One{ Studio recording}

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
from 3 minutues and 37 seconds in the studio recording and onwards, it
becomes a great song and from 4 minutes and 08 seconds onwards, ONE
becomes the greatest version that any live versions of ONE could not touch.

Please everyone... take some moments and hear the album version and give
your opinion.

100% disagree. I've never liked the studio version, thanks (in part) to the guitar effects. And the lack of "Can you hear me knocking?" verse.

I agree that the studio version of One is far superior to any live version, including Zoo TV itself!

100% disagree. I've never liked the studio version, thanks (in part) to the guitar effects. And the lack of "Can you hear me knocking?" verse.

Yeah, that verse is really the only remotely decent part of One. The studio version and any live version without it are pretty much worthless in my view.

from 3 minutues and 37 seconds in the studio recording and onwards, it
becomes a great song and from 4 minutes and 08 seconds onwards, ONE
becomes the greatest version that any live versions of ONE could not touch.

Please everyone... take some moments and hear the album version and give
your opinion.

I agree that the studio version is better than any live version. It's a fantastic song. It is over hyped though in general, it's not the best song on Achtung Baby, let alone by U2. I still love it though, my favourite being the strings just before the second first and that moody abrasive sounding slide guitar type bit at around the 58 second bit.
Love it.

I will NEVER understand how anyone can hate this song. But it's just my opinion.

One is one of the finest songs ever made by anyone. I like both the studio and the live versions, they still give me shivers. I especially love the orchestra versions. There have been good and bad live versions, I know, and I totally agree that the song has been enormously overplayed by the band, BUT somehow it still manages to give me teary eyes.

That said, the studio version is my favourite one.
I think if there is one iconic U2 song for me, it's One.
Others may disagree, I don't care.
I've fallen in and out of love with other U2 songs, but my love for One is a constant.
The song just takes me to another level, emotionally and spiritually.

:heart:

I've always liked it live when edge kicks it up a notch before the knocking verse.

I've also thought they could be much more creative with one at shows- sometimes, but not always, integrate extended snippets and medleys- between the last regular verse and the live knocking verse. kind of like pearl jam does with daughter or U2 did with Bad back in the day.

I love One... either the studio version, or the ZooTV and (especially) PopMart live versions. I really don't understand how one could not like this song... it's probably my second favorite.

The vocals make it for me, Bono doesn't get close to the same passion on the live takes than he does on the album version. The music is more restrained, that's true, but One is all about the meaning that the guitar solos. How any U2 fan can not love it, is beyond me..... That's a lie to be fair, they're either tired of it, or want to be different.

I will NEVER understand how anyone can hate this song. But it's just my opinion.

One is one of the finest songs ever made by anyone. I like both the studio and the live versions, they still give me shivers. I especially love the orchestra versions. There have been good and bad live versions, I know, and I totally agree that the song has been enormously overplayed by the band, BUT somehow it still manages to give me teary eyes.

That said, the studio version is my favourite one.
I think if there is one iconic U2 song for me, it's One.
Others may disagree, I don't care.
I've fallen in and out of love with other U2 songs, but my love for One is a constant.
The song just takes me to another level, emotionally and spiritually.

:heart:

Wow, we do agree on something! :ohmy: One is indeed one of the finest songs made by anyone. :heart:

The album version is the best one, Milan 95, Mexico 97 and Dublin 03 is also amazing versions but not as good as the album version.

Also, Are there anyone here who have the demo version of One that is a few minutes long? It starts with a strange sound in the beginning. I had that version once.

How any U2 fan can not love it, is beyond me..... That's a lie to be fair, they're either tired of it, or want to be different.

...or we never really liked it to begin with.

Just because we dislike a "popular" U2 song doesn't mean we're tired of it OR want to be different. It means we dislike it.

(I put quotes around popular because half my friends who are casual U2 fans haven't even heard of One--the song they know off Achtung Baby is Mysterious Ways)

"One" is a masterpiece! studio version is the best(bono can never sing like that again) also its not a "popular" song. A song like "vertigo" is popular (which i hate with a passion) and is quite crap if you ask me.

...or we never really liked it to begin with.

Just because we dislike a "popular" U2 song doesn't mean we're tired of it OR want to be different. It means we dislike it.

(I put quotes around popular because half my friends who are casual U2 fans haven't even heard of One--the song they know off Achtung Baby is Mysterious Ways)

I don't agree with that, I'd say One is probably one of the top three best known U2 tunes, but it could all be geography. It gets lampooned over here, for example Q magazine (country's biggest music mag) voted it the best song ever of all time. Sounds a bit famous to me.

Sad Punk thanks for making me spray OJ all over my keyboard, your first comment was priceless...:wink:

I like the live better, I disagree that Bono has more passion on the studio version, or maybe the visuals of seeing him sing it live have resounded more deeply with me. Or maybe I should go listen to more studio than live U2, which I rarely do :lol:

The album version is the best one, Milan 95, Mexico 97 and Dublin 03 is also amazing versions but not as good as the album version.

Also, Are there anyone here who have the demo version of One that is a few minutes long? It starts with a strange sound in the beginning. I had that version once.

:)

Back
Top Bottom