The Edge Vs. Johnny Marr.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streets613

The Fly
Who do you perfer? He probably would've worked well in It Might Get Loud. Just saying.

The Edge:
U2

Johnny Marr:
The Smiths
The Modest Mouse album that doesn't blow
The song at the end of "Inception"
Various insignificant indie bands.

Granted, Edge has Bono. Bono > Morrissey, Isaac Brock, various insignificant indie frontmen.......

Insingificant indie frontmen? Does that include Bernard Sumner from Joy Division/New Order? But yeah, J Marr is up there with the best of them.

I like Johnny Marr, and think that The Smiths were a truly great band, but I have to give the edge to The Edge.

Also, this is a U2 fan forum.

Marr's work with The Smiths puts him right up there with alternative rock's best guitarists.

U2fan: BUT BUT BUTTTTTTTTTT

Marr's guitarwork with The Smiths puts him up there as a true innovator alongside Edge. Like Edge, he's someone who has his trademark style and sound which is something few guitarplayers ever achieve. The main thing I think that gives Edge the advantage is that he pushed and manipulated his guitar playing into a whole host of different musical genres and styles over a longer period than Marr did.

Speaking of Johnny Marr, its almost a year ago to the day that I bumped into him walking along a street in Manchester. I was pretty excited cos I'd literally just come out of a record shop having bought a couple of Smiths albums. He was a very friendly guy, more than happy to sign my albums, asked me what I was up to/listening to etc. Sound bloke. :up:

I love Johnny Marr, and think he's just as influential as The Edge, but I'm pretty sure the people who made It Might Get Loud chose The Edge because he has more name recognition than Marr.

Johnny Marr brings the jangle, Edge brings the delay. Not really comparable IMO.

Johnny Marr vs. Roger McGuinn makes more sense to me. Or, better yet, Marr vs. Peter Buck, since they're contemporaneous.

A similarly interesting comparison is Edge vs. Charlie Burchill (Simple Minds). I love Charlie's playing (esp. his slide guitar) but Edge is a whole level above. Probably as much to do with the quality of the songs than the overall quality of the musicianship. Edge has some glorious songs in which to show his colours.

personally i prefer The Edge over Johnny Marr...

but if we're talking about Jonny Greenwood, now that's a different matter altogether...

I heard Thom hid his guitar from him again...

I wish Thom would stop hiding his guitar from him so we can get another album like The Bends from them.

Anyway, The Edge is brilliant in his own right and Johnny Marr is brilliant in his own right. Since we all know how great The Edge is, here's a little informative piece on Johnny Marr and The Smiths

YouTube - Noel Gallagher talks about The Smiths

Back
Top Bottom