Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
larry_56207a.jpg

Don't laugh Larry! Don't laugh!

Truely I hope it works out. I loved Titus from Taymor and hope that The Tempest is good too. Of course it helps to have The Bard helping you with a screenplay.

I guess there's something to look forward to:

http://www.atu2.com/news/column-off-the-recordvol-9-438.html

"Rise Above" has to be one of the most beautiful ones Bono has ever written as well as one of the most inspirational. It's a tear-jerker of a ballad and you can't help but want to rise above whatever is troubling you. It was refreshing to hear proper duets and ensemble songs written by Bono and Edge as it shows their strengths as songwriters. The conflict, tension, and heartache was well executed through the music.

Just skimming, I can't believe some people paid 275 for a ticket

The 60 Minutes piece was interesting and I enjoyed Bono's voice there. I would think that Broadway snobs are not their audience, or the traditional Broadway ticket buyer. But is enough left after eliminating that to sustain it? Of course if it's not even good then that will take care of itself. You can go to Cirque du Soleil to see flying people, so outside of Bono and Edge's music/U2 fans and any Spiderman appeal I think it's a limited audience.

oh my fucking god i don't believe it... run out of ideas did they? :down:

am i really reading this right?

if so, way to break the whole "Spiderman" illusion, magic and atmosphere by playing such recognisable U2 songs in the score! i'm really shocked actually! :shocked:

Overreact do you?:down:

I haven't seen NYD reported on anywhere else so that leaves me suspicious, but Vertigo is used as a background song at a disco, not as part of the storyline.

Anyone who went last night, or is going soon- could you comment on whether the show is suitable for a 6 year old? Im taking my 6 yo in January- want to make sure its not too intense- loud etc.-

any info appreciated- we are up in one of the boxes in balcony

from what ive read- the broadway critics have been licking their chops for months to bash this show- im sure they will trim down the story lines a bit over the next few weeks and make it flow easier
personally- i'll be glad if the u2 songs dont sound like traditional "broadway" show tunes and rub the traditionalists the wrong way

People seem to not like this part of the show:

I also didn't feel that a musical number starring a mutant female spider and her posse singing about the shoes they just ransacked from a shoe store was progressing the story any. It didn't help matters that the song resembled "Get On Your Boots" to a degree.

Poor Get on your boots. You get no love. :sad: :D

I liked the "every day is a war and I'm losing it" and "my shoes don't fit my hands" bits, and Bono and the actress dueting - "anyone but me".

I'm just terrified that every aspect of the show will be decimated in reviews, and Bono & Edge will be ridiculed and persecuted. !

I think Bono and Edge will come out of this just fine. I'm sure they'll be really disappointed (and rightly so) if it flops.

Who's going to be ridiculing and "persecuting" them? The U2 haters, I'm sure, will add it to their hater fodder, but big deal.

Anyone who went last night, or is going soon- could you comment on whether the show is suitable for a 6 year old? Im taking my 6 yo in January- want to make sure its not too intense- loud etc.-

While it always depends on the child, I don't feel that any broadway show is good for kids. My nieces and nephews were bored silly at The Lion King, and these are kids who sit quietly while watching movies and read on their own.

They just couldn't understand what was going on. The dialog was hard to figure out, and if you aren't hearing every word of the songs, it just becsomes noise and flash.

Just spent the morning reading every "review" I can get my eyes on. Seems kids love it. Broadway followers hate it. Professional reviewers are generally positive about it, but acknowledge that it needs work. The score is often mentioned as one of the weak points.

But I'm optimistic. Bono and Edge are not one-listen hit-makers. Even their biggest hits require repeated listenings. I think as the show matures, the songs will really begin to resonate. Just a hunch.

Overreact do you?:down:

I haven't seen NYD reported on anywhere else so that leaves me suspicious, but Vertigo is used as a background song at a disco, not as part of the storyline.

yep, always!

BVS you are so predictable it's funny :D

ps- to me, it doesn't matter if Vertigo is just used at a disco and not part of a storyline - it's still almost as cringe-worthy, in my opinion, as having a music video of U2 playing in Linear - it breaks the illusion

it's schoolish and amateur and very limited to my mind, and has no place at that level of creativity (in my opinion lol)

pps - a "disco" eh? i'm surprised they didn't just go the whole hog and use the Crazy Tonight remix instead :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom