one more word about Bono's hubris? Maybe skip the chapter "The Ego Has Landed." Does being reminded of global poverty get you down? Perhaps you should postpone the "Africa" section for a later reading.

But for the most part, the author's commentary makes you want to dive into the topics faster. For example, take this passage used to introduce the "Pretentious? Moi?" chapter:

No, they're not always down to earth, as you might presume from their backgrounds. And it seems that, occasionally, they get ideas above their elevated station. And yes, mostly it's Bono who comes out with some risible pearls of wisdom. But, then, we've all had a few too many glasses of shandy, haven't we? And said some very silly things as the bubbles float to our head. And yes, they'll probably never live down the giant lemon (now that’s a stage prop) that once refused to open. But was that pretension writ large? Or was it a good idea that just didn't work? And speaking of which -- where exactly are the bones of MacPhisto resting?

Clayton-Lea (as he points out, no relation to Adam) makes the information so accessible, readers are bound to finish half the book in one sitting.

Newbies to the U2 world will appreciate learning classic Bonoisms like, "'The Fly,' well to me it's the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree" and "I wouldn't move to a smaller house," in response to being asked to run for president in Ireland.

Seasoned fans will be sustained by obscure tidbits, like a portion of Larry's interview with Rhythm Magazine from 1993: "I saved up my cash from mowing lawns to buy my first drumkit; Edge attempted to build guitars and Adam already had a bass. But Bono was slightly in dire straits and we wanted him to play guitar, although he insisted on singing. Now we know why -- because he didn't have to buy or move any equipment."

In addition to the band members' words of wisdom, the author also includes U2 quotes from several music critics, producers, actors, supermodels and even a few presidents.

Many entries are serious, discussing Bono's humanitarian work or the band's perceived pretension during their early years. But it's the humorous one-liners that keep the overall vibe of the book light.

Music legend Frank Sinatra remarked in 1987, "They sure don't spend their money on clothes," when he introduced them in Las Vegas during one of his shows. And at the Q Awards last year, flamboyant pop star Boy George asked, "Where's Larry? He always runs away from me."

Overall, Clayton-Lea basically did the work for the rest of us, weeding out the best of the best from magazines, newspapers, television, radio, and other books, leaving the drivel behind.

So what does one do with over 200 pages of U2 quotes?

Work them into a term paper? Make a trivia game out of them? Xerox them and pass them out on street corners? Marvel at the band's brilliance? Realize that all the good words have been used up?

I would recommend readers just sit back and enjoy a little pulp non-fiction.

Tony Clayton-Lea is an award-winning journalist who has previously written for The Irish Times and the Irish Examiner. U2 Popaganda: Essential U2 Quotations was published by Hodder Headline Ireland earlier this year and is available at both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

Back
Top Bottom