Questions about the Lovetown documentary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So, I just realized(after reading the wikipedia page for the Lovetown tour) that the Lovetown documentary actually exists. I've found a 45-minute version of it on Youtube that includes performances of Hawkmoon 269, When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me, God Part II, All I Want Is You, and All Along The Watchtower. I've also found Desire from the UK version separately. Stellar performances. This is precious, precious footage. Anyway, a few questions:

1. Is the video of these performances without the interview bits available anywhere? People talk over the end of AIWIY among other parts, and it irks me because I'd like to rip the audio of these tracks but I don't know if I want to hear these people(they're just fans) talking over certain parts every time I listen.

2. Wiki says Van Dieman's Land was also in the documentary, but it's not in what's on youtube. Does anyone know if it's available anywhere?

3. Was the rest of the show these performances were taken from shot? If so, you know, why hasn't it been released?

1. No
2. Yes, I think the longer documentary was uploaded to U2torrents awhile back. I used to have a crappy VHS that contained it as well.
3. The first 2 Sydney shows from November 89 were shot completely with a full camera crew (I believe the third was as well or only portions of that one were shot). They will most likely never see the light of day.

If U2 have any sense they'll release the doco as part of a R&H remaster. I won't be holding my breath. It's a shame though, since that 18 November 1989 show was so passionate - what with it being the bomb threat show I guess that's no surprise, but it deserves to be more widely heard. Probably the best Hawkmoon ever.

If U2 have any sense they'll release the doco as part of a R&H remaster. I won't be holding my breath. It's a shame though, since that 18 November 1989 show was so passionate - what with it being the bomb threat show I guess that's no surprise, but it deserves to be more widely heard. Probably the best Hawkmoon ever.

I think it is one of their best shows ever and they did not even play my favorite U2 song Streets!

If they release the documentary it will most likely be the same one that was on the Direct TV special a few years ago.

Best Knockin' on Heaven's Door as well and one of the best versions of New Year's Day (probably the only time I've heard Bono sing that "Maybe the time is right" part live).

My favourite Lovetown show and one of the best gigs they did.

I think he sang that part once or twice in late 1982/early 1983 too, but I can't recall specific performances now.

I think he sang that part once or twice in late 1982/early 1983 too, but I can't recall specific performances now.

I'm pretty sure he did, the Manchester 1982 complete soundboard bootleg he sings that verse from what I can remember. I'm at work so I can't check.

That's the one I was thinking of! Bloody weird performance.

Is that the show where they got threatened if they played Pride and Bono sang the whole song with his eyes closed, and then opened them to see Adam jamming away in front of him?

That was in 1987. Second night in Los Angeles I believe, on the 1st leg, although the origin of the controversy was in Arizona, due to governer Mecham cancelling the Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Bono campaigning against that decision.

Is that the show where they got threatened if they played Pride and Bono sang the whole song with his eyes closed, and then opened them to see Adam jamming away in front of him?

What djerdap said. This is the one where a bomb threat was phoned in to the venue beforehand, and the whole crowd had to be evacuated. There was no bomb, everybody came back in, and the show took place as planned. Bono makes a comment during the show about how they just wanted everybody to see the lovely moon that evening.

Back
Top Bottom