Top ten U2 songs of the decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City Of Blinding lights
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
Windows In the skies
Ill go crazy if i don't go crazy tonight
Breathe
Walk On
Stuck in a moment
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Unknown caller

1 Moment of Surrender

then, in no particular order:

2 Breathe
3 Fez-Being Born
4 Magnificent
5 No Line
6 In A Little While
7 Kite
8 Walk On
9 Beautiful Day
10 City of Blinding Lights
11 (sorry) Smile

Fuck the haters; it's been a smashing decade! :rockon:

1. Moment of Surrender

And it's too hard to make a definitive top 10, but at the moment, these 9 probably make the list:

Kite
COBL
Walk On
Beautiful Day
No Line On the Horizon
Stuck In A Moment
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace
Mercy

And I completely agree with Rosebud...when I look back on this decade, it has really been a great one for U2....it's different than the 90's and 80's, yes, but that's how it should be...fuck the haters! :up:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. Vertigo
6. Kite
7. Stateless
8. Sometimes You Can't...
9. Breathe
10. When I look at the World

1.) Moment of Surrender
2.) Walk On
3.) Magnificent
4.) Kite
5.) City of Blinding Lights
6.) Mercy
7.) Beautiful Day
8.) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9.) Window in the Skies
10.) The Ground Beneath Her Feet

No Line On The Horizon
Cedars of Lebanon
Unknown Caller
Fez - Being Born
Miracle Drug
City of Blinding Lights
Fast Cars
Walk On
Kite
In a Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm
Stateless

That's 13, so sue me, I couldn't pare it down to 10. The order varies depending on the day. Yes, it's been a damn good U2 decade. :up:

1. In A Little While
2. Moment Of Surrender
3. Kite
4. Electrical Storm
5. Beautiful Day
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. Magnificent
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. Unknown Caller

Ok guys I'm going to add up all the votes tomorrow night and give you a top ten of the decade. In terms of voting I have added it up so that the song you put number one gets 10 points, the song you put number two gets 9 points, etc. I've added everyone's up till Lauramullen so far. I havn't included people that have put theirs in 'no particular order.'

Anyway so keep voting :wave:

1. Beautiful Day
2. City Of Blinding Lights
3. Electrical Storm
4. Walk On
5. Cedars of Lebanon
6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
7. Vertigo
8. Kite
9. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
10. Unknown Caller

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Unknown Caller
3. Magnificent
4. Original of the Species
5. Kite
6. Xanax and Wine
7. Winter (New Version)
8. Walk On (Single Mix)
9. Summer Rain
10. Native Son

I havn't included people that have put theirs in 'no particular order.'

Damn, you mean I have to put mine in order? Can't you just give us ten without any further statistical breakdowns? Oh, okay, I'll rank them:

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Beautiful Day
3. In a Little While
4. Yahweh
5. Miracle Drug
6. Cedars of Lebanon
7. Electrical Storm (prefer the W.Orbit mix)
8. When I Look at the World
9. Flower Child
10. Magnificent

I've added everyone's up till Lauramullen so far. I havn't included people that have put theirs in 'no particular order.'

Did you include mine? I did say 'Not specifically in this order' but you can put it in your list in this order.

Not specifically in this order:

1. Moment Of Surrender
  2. Fast Cars
  3. Original Of The Species
  4. No Line One The Horizon 2
  5. White As Snow
  6. Magnificent
  7. Yahweh
  8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
  9. Kingdom
  10. Mercy

City Of Blinding lights
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
Windows In the skies
Moment of Surrender
Breathe
Walk On
Stuck in a moment
Unknown caller
No Line on the Horizon

A lot of great music from the boys this decade.

MOS at no. 1, then in no order

COBL
Magnificent
Kite
NLOTH
Breathe
Stuck
Stateless
GBHF
One step closer

OK I tried to put numbers to it...hard to do:

1. MOS
2. Magnificent
3. COBL
4. Kite
5. Stateless
6. GBHF
7. NLOTH
8. Breathe
9. OSC
10. Stuck

Ok guys I'm going to add up all the votes tomorrow night and give you a top ten of the decade. In terms of voting I have added it up so that the song you put number one gets 10 points, the song you put number two gets 9 points, etc. I've added everyone's up till Lauramullen so far. I havn't included people that have put theirs in 'no particular order.'

Anyway so keep voting :wave:

Can you include my ten votes for MOS, since I ranked it first (but didn't rank from there)? Screw the rest... or put them in the order that I randomly selected up to ten (since I put more then ten down).

Unknown Caller
Breathe
No Line
Fez
Kite
GBHF
Windows in the Skies
Miracle Drug
Electrical Storm
Magnificent

Okay since i didn't put them in order...

1. Moment of Surrender
2. Beautiful Day
3. Magnificent
4. Electrical Storm
5. City of Blinding Lights
6. Original of the Species
7. No Line on the Horizon
8. The Ground Beneath her feet
9. In a Little While
10. Vertigo - because it is ridiculous live "honey im home"

and Unknown Caller is probably up there too, though i dont want to remove any from my top ten at the moment...

1 Moment of Surrender

then, in no particular order:

2 Breathe
3 Fez-Being Born
4 Magnificent
5 No Line
6 In A Little While
7 Kite
8 Walk On
9 Beautiful Day
10 City of Blinding Lights
11 (sorry) Smile

Fuck the haters; it's been a smashing decade! :rockon:

So hard! Here's my attempt to order:

1 MOS
2 Beautiful Day
3 No Line
4 Breathe
5 Magnificent
6 Fez-Being Born
7 In A Little While
8 Kite
9 Walk On
10 Smile

COBL got the boot I guess. Love it, but I've probably heard it far too much. Maybe I'll be able to really appreciate it next decade. :wink:

1 Moment of Surrender
2 Beautiful Day
3 Walk On
4 City of Blinding Lights
5 When I Look at the World
6 Cedars of Lebanon
7 Kite
8 One Step Closer
9 Breathe
10 Vertigo

1.Beautiful Day
2.Walk On
4.Kite
5.Breathe
6.Magnificent
7.Miracle Drug
8.City of Blinding Lights
9.Moment of Surrender
10.Electrical Storm

For the love of God, people: this decade doesn't actually end until midnight on December 31, 2010. 2009 is the 9th year of the decade. 2010 is the 10th and final year of the decade. We count 1 through 10, remember? Not 0 through 9. The first year of the A.D. period was 1 AD. There was never a year zero. That means that the decade, like all other decades before it, ends when the 10th year is over (i.e. 2010), and the new decade begins with the year with a one in it (2011). Thinking that the 9th year is the final year is a common mistake that was made with Y2K as well, when in fact the millenium did not change over until Januray 1, 2001. If you don't believe me, look it up.

That being said, if U2 does release another album by June, as has been confirmed by McGuinnes and Bono in an Irish news article today, (see another thread) then we may get more songs that could be favorites of the decade, as the decade doesn't end until the end of next year.

For the love of God, people: this decade doesn't actually end until midnight on December 31, 2010. 2009 is the 9th year of the decade. 2010 is the 10th and final year of the decade. We count 1 through 10, remember? Not 0 through 9. The first year of the A.D. period was 1 AD. There was never a year zero. That means that the decade, like all other decades before it, ends when the 10th year is over (i.e. 2010), and the new decade begins with the year with a one in it (2011). Thinking that the 9th year is the final year is a common mistake that was made with Y2K as well, when in fact the millenium did not change over until Januray 1, 2001. If you don't believe me, look it up.

That being said, if U2 does release another album by June, as has been confirmed by McGuinnes and Bono in an Irish news article today, (see another thread) then we may get more songs that could be favorites of the decade, as the decade doesn't end until the end of next year.

i admire your confidence but the album that is supposed to come out 'Songs of Ascent' is just supposed to be a follow up album to 'No Line' like Zooropa was to Achtung Baby. But u2 hasent released an album this shortly in between albums in a long time.

but u never no.

Clearly, there was a year 0. They didn't call it that, but there was a year (in fact, tens of thousands of them) of human existence prior to what is now considered to have been 1 A.D. Even though the Romans' math was way off (by as much as 35 years, depending on the sources), the point of distinguishing B.C. ("before Christ") and A.D. ("Anno domini") is to make the A.D. part the era of Christ (they also had that wrong, as he was probably born in summer). But let's imagine, for the sake of argument, that Christ was born on Dec. 25th. One week later, was it year one? One week later, had there been a whole year of the Lord? No, there'd been a week. In fact, it makes more sense to wait one whole year (plus a week) to count year 1.

The mathematical errors in the calculations give us free reign to add the year "zero" if we want, and in fact it is more logical to do so. For example, at twelve o'clock midnight it is 12:00 a.m., not p.m. And it isn't 12:01, it's 12:00, so clearly we are counting minute "zero".

I therefore maintain that the distinction of decades is entirely arbitrary, and, further, that it makes more sense to retroactively apply the year zero.

Thus, while a math nerd might insist on the decade ending at the '10' of each year, the rest of the world would rather follow the language convention of, 'if-it-starts-with-a-new-number,-it's-a-new-decade', and who can blame it?

Putting "The Hands That Built America" and "Electrical Storm" on The Best of 1990 to 2000 was still stupid, though.

I don't give a shit! I'll still go to Newman and Kramer's New Year's Party. 2010 will have to be "Jerry Free"... I can live with that. :wink:

1. Moment of Surrender
2. Beautiful Day
3. Kite
4. No Line
5. City of Blinding Lights
6. Breathe
7. Mercy
8. Magnificent
9. Fez/Being Born
10. Fast Cars

Back
Top Bottom