I Don't WANT to Know the Meanings of All of U2's Songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMBLover

The Fly
a place that has to be believed to be seen...
So my uncle got me Into the Heart, the book that tells the stories behind all the songs for Christmas . I appreciate it really. but I really don't want to know what every song means ya know? Like a lot of times you have your own idea and you're a little crushed when you find out it's not anything what you thought it was. I'll take my songs as objectives thank you!
Luckily the book is really all over the place about what a particular song means:wink:
Tell me your opinions!

Well the book is a copy and paste piece of journalism that may or may not really be the true existence of songs.

It's interesting, but I wouldn't take it as an absolute truth.

I've heard several musicians say that they don't really like to tell exactly what they meant when they wrote a song because they've come to realise most people get more out of a song when they come to the meaning on their own -- even if it differs from the writer's meaning. I've even heard a few songwriters say they like what a fan has come up with better than what they originally had as the songs meaning.

That works well for me, so I don't really pay all that much attention to "what does this mean" articles and such. What really matters to me is what it means to me. Plus I really like lyrics that are layered or can have multiple meanings. Keeps the song fresh. If it only means on thing it can get boring pretty damned quick.

I agree Indra...I love different meanings, and let's face it most U2 songs can mean a great deal many things...but we all have our hopes of what it means and what it means to us. I'll also take a wild guess in saying Bono has given many different answers to what a particular song means:wink:

LMBLover said:
I appreciate it really. but I really don't want to know what every song means ya know? Like a lot of times you have your own idea and you're a little crushed when you find out it's not anything what you thought it was.

I agree. It's bittersweet since I do want to know what the songs were about, but I don't want to know if it's not as good or as meaningful as what it's about for me. Really, I only want to know its meaning if it was meant to mean what I think it means. Well, something along those lines.

Then again, that's what's unique about U2 lyrics. It's written in a way where you can take ownership of them and apply them to your own life.

LMBLover said:
By the way Indra your quote by Steve Kilbey reminds me of something the aging rock star character would say in the movie Love Actually. Great movie check it out.

Well then it fits perfectly! :)

(and I laughed so hard when I read the Stevie quote. Made me spray my tea all over the PC. :lol: )

Last edited:
...ummm, sorry -- double post. My brain is mush right now.

nighty-night! :)

Last edited:
I think that once an artist writes a song, (or whatever else) he donates to it a precise meaning, and his major satisfaction is when many people get it. But with the passing of time, with possible relationships to some other contingencies, the songs can gain unconsciously different meanings, and so we get our personal, very personal meaning. It may be different to the original one, but this doesn't mean necessarly that you deprive the meaning of its soul, contrariwise, you might enrich it

babyman said:
I think that once an artist writes a song, (or whatever else) he donates to it a precise meaning, and his major satisfaction is when many people get it. But with the passing of time, with possible relationships to some other contingencies, the songs can gain unconsciously different meanings, and so we get our personal, very personal meaning. It may be different to the original one, but this doesn't mean necessarly that you deprive the meaning of its soul, contrariwise, you might enrich it

Add to that the songwriters subconcious feelings at the time of the song's 'birth' and you can find a greater depth to the lyrics and their meanings.

Bono has sometimes shifted his perspective on the meaning of some of his own songs and as he ages he is able to reflect with gained experience on what he was 'actually' feeling at the time.

U2mixer said:

Add to that the songwriters subconcious feelings at the time of the song's 'birth' and you can find a greater depth to the lyrics and their meanings.

Bono has sometimes shifted his perspective on the meaning of some of his own songs and as he ages he is able to reflect with gained experience on what he was 'actually' feeling at the time.

exactly, it's kinda power of the human mind. It's almost scaring how we can be unconsciously farsighted sometimes...........

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well the book is a copy and paste piece of journalism that may or may not really be the true existence of songs.

It's interesting, but I wouldn't take it as an absolute truth.

I disagree with the statement that it is a "copy and paste piece of journalism". The writer had many conversations with the band (and others) about the songs. So he didn't just copy and paste some old articles and interviews.
I haven't read it for a while, but I also thought that Niall Stokes wrote more about the history of (certain) songs, where the imagery is coming from instead of the true meaning of those songs.

I do agree that you shouldn't take those meanings of the songs as the absolute truth. I guess that the meaning of a song can change, even for the band itself.

Popmartijn said:

I disagree with the statement that it is a "copy and paste piece of journalism". The writer had many conversations with the band (and others) about the songs. So he didn't just copy and paste some old articles and interviews.
I haven't read it for a while, but I also thought that Niall Stokes wrote more about the history of (certain) songs, where the imagery is coming from instead of the true meaning of those songs.

I do agree that you shouldn't take those meanings of the songs as the absolute truth. I guess that the meaning of a song can change, even for the band itself.

i read that book, too. Found it very interesting, Niall Stokes is also a friend of the band, he knows the guys

My only problem with the book is that I've bought the first edition and third and now fourth...I wish he'd do a Volume 1 and Volume 2 so I don't have to keep buying te same damn book with some add ons.

And in this edition, he totally glosses over some b-sides and the Unreleased & Rare stuff on iTunes.

babyman said:

I agree. I didn't realize that Achtung Baby was inspired by Edge's personal stuff until long after I fell in love with it. When I was younger, the feel of the songs tapped into my silly mini-crushes at school, etc...it was the perfect soundtrack for emerging hormones!

It's incredible to learn about the history of the material, the inspiration, but there's also a lot of magic in the initial impact on the listener.

Back
Top Bottom