Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what's wrong with Some Days' lyrics?

they're fantastic, and, they double as funny when you replace the word days with dicks.

That's funny:lol:, but I just think the lyrics are a little too "casual"...

Babyface is complete and utter crap (on an otherwise sublime album). Its also the only song by anyone that actually creeps me out.

I wholeheartedly agree. Babyface is a terrible song. It also sound like the B man is stalking someone.

I dont know why but I really like Babyface. It's much better than The Wanderer, The First Time, Numb and Dirty Day from the same album. IMO of course.

The only song I don't like on Zooropa is The Wanderer. And I don't love Some Days Are Better Than Others or Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, but they're bearable. Every other song on the album is fantastic, with Stay (Faraway, So Close!) coming in as my favorite song of the album.

Well that's the point of the song, it's about someone being obsessed with someone on TV, watching them over and over...

I've often wondered if that song at least partly reflects Bono's feelings about being in the spotlight himself.

For the record, I love Trip, Babyface, TTTYAATW, Miami, Some Days. Hell, I even like Red Light.

Just about "Trip Through Your Wires" -- it was certainly one of the 'older' songs written for the LP, but there is a concert on the JT tour where Bono introduces it like this (I'm paraphrasing): "This song almost didn't make it onto the album... but I'm glad it did!"

So I therefore assume it just barely made it on. I am a big fan of that song -- I can't get enough of that funky bassline! It has a very joyous chorus, and I suppose that's a nice balance to some heavier stuff (lyrically) that's on the middle and second half of the album.

Worst U2 song? Well, it has to be one of those 1978-79 ones -- I'm not even that familiar with them. Of the tracks that made it to official release, I might nominate some early B-sides. Of the LP tracks, there are a couple of clunkers near the end of October (an otherwise strong album) and I really don't like "4th of July" or "Miami" or "I'll Go Crazy if I hear this Song Tonight".

I LOVE Babyface! And you can kick me square in the nuts for saying it but I really do love Babyface.:p There's something about that song that makes it fun, with the topic of the song aside.:lol: I take it over Numb. *waiting on Interferencer to yell blasphemy* I like where I stand on this one.;)

I love how this thread turned out to have some good discussion in it rather than people falling over each other's opinions. :)

Oh and Cobl. Babyface still sucks. :wink:

I think HTDAAB offers plenty of candidates. LAPOE and Crumbs are both horrible but the lowest of the low is probably Yahweh, on which they sound like a third-rate U2 tribute act given the keys to a record studio. Hideous.

I am in the damn minority about HTDAAB, according to Interference. I love every song and I never understood how so many could hate songs like COBL and ABOY. Ok ABOY I can understand but I still like it. It's U2 being IN YOUR FACE! I think Atomic Bomb is one of their best. Of course there is the fact that it was the first U2 album I ever got and it's also the same era I got into U2. Or maybe I just don't have good taste in U2's music like you guys?:wink:

But really I love just about everything the band has done.

...the lowest of the low is probably Yahweh, on which they sound like a third-rate U2 tribute act given the keys to a record studio. Hideous.

I've heard similar opinions expressed (on Interference) several times. Can't understand it. For me, "Yahweh" is one of the most beautiful tracks they've ever laid down, and a perfect closer. I find the song to be one of their most touching, both emotionally and spiritually.

I also rate "Cedars of Lebanon" as a perfect closer, but for different reasons.

Atomic Bomb seems like a bottomless pit of steaming turds, but if you think about it, "worst song U2 has written" doesn't necessarily apply to some of them, they're really just among the worst songs U2 has recorded. Some of those songs are really well written (lyrics aside - undoubtedly Bono's worst album), just really poorly arranged and recorded, and often poorly delivered.

I am in the damn minority about HTDAAB, according to Interference. I love every song and I never understood how so many could hate songs like COBL and ABOY. Ok ABOY I can understand but I still like it. It's U2 being IN YOUR FACE! I think Atomic Bomb is one of their best. Of course there is the fact that it was the first U2 album I ever got and it's also the same era I got into U2. Or maybe I just don't have good taste in U2's music like you guys?:wink:

But really I love just about everything the band has done.

You're such a sycophant. :tsk:

I be kiddin'! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom