Ian McCulloch slags off U2 and their fans..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jealousy is a beautiful thing :lol:

Neil McCormick's summed it up nicely in his twitter posts:-

For you Ian, the war is over. & you lost. 'Ian McCulloch: U2 are for teenagers'

I loved Echo & The Bunnymen as much as I ever loved a band. But now they're bedraggled session men reheating old glories to pay mortgages

@U2log What's sad is that he is so jealous. He once complained to me that he should have written Stay ... & starred in the video! :lol:

He actually said this also:

Do you ever think that “The Killing Moon” is bigger than the band itself?
“The Killing Moon” is more than a song, it’s about everything. It’s up there with “Suzanne” by Leonard Cohen, “Blowin In the Wind,” “In My Life.” Every time I sing it I feel like… [looks perplexed] whoa, something just happened there. I let the crowd sing along with it now too. It used to put me off… like being in Glasgow something they’d all sound like “och aye, da dee dee…” But now I really enjoy it. It’s hard enough to get a band to agree and say ‘that’s the one.’ But with “The Killing Moon,” everyone gets it.”

His ego knows no bounds. If nothing else, he can provide some interesting sound bites.

Dear Ian McCrapough:

Shut the fuck up. Every time you open your mouth, I have to go listen to one of your great songs to convince myself that you quite possibly aren't a complete twat and are just going senile in your old age.

Bono, for his part, still manages to write the odd good tune, at his old age.

Thanks.

Somebody's JEALOUS! With a capital J. I like Echo & the Bunnymen but this is just a way to spread info on their tour. They want attention. And the U2 is for 14 year olds comment. He's right! It is. I listened to them when I was 14 and have been since age 11. I hate the people who say shit about U2. Keep your :censored: mouth shut!:angry: If you don't I'll bitch slap you into the middle of next month!

People, people, you aren't meant to get mad at McCulloch! You're meant to laugh!

What a sodding mountain goat.

I have no idea if he is or not. I just learned of this. Need to do my research. :nerd:

Your research will lead you to classic bile spat at almost anybody on the planet.

McCulloch is one of the best walking quote machines going around.

Echo and The Bunnymen have made some great albums. Their first four albums were great. They are much much more than the song "The Killing Moon".

Even Larry Mullen Jr. liked (EATB's) "Ocean Rain" (album) and had great things to say about the album, and the late Pete de Frietas' drumming, when Larry was interviewed in Modern Drummer (1985).

Pete de Frietas died in a motorcycle accident in 1987. Ian quit the Bunnymen just before. The Bunnymen then disbanded. Ian and Will Sergeant (guitarist) started a band called Electrafixion in 1994. They made (1) album and meet calls of EATB titles at each show by fans that wanted The Bunnymen and not Electrafixion. The Bunnymen reunited in 1997 witht he release of "Evergreen". It's a pretty great album but the last of theirs that was with 3 of the 4 original members, as (bassist Les Pattinson) left before the tour.

In short, the problem with EATB today is that they are only half of the band that made their great albums. It is as if U2 was only Bono and Edge. There'd be some great ideas and some well executed but a BAND is the sum of it's parts and every part IS important.

Even Adam mentioned Les Pattinson in 2004, stating that his rolling bass part on "Vertigo" was bassed on the type of parts that Les Pattinson was known for. And in my opinion, that is what The Bunnymen have been missing. They are only 1/2 of The Bunnymen + hired musicians. It can get the job done but it is not that 'special'.

That is what U2 has - special. The fact that they are still together. The fact that 29 years since they released their first album, they are still filling stadiums.

So is Ian McCulloch a bit jealous? Maybe. But again, it is more the good natured shit talking that he's done for years.

Proof he's not a complete asshole...

...I met Ian and Will at the Virgin Megastore a few years back when their "Crystal Days" box set came out in the summer of 2001. They played a short set and signed posters and box sets.

I'd forgotten and had worn a U2 shirt that day. I had a hoodie too but the zipper was down. When I got to the front of the line, Ian snickered and said ""Fookin' nerve" and smiled. I smiled back and said: "I love both band and pulled up the zipper. Ian smiled and said "Not necessary. Not a problem" and laughed again. He signed my box set and CD and was chatty. I asked him some questions about Bunnymen songs and he was more than friendly in answering. Nice enough guy.

I ran into (guitarist) Will Sergeant before the set and signing and he was also very cool. A bit shy but perfectly nice.

A few thoughts.
1.) Ian was known as Mac The Mouth by the UK press because he always has something to say to stir up something.
2.) Yes, there may be some jealousy.
3.) Bunnymen wanted to be underground, dark and mysterious. Bunnymen wanted to be The Doors meets Velvet Underground. He can't be surprise that The Bunnymen didn't make "Beatles/Stones/U2" overground/big money when you are trying to be 'underground'. Both The Doors and Velvet Underground were both broke when they ended in the early `70's. It's only been in retrospect that their influence has been seen and bigger money earned.

The Edge was inspired by a number of guitar players from punk and post punk bands of the late 1970's to early 1980. He was inspired by The Bunnymen (and guitarist Will Sergeant). Edge and Bono have said as much in the past. As I mentioned earlier, Adam mentioned the influence when he wrote his "Vertigo" bass part.

So while it's easy to say McCulloch is jealous or whatever... truth is, that The Bunnymen have influence other musicians, including U2. The Bunnymen made some great records. And yes, part of them is jealous of U2 on some level.

The Cutter - Echo And the Bunnymen. Check out the bass line and you might see what Adam was referring to and what I mentioned about the type of rolling bassline.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rimebQv-0Dc

Few more cool Bunny-tunes.

My White Devil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-1DB3T9HwQ

All That Jazz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPqflnRzU8

This man might not be a complete asshole, but, really, he speaks as if he were.

I could understand a bit of hyping about their new tour, everybody does, even our boys, remember, but how can anyone be understanding with such nonsense being repeated time after time? I don't even think it's a good way of advertising, you can speak bad of the other bands, but not of their fans, those are who you want to go to your concerts!!!

I don't think that being a good musician, if he is, I can't tell, justifies it.

Your research will lead you to classic bile spat at almost anybody on the planet.

McCulloch is one of the best walking quote machines going around.

Heh, I personally find it useless to just complain and smash my keyboard on whatever Mr. "soddin' mountain goat" McCullouch says. Just better to lean back on your chair and have a hearty laugh. :D

hahaha Ian McCulloch's inane ramblings and jealous hissy fits are always good for a bit of light entertainment. I can't believe how someone could go round saying shit like that about someone ALL THE TIME.

Don't get me wrong I love a lot of Echo & The Bunnymen (got a 2-disc best of, I'd say about 1/3 or 1/2 of if doesn't sound the same as the rest so stands out as pretty good song writing) but this guy just fucking puts me off them somehow. Total prick.

I do love a bit of snark! :love:

Exactly, and that is all that it is... snark, bravado, chest-puffing nuggets for the NME.

Save your anger for those blocking/slowingdown/and lying thier @sses off about healthcare reform. Those on the right and middle left that are not blocking due to principle but as they don't want to lose all of that money they get from the insurance and pharmaceutical industry.

Now THAT is a good reason to be angry. Not Ian McCulloch being Ian McCulloch.

Oh Ian...bless it.

I have a feeling it's a bit of jealousy since the rest of Echo's recent US tour was cancelled due to money issues. U2 just finished a pretty much sell out tour of the US and Europe.

I do enjoy Echo and the Bunnymen but have always wanted to kick Ian in the balls.

lol who cares what this guy says.. I can't even name one song of Echo and The Bunnymen from the last 20 years and when was the last time they had a hit or released anything of any worth anyway? Maybe they are doing the Radiohead thing, not seeking any publicity or mainstream popularity, but the difference is that Radiohead's direction was intentional and Echo and The Bunnymen had no say in the matter... face it, they are crap now and can't take it that U2 are still up there. Get over it Ian, whatever the hell your name is.

No one ever says their influenced by U2?

:lol:

Many have said it, and many won't but their music certainly does.

I love the last paragraph!
........................................................................................................
Echo and the Bunnymen's Ian McCulloch has once again singled out U2 for a tongue-lashing, branding the Irish megastars' music as "flag-waving" and "immature."

McCulloch has regularly stated his aversion to Bono and friends and appears to love using the press to express his disdain. Last year he referred to them as "spud peelers" whose ambition was to join music's elite stars like Bob Geldof, Sting and "all them c---s who no one really likes."

This time around, while he was slightly less vitriolic, McCulloch continued to ridicule U2 for appealing only to a younger, less-mature fan base and being nothing more than a commercial enterprise. "Bands all say they want to be as big as U2, but weirdly no one ever says they're influenced by them," he told New York magazine. "That's because there's nothing there, really."

He continued, "They've got good tunes, and you can see that it works on 14-year-olds. But I can't see mature people or kids, who are looking for something, something deep -- something that you just know it's art and it's going to change your life -- caring. For U2, it's always flag-waving and 'Yippee.'"

Not that McCulloch's jealous of course. Echo & the Bunnymen begin a UK tour of mid-sized theatres in December, while U2 have recently concluded a tour of the world's biggest sports stadiums.

Hold it right there, Bunnyman! I am in my early fifties and love U2's music. Many people in my age group do. But, one thing we don't do. Is to make fun of another's musical taste. Since, we are a bit more mature.

Ian who?

Echo and who? :crack:

Bunnymen?? :lol:

When was the last I heard them on the radio?? ... Never heard them.
Not when I was living in New York City and not here while I´m living in Europe.
They must be reeeeeally "underground".
Ian McCulloch should keep his mouth shut, unless he has something interesting and/or worthy to say.

Ian who?

Echo and who? :crack:

Bunnymen?? :lol:

When was the last I heard them on the radio?? ... Never heard them.
Not when I was living in New York City and not here while I´m living in Europe.
They must be reeeeeally "underground".
Ian McCulloch should keep his mouth shut, unless he has something interesting and/or worthy to say.

You've never heard or heard of Echo and the Bunnymen? Never?

Wow. What the hell planet have you been living on?

i don't know this Ian character. to be honest, i care about his opinion less than the average Interferencer's opinion.

To be fair to Max_TheHitman, why would anyone (a) under age 35, or (b) living in Portugal (if that's where he is) have heard of Echo & the Bunnymen?

For that matter, why would anyone in the USA know, where their highest charting album was 22 years ago and missed the top 50...

For that matter, why would anyone in the USA know, where their highest charting album was 22 years ago and missed the top 50...

Well sure, if people only got their musical knowlege from mainstream radio and MTV/VH1. But we all know that's not always the case - plenty of people find all sorts of stuff that's not a "hit."

If anyone saw Donnie Darko, then they've heard The Killing Moon.

Back
Top Bottom