"Hidden" Members of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
When U2 play concerts, are there people playing guitars or keyboards 'backstage'? I know they use backing tracks, but how about unseen backing musicians?

In all seriousness is I think they use both. I know the band play to a click which is something that'd only be necessary in the presence of backing tracks, and if you watch the Elevation in Boston DVD, there are some special features in which you see the band walking onto the stage. Underneath the stage there's a guy with keyboards and a load of guitars, although one might argue that he's tuning them rather than playing them.

if there is a thread with this info already out there, i apologize. point me to it.

thanks

All true members of U2 are hidden. In fact, the U2 we know are fake. They just got chosen to perform because they look good. The real U2 are always underneath the stage.

I believe Dallas Schoo might strum the odd guitar and push a pedal here and there. Is it Des Broadberry (is that his name?) who works some keyboards and backing tracks. Also, Im sure I read somewhere drum tech Sam Sullivan (again, is that his name?) would sometimes hit an extra drum on the Lovetown tour. I think that one is in the book U2: a Concert Documentary.

No, somethimes dallas help with the guitar, and some songs like the keyboard in wowy, are pre - recordered.

All true members of U2 are hidden. In fact, the U2 we know are fake. They just got chosen to perform because they look good. The real U2 are always underneath the stage.

Incorrect. The real U2 actually do appear on stage, but they mime. Dallas is actually the one who plays all the instruments under the stage, and never gets credited.

In fact, whenever Bono or Edge are out making appearance at a concert, it's actually Dallas playing, their guitars aren't plugged in at all.

You people are all crazy with your conspiracy theories...

Everyone knows it's just Paul McGuine$$ underneath the stage behind a curtain in front of a control panel pushing buttons control the robots on stage.

Oz_Curtain.JPG

Great picture of PMG by the way.

It's no news that U2 in fact use backing tapes during live shows. And the reason is damn easy: If they didn't they would need extra players on stage and I think they don't want that.

Des Broad... didn't work with them since Popmart.

For the billionth time:

1. U2 use backing tracks on songs like WOWY, Bad, and Mofo.
2. There is also a gentleman (Terry?) under the stage who plays some keys live. The strings for Streets, One, etc, those are fully live.
3. Edge plays keys on songs like NYD, Running, OOTS, and also does some looping thru his effects.
4. Bono's guitar is plugged in, and audible. Bono plays.

for those interested, bono's guitar is especially audible during One on the soundboard recording of the Irving Plaza show from NYC in December, 2000. It's actually quite moving, especially at the beginning of the song.

That version of One is also a good example of an almost uninterrupted pre-programmed backing synth-sequencer throughout the length of the song. I like to think of it as a canvas.

here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ofBR5CoC8

You are probably right about *that* version of one, given that they would have had a pared-down production model in such a small club. I believe it's a bit more of Terry Lawless live, however, on tour.

One is an interesting song live. If you watch carefully especially in the Vertigo tour where Bono spoke for an extended period of time at the start, there were live strings (played by Terry, I would assume) and there is a noticeable shift point where a track comes in (listen to some of the in-ear recordings out there and you'll hear it). This would make logistic sense as there is also a guitar riff during the verses that is definitely either part of the backing track or it is looped by Edge and repeated while he plays something else...the "Edge-y" guys out there might know better how this works/is done, but it is there..

If you want an inarguable example of a continuous synth sequence which runs thru an entire song, With or Without You and Bad are probably the two best to cite. :up:

You are probably right about *that* version of one, given that they would have had a pared-down production model in such a small club. I believe it's a bit more of Terry Lawless live, however, on tour.

One is an interesting song live. If you watch carefully especially in the Vertigo tour where Bono spoke for an extended period of time at the start, there were live strings (played by Terry, I would assume) and there is a noticeable shift point where a track comes in (listen to some of the in-ear recordings out there and you'll hear it). This would make logistic sense as there is also a guitar riff during the verses that is definitely either part of the backing track or it is looped by Edge and repeated while he plays something else...the "Edge-y" guys out there might know better how this works/is done, but it is there..

If you want an inarguable example of a continuous synth sequence which runs thru an entire song, With or Without You and Bad are probably the two best to cite. :up:

Yeah the slight guitar lick is looped, to my knowledge.

Not sure what I think about that irving plaza version.. but the guitar at the start doesn't really go anywhere does it?

I've emailed back and forth with Terry, and he even has a website that talks about his involvement with U2 as a musician.

(One of my pictures is/was on his site)

I'm certain that Terry Raid plays for OOTS, Bono's even said that onstage, but for other songs I don't know.
Most songs have backing tracks.

One recording where you can really hear Bono's guitar well is the (completely awesome) soundboard boot for Zoo TV Dublin (RDS) - the last night of the Zooropa leg. Listen to The Fly and One especially.

Not a synth sequence, I know, but One Tree Hill has the glock or whatever it is running through the entire song too.

YouTube - U2 - Gone (Anaheim 2001)

i'm at a loss to explain this video...its Gone live from Anaheim...the solo at the end seems like its being played by Edge, by judging by the position of his hands on the guitar/strumming theres no way it could be him, Bono has his back turned so its hard to tell if his really him playing.

Back
Top Bottom