MERGED ----> U2 by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just checked my Amazon order and it says the U2 by U2 Deluxe Edition Estimated delivery date is between Oct. 10th and 12th.

U2 by U2 I've got it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I've got the "bible". And I can't stop smilling ever since I bought it this afternoon. Its absolutly the most beautifull book I have ever seen!
I am going so much enjoy reading it:D :hyper: :dancing: :happy:

The deluxe version has been cancelled. :censored:

I just got this email from amazon.com:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the following
item from your order:

U2 (Author), Neil McCormick (Author) "U2 by U2 Deluxe Edition"

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've
since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this
time. We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize
for the inconvenience we have caused you.

We have cancelled this item from your order.

Note: If you took advantage of a promotional offer when placing this
order, this cancellation may affect your order's eligibility for that
offer. If this is the case, please contact customer service; if we
confirm your original order was eligible, we'll reimburse you for the
value of the promotional discount. However, we can't reimburse you for
rebates offered by manufacturers or by Amazon.com.

Your credit card will NOT BE CHARGED for this item because you only
pay for items when we ship them to you.

Your order is now closed.

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
i posted this on another thread.

i called the book store by my house and they said that they had the book in. yes its in!!! well, then she paused and said that she cant sell it until october 1st.

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! what a tease. she shouldnt have said that and then told me i couldht buy it.

its the normal one. but still .. she said that had a very large number of them in, and then told me she couldnt sell any.

I ordered the normal one first (hopefully i'll get it in the next week or so!) and then I ordered the deluxe.....I'm just sooooo grateful that I ordered both, because the sorrow of hearing the cancellation of the deluxe was softened by the knowledge I still had the other one on the way!! I can't wait to get it!! Actually I went into overload ordering, I got U2 & I (on its way - here any day), and Zoo on DVD....hehe....hide my credit card QUICK!

I had the video but a bout of post natal depression saw me do a stupid thing and sell it......I was sooooooo relieved to see it come out on DVD - I can't wait to relive it all again

i need help. i was browsing the website of the library where i usually get all my import books ('cause i live in brazil) and they have u2 by u2. there's two versions: one is from the uk and one is from the u.s. i'm pretty sure i'm getting the u.s. one, because (1) it's a little cheaper and (2) it will get here faster - 4 weeks. however, i was confused because the cover has the elevation era pic someone posted in the beggining of this thread, not the baby u2 pic. the isbn on that site match amazon's. so i'm guessing they put the wrong pic in the website and the actual book i'll get is the same you guys are getting. am i right?

oh and here's the url if you want to check it out (most of it is in portuguese though)
http://www.livrariacultura.com.br/s...id=0102922238722830584360639&k5=1DCBADDF&uid=

p.s. i'm sorry the message is so long and if there's any mistakes (english is my second language after all...)

I may be wrong but it looks like they have not updated their page for a long time, as it says the book ties in with the launch of their next world tour, and new album. :huh: (Weren't the early pics of the book all showing that cover and then they changed it?) I'll bet you receive the baby u2 cover.
But uh don't quote me on that! :)

thanks!! but the u.k. edition has a different description:

"Told with wit, insight and astonishing candour by the band themselves and manager Paul McGuinness, with pictures from their own archives, 'U2 By U2' allows unprecedented access into the inner life of the greatest rock band of our times. Bad haircuts, worse hangovers, prayer meetings and wild parties, encounters with presidents and popes, intimate accounts of the creation of all their classic songs, it is all here in a beautifully-presented book overseen by the band with the same passion for substance, style and immaculate attention to details familiar from their musical career."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-09-21-U2-book_x.htm?csp=1

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

Arguably the greatest rock band on the planet, U2 now offers the definitive version of how it got there.

U2byU2 (HarperCollins, $39.95) has 1,500-plus images and a rich band autobiography culled from 150 hours of interviews with singer Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and manager Paul McGuinness.

"We felt it was important to get the story on record, but that's not to say we're not going to go on a good many more years," he says. "This is the story thus far."

In this exclusive excerpt, the band has decamped to Berlin to record Achtung Baby. They arrive Oct. 3, 1990, the official day of Germany's reunification, but soon realize their vision and brotherhood is anything but unified.

Edge: We went to Berlin with a lot of ideas but most of them were very skeletal and undeveloped. They were directions and hints that we hoped would become fully-fledged songs when we kicked them around in rehearsal but unfortunately, since a lot of them started out from unusual origins, sometimes drum machines, sometimes just strange sounds, they didn't sound very good when the band tried to play them. There was an awkward phase where things weren't working out and there were two ways to analyze it. Adam and Larry were convinced the song ideas were crap and Bono and I thought the fault lay with the band.

Larry: I thought this might be the end. We had been through tough circumstances before and found our way out, but it was always outside influences that we were fighting against. For the first time ever it felt like the cracks were within. And that was a much more difficult situation to negotiate.

Bono: What we thought were just hairline cracks that could be easily fixed turned out to be more serious, the walls needed underpinning, we had to put down new foundations or the house would fall down. In fact it was falling down all around us. We were running up hotel bills and we had professional people, the U2 crew, staring at our averageness and scratching their heads and wondering if maybe they'd have been better off working for Bruce Springsteen. We came face to face with our limitations as a group on a lot of levels, playing and songwriting. When you're at sea the smartest thing to do is to find some dry land as quick as possible. So I think Larry and Adam were just anxious: "Stop messing around with all this electronica, let's get back to doing what we do. Because all this experimental stuff isn't working very well, is it? And, by the way, Clockwork Orange was (expletive)." There was a bit of that going on. "Did somebody say we were a rock band?" As you were walking down the corridor, you'd overhear that kind of remark.

Larry: In the past, when we were writing music, we would be in a room playing and the discussion was always along the lines of: "I don't like that particular part, try something else." There seemed to be consensus. We were starting on a blank page to a large degree, perhaps with just a guitar or melody or a riff or a vocal idea. So we started at the same place and ended at the same place. This time around, it wasn't a blank page. The parameters were already set, by drum machines, loops and synth pads. And it's kind of hard to embrace new rules when you don't understand them.

Adam: We weren't getting anywhere until One fell into our laps and suddenly we hit a groove.

Bono: Maybe "great" is what happens when "very good" gets tired. We kind of out-stared the average, it blinked first and One arrived.

Edge: I was trying to take one of our half finished ideas and give it some inspiration. I went off into another room and developed a couple of different chord progressions, neither of which actually worked where they were supposed to. (Producer) Danny Lanois said, "What happens if you play both of them, one into the next?" I was playing acoustic guitar and Bono got on the microphone and started improvising melodies and within a few minutes we had the bones of the song, melodically, structurally and even lyrically.

Bono: The words just fell out of the sky, a gift. We had a request from the Dalai Lama to participate in a festival called Oneness. I love and respect the Dalai Lama but there was something a little bit "let's hold hands" hippie to me about this particular event. I am in awe of the Tibetan position on non-violence but this event didn't strike a chord. I sent him back a note saying, "One — but not the same."

Edge: At the instant we were recording it, I got a very strong sense of its power. We were all playing together in the big recording room, a huge, eerie ballroom full of ghosts of the war, and everything fell into place. It was a reassuring moment, when everyone finally went, "Oh, great, this album has started." It's the reason you're in a band — when the spirit descends upon you and you create something truly affecting. One is an incredibly moving piece. It hits straight into the heart.

Larry: It was similar to the way we had recorded in the past. In some ways it was a sign that the blank page approach was still valid. Everything was not broken.

I received a cancellation from Amazon on the Deluxe edition, yesterday. :(

My Irish Fed Ex guy brought me the book today, as a belated b day present. I thought that was so incredibly awesome of him. Just looking at the pictures in the book is making me all emotional.. and making me remember why I love this band so much. :heart:

I haven't gotten it yet. :sad: I pre-ordered off of Amazon a month or two ago & it says that the ship date is something like October 5-6th. :huh: Here's hoping Amazon gets their butts in gear!

I got it, it's beautiful. Barnes and Noble has it at 20% off, and if you have a membership card of course you get the extra 10%. I had one and a coupon for another 15 % off, so it only cost me 23 something.

i was able to get my library to get a copy....I got it today and some of the song information is the best! -comments about womanfish, when i look at the world, pop, lady with the spinning head, and red hill mining town were awesome.

U2 by U2

So who else besides me bought it? I work at Target and we sold out of it.... So I imagine quite a load of people bought it.

got it last Friday! :)

the closet i've seen of it is the front and back cover.
haven't had chance to read it yet :reject:

Back
Top Bottom