Latest U2.com Stream: Chicago 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pathetic and entitled "hole in the heart" sit down protestors in Boston taint that entire production.

I agree that was pathetic, but if you showed the Boston film to someone who didn’t know about it, I bet you a beer that they wouldn’t notice.

Those entitled brats make me embarrassed for humanity.

Like, I'm personally embarrassed.

I was embarrassed being there and listening to those whiny girls harassing and bothering Paul McGuiness in the heart when he was in there. Terrible entitled "Karens" to use a common phrase.

If they remastered this, did they finally take out the "I have a frog in my throat" line? I, to this day, have no idea why Bono said that when he knew it was being recorded for a concert film, and why they left it in there!

If they remastered this, did they finally take out the "I have a frog in my throat" line? I, to this day, have no idea why Bono said that when he knew it was being recorded for a concert film, and why they left it in there!

Still there. Looking at the video there was effectively no way* to do a workable overdub. And it’s charming.

Thinking back, Elevation in this show was when many of us here first noticed that the “woo”s were on tape. A clumsy dub to get rid of the ‘frog’ line would have tipped us all over the edge :)

*Of course, in Zoo Station we hear Bono singing while seeing him not singing, so anything’s possible.

Still there. Looking at the video there was effectively no way* to do a workable overdub. And it’s charming.

Thinking back, Elevation in this show was when many of us here first noticed that the “woo”s were on tape. A clumsy dub to get rid of the ‘frog’ line would have tipped us all over the edge :)

*Of course, in Zoo Station we hear Bono singing while seeing him not singing, so anything’s possible.

It's one of those lines that to me is like an audio version of the Aung San Suu Kyi mask. Plain old awkward and weird.

I agree that was pathetic, but if you showed the Boston film to someone who didn’t know about it, I bet you a beer that they wouldn’t notice.

100% I didn’t even know about it until I read it on the net years after the dvd was released

I love the "frog in my throat" line. That kinda stuff is why I love live music. My favorite version of Elevation is the Boston 2001 where his voice cracks a little because he was recovering from the cold he got the week prior. Adds a special one off moment to the performance and makes it unique. I don't have as much interest in rote live performances with zero deviation from the album. The one off ad-libs and vocal cracks or change in vocal delivery is my favorite thing about Bono. Now I admit sometimes he goes overboard but in most cases my favorite live versions all include some adlib or one off vocal delivery in the song.

When I sing along to the studio version I typically "hear" the live version in my head and add the adlib or vocal delivery change.

I might be alone in this though.

I was never sure about NYD either in that spot specifically or on the Vertigo tour generally. Opinion hasn’t changed over time. Feels like a “well, we’ve got to put something here...” sort of spot.
I got Gloria instead of NYD when I saw them on that leg. Good tradeoff.

Actually took quite a while for me to get NYD. Kept eluding me until the Joshua Tree anniversary tour.

Back
Top Bottom