Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 2: POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's something to enjoy in every track, and Mofo and Gone (at last) have especially grown on me in recent months.

TOP FLIGHT CLASSICS
1. Do You Feel Loved
2. Discotheque
3. Please

4. Last Night On Earth
5. Mofo
6. If You Wear That Velvet Dress

7. If God Will Send His Angels
8. Miami
9. Gone
10. Staring At The Sun
11. Wake Up Dead Man

U2 AT THEIR WEAKEST
12. The Playboy Mansion

Bono's voice: Making the girls and the boys have funny feelings since {insert release year of your favorite U2 album here}.

Okay, I'm going to rank these without having seen anyone else's list, so as not to unintentionally sway my opinion one way or another. Having said that...

12) The Playboy Mansion
11) Miami

10) Wake Up Dead Man
9) If You Wear That Velvet Dress

8) Last Night on Earth
7) Do You Feel Loved?
6) If God Will Send His Angels (single version)

5) Discotheque
4) Gone

3) Mofo
2) Staring at the Sun
1) Please (single version)

Not a bad album at all, but unfortunately (along with ATYCLB) it is entirely too top-heavy. Oh well, still quite a few solid tunes...

EDIT: digitize, I'm right with you on the Jools Holland version of IYWTVD... :drool: I'd definitely rank the song quite a bit higher if that jewel of a mix ended up on the record.

Bono's voice: Making the girls and the boys have funny feelings since {insert release year of your favorite U2 album here}.

Amen to that :yes: (and the Jools Holland version kicks serious ass, too. Not just because of the vocals, but god, the music in it...love it. Love it much).

I love this album, so this is going to be incredibly hard for me, but let's see here...

1. Please (Excellent lyrics, so emotional and haunting)
2. Gone (Always loved the music in this song, as well as the way it's sung)
3. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (I'm a girl who finds Bono attractive. 'Nuff said)
4. If God Will Send His Angels (Beautiful song, has actually made me cry before)
5. Staring At The Sun (Love the imagery this song conjures up)
6. Discotheque
7. Do You Feel Loved? (See answer to "Velvet Dress")
8. Miami
9. Last Night On Earth
10. The Playboy Mansion (I love the "Then will there be no time for sorrow, then will there be no time for pain..." bit)
11. Mofo
12. Wake Up, Dead Man (only because I tend to forget about how good this song is until I actually listen to it)

8 and 9 can flip around depending on my mood. But there isn't a single song off here I don't like. All good stuff start to finish.

Angela

Did you get a bum copy of the album, with only three songs? Man, you should have taken that shit back for a refund.

It's the inverse Japanese version. The "we really don't give a shit if you buy this album or not" version. Probably from Estonia or Canada.

Hey, I don't think we're supposed to be rating the singles -- just the tracks on the original album.

This is such a weird one for me. Pop somehow doesn't quite work to its full potential on any level: the songs are all great, the ideas and ambitions are admirable, the performances are fine -- yet, somehow, something is missing. Zooropa, by comparison, which was recorded in a fraction of the time, built around less solidly constructed songs, and had fewer big-ideas on display, is somehow a much more satisfying album. Then there's the fact that some songs only came to life on the tour, while others were vastly improved on their re-recordings/mixing as singles. It's also the only U2 album that I find rather despairing in its spiritual position. So, it's a weird one all around.

Outstanding:
Discotheque
Please
Staring at the Sun
If God Will Send His Angels

Very good:
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Gone

Good / Average:
Last Night on Earth
Do You Feel Loved?
Wake Up Dead Man

Mediocre at best:
Mofo

Utter crap:
Miami

discotheque
mofo
last night on earth
if you wear that velvet dress
gone
miami
staring at the sun
wake up dead man
please
do you feel loved
if god will send his angels
the playboy mansion

please has no place being so low, but i love everything above it too much to put it before those. this album still holds so many memories for me, listening to it takes me right back to the summer of 1997. that year was when i went from being a fan to a huge fan, going to shows and stuff. it was a fun and sexy time for me.

I might be the only one who prefers the album version of Velvet Dress to the Jools Holland one. I really like that version, but the album version just oozes sensuality. Love it.
i hear you. i'm not a huge fan of the jools holland one, i love the album version.

I might be the only person who thinks Do You Feel Loved is the best song on the album......and I think that despite feeling like the song is just shy of being awesome.
meh.

mofo
gone
if god will send his angels
last night on earth
staring at the sun
if you wear that velvet dress
discotheque
the playboy mansion
do you feel loved
wake up dead man
please
miami

this is one of the few u2 albums (the only one?) that i love every single song on. ranking please and miami so low feels cruel, but i think they're all great. on any given day you can change the order completely and i won't mind the difference.

and yet it's not my favourite u2 album.

I might be the only person who thinks Do You Feel Loved is the best song on the album......and I think that despite feeling like the song is just shy of being awesome.

i really think i'd rate it higher if it was the guitar, bass and loops the whole way through, without the drums coming in.

it was the song i was listening to the moment that i really "got" pop.

Not too much distance between my three groupings. I LOVE Pop. I absolutely get why a certain demographic of fan doesn't like it, and I get why some find its needing work infuriating, but give me this U2 any day of the week, even if they don't quite get there.

Mofo
Gone
Please

Do You Feel Loved
Discotheque
Velvet Dress
Playboy Mansion
Staring at the Sun
Wake Up Dead Man

Last Night on Earth
Miami

----UTTER CRAP----
Any of the Best Of versions of these songs.

1.) Please
2.) Mofo
3.) Gone
4.) Do You Feel Loved
5.) Discotheque
6.) Wake Up Dead Man
7.) Last Night on Earth
8.) Staring at the Sun
9.) If God Will Send His Angels
10.) Miami
11.) If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12.) The Playboy Mansion

Once again, like Zooropa, another cracking album that can be listened to start to finish.

Mofo and Wake up dead man are two of my all time U2 faves. IGWSHA was up until this century my least favourite u2 song, though it has grown on me a bit since. I've never understood the love for last night, it works live, but the studio version is very dull to my ears, a little like later phase oasis.
1. Mofo
2. Wake Up Dead Man
3. Gone
4. Discotheque
5. Do You Feel Loved
6. Please
7. If You Wear That velver Dress
8. miami
9. Staring At The Sun
10. Playboy Mansion
11. Last night On Earth
12 IGWSHA

And off of that remark....

1. Gone
2. Wake Up Dead Man
3. The Playboy Mansion*
4. If God Will Send His Angels*
5. Last Night on Earth
6. Discotheque
7. Miami*
8. Please
9. Mofo
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11. Do You Feel Loved
12. Staring at the Sun

*suck it, haters.

Also, the "new mix" and single versions of all these songs can suck it, too. Even the one for Please.

I'm with you on Miami and Playboy Mansion, much underrated. I ranked PM 10th on my list but I'm still a big fan.

sorry I aint gonna do the split Fantastic to Shit list, its a bit......Rambo-eating-candyfloss, for me so just like some others

listing from top fav to least fav, but I love this album, really do.

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send his Angels
Last Night On Earth
Miami
Discotheque
Gone
Please
The Playboy Mansion
Wake Up Dead Man
Staring at the Sun

1. Gone (original album version, one of U2's greatest songs of all time)
2. Mofo
3. Last night on earth
4. Do you feel loved
5. Discothque
6.Wake up dead man
7. If you wear...
8. If God will send his angels
9. Please
10.Staring at the sun
11. The playboy mansion
12. Miami

Great:
1. Gone
2. Wake Up Dead Man
3. Discotheque
4. Please

Very good:
5. Last Night On Earth

Good/ok:
6. Do You Feel Loved
7. Mofo
8. If God Will Send His Angels
9. Staring At the Sun

Mediocre:
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11. The Playboy Mansion

Bloody awful:
12. Miami

My opinion on Pop differed throughout the years, but now I'd say that despite the Miami - Playboy Mansion - Velvet Dress run, it's one of my favourite U2 albums. I like its messiness and energy.

Alright, first time I've done one of these. It's hard for me to rate some of these because I heard many songs before I heard the original album versions.

1. Gone - But it has to be the Best of 1990-2000 version. This was probably the first Pop song I ever heard studio-wise because I didn't listen to Pop until 2-3 years after Best of 1990-2000. I'd be interested to know how this changes for other people based on what version they heard first. To me this version just seems to have lot more energy unlike the original which almost sounds restrained and needs to be brought out into the open.
The other Pop tracks on Best of 1990-2000 I don't care for as much as the originals because they seem to take the opposite approach of Gone in that the new mixes are more restrained and stripped down.
2. Discotheque - Cheesy, but the best kind of cheesy.
3. Do You Feel Loved? - Unsuspecting at first, but the bass line pulls you in and you can't escape.
4. Mofo - Sounds like nothing else.
5. If God Will Send His Angels - As with Gone, except this time I heard it first from watching the video on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD. The sombre slow-mo talking while everything else was going on as normal seemed to bring home the desperation of the song straight away for me. I don't know how I'd feel if I listened to it first sans video.
6. Please - Hard to think of the song without picturing any of the live versions (particularly towards the end). Powerful stuff when you really concentrate on it.
7. Wake Up Dead Man - I appreciate all the different sound layers on the studio version, adds to the sense of confusion and desperation.
8. Last Night on Earth - Nice, but nothing special?
9. Staring at the Sun - As above.
10. If You Wear that Velvet Dress - I think I'd need to be in the right mood, and I don't know if this has ever happened.
11. Miami - Not quite as close to The Playboy Mansion as it looks.
12. The Playboy Mansion - A bit mystifying to listen to for the first time only a few years ago, but does make for a great Streets snippet so I'm happy it exists.

Do You Feel Loved
Wake Up Dead Man
Please
Mofo
Gone
Discotheque
Last Night on Earth
Staring at the Sun
Miami
The Playboy Mansion

Gets better each time I hear it, and I loved it the first time around.

I don't get the Playboy Mansion hate, I really like that song. It's hard for me to make an overall ranking. Pop is just:drool:

Excellent - all of these are virutally interchangeable:
Please
Discotheque
Staring at the Sun
Last Night on Earth
Do You Feel Loved
Gone
Mofo

Great:
If God Would Send His Angels
Miami
Wake Up Dead Man

Eh:
Playboy Mansion

Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Staring at the Sun
Gone
Mofo
Discotheque
Last Night on Earth
Do You Feel Loved?
The Playboy Mansion
Miami

MOFO
Discotheque
Staring at the Sun
Gone
Last night on earth
Do you feel loved
Miami
If you wear that velvet dress
If god will send his angels
Wake up dead man
The playboy mansion

MOFO
Do You Feel Loved
Gone
Last Night on Earth
Wake Up Dead Man
Please
Staring at the Sun
If You Wear that Velvet Dress
Playboy Mansion
Discotheque

Miami

Mofo
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Last Night on Earth
Gone
Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Staring at the Sun
Miami
Playboy Mansion

But, I love all these songs. Pop is one of my favorites by anyone.

Gone (one of my allt time fav U2 songs)
Please (same as Gone and the live version even makes it like 10 times better)

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
Wake Up Dead Man

Discotheque
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun

The Playboy Mansion
Miami

In a way I even like Miami so yeah almost every song is great.

Back
Top Bottom