U2 Vancouver Zoo Tv 1992

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willystyle

Babyface
I heard from a dude that Bono was drunk one night in Vancouver and they cancelled the show and re scheduled it.

Anyone have any idea if this is true?

He says he drove 1200 miles to come and see two songs before they were sent away with a refund.

It has to be a different band !!!

Make HIM prove it. :)

Shit, if they can replace Adam in a show because he was on a bender ... well, I guess Bono would be a bit harder to replace. But still.

A friend of mine (who both hates the IRA and hates U2) claims that he saw U2 in concert in the US in the late '80s and Bono did his usual flag speech, the anti-political violence rant (You see green? You see gold? You see white? All i see is red! , etc), but at the end of it inserted a twist and proclaimed: 'That's bullshit. Up the IRA!".

It's about as likely as the Vancouver anecdote.

i agree with everyone. You would think it was documented at some point if it were true.

I need to find out what concert he went to where he was refunded his money because the singer was hauled off stage for being too gassed..

Finance Guy, Bono did tell the IRA off at the New York concert in the late 80's. But it was related an attack at a funeral. I remember it clearly because there was a girl that was pro IRA and gasped when he said it.

Isn't this the show where Bono hurled a microphone at Larry because he screwed up the beginning of Pride? Maybe he was drunk!

Good times.

Did they not play the whole show on the 23rd?

This guy says they played two songs and the show was cancelled...

I'm fairly certain that has never happened with a U2 concert. I think there have been a few that have been outright cancelled (screen being damanged on Popmart, Bono's voice crapping out on Lovetown).

Sorry to say, your friend's full of beans.

Finance Guy, Bono did tell the IRA off at the New York concert in the late 80's. But it was related an attack at a funeral. I remember it clearly because there was a girl that was pro IRA and gasped when he said it.

Well, my understanding is Bono made countless speeches criticising the IRA during the 1980s, particularly in the US (as he wanted to, in his own words, 'dry up' IRA funding from misguided Irish Americans.) But my friend's story is kind of the opposite, i.e, that Bono allegedly made a comment while on stage that could be interpreted as pro-IRA.

But now I am intrigued, because the incident I think you are referring to was a shooting at an IRA funeral, where several mourners were shot by a loyalist terrorist. Also the timeline is consistent as my friend was at a concert in NY in the late 80s. Most likely Bono said something like all killings should be condemned, and my friend decided to hear that Bono was saying 'up the IRA'.

Finance Guy,

You can look it up, it was one of the two NY shows during Joshua Tree in 87. I have a bootleg somewhere I can try and listen to it again. If my memory holds (and it may not) he said "F the IRA" which is why the girl I was with gasped. She was one of those pro IRA Americans.

Desire was dumped from the setlist that night.

I think Bono had a cold the final week of the first leg of the 1992 tour. Some encores got a bit abbreviated.

In November they played 2 Vancouver shows at the stadium, including Clinton's election day. There was a media party between the 2 shows were 4 members of u2 were the bartenders/waiters!!! One of the shows had the Pride mic throwing incident - something about Edge echo unit and larry's click track not working together.

Back
Top Bottom