Has Bono Ever Publicly Apologized For Anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that tone says more than words ever could...and that actions speak louder than words.

It is irrefutable that the 90's era has not been represented very strongly (to put it mildly) during the 3 tours in the 00's excluding the 360 tour after and around the time the Achtung Baby deluxe / remaster was being released.

That speaks volumes in and of itself.

Such as the proud 5 Pop songs showing on the "apology tour", and about 5 songs (or more) off AB almost regularly, 3 Zooropa songs and 2 Passengers songs being played on 00's tours (and a re-appearance of the Batman song).

If anyone, the 90's fanboys should be thrilled with the showing of 90's material. But the irony never fails.

Such as the proud 5 Pop songs showing on the "apology tour", and about 5 songs (or more) off AB almost regularly, 3 Zooropa songs and 2 Passengers songs being played on 00's tours (and a re-appearance of the Batman song).

If anyone, the 90's fanboys should be thrilled with the showing of 90's material. But the irony never fails.

Why should the 90s fanboys be thrilled? Over the last three tours, the 80s got 2613 performances, the 90s 1573. The 80s got over 1000 more performances than 90s tracks. Looks pretty irrefutable to me.

In 2001 they played songs from the 80s 1028 times. 90s tracks were played 573 times. Also, Dead Man was more of a snippet than full performance.

Their set in 2005, when 113 of 125 of Vertigo shows took place, featured 1025 from the 80s. and 420 songs from the 90s, and 330 of them were from Achtung. Hardly a good showing for the 90s. That's 2.4 times as many performances of songs from the 80s as the 90s.

On 360 they played around 580 from the 90s, and 560 from the 80s so the trend has been broken, but not strongly enough to amount for the mockery directed at the guy who said it's irrefutable that they played more from the 80s than 90s. They played nearly 1200 songs from the 00s, but that makes sense since it's their most recent material.

U2 Album Statistics: 360° Tour | setlist.fm

No, not really. Achtung Baby is the most representative of all the old albums in the last three tours (only in the last two tours, 9 songs were played off it), Zooropa got two songs on the 360 tour, which is same as Atomic Bomb for instance, although the latter one admittedly was more frequent. Pop was fairly represented on the first 2 legs of the Elevation tour, with somewhat scarcer appearances in the 3rd leg. Not to mention Miss Sarajevo being a regular on both 360 and Vertigo and even Your Blue Room had an appearance. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me also had a comeback in 2010/2011.

Even without taking that into consideration, the whole argument as to if the band doesn't play much from this period makes him instantly apologetic about it does not make any sense whatsoever.

Of course, you are completely omitting the Vertigo tour during which, on average, the band played only 3-4 songs (roughly) from the 90's during the set.

Your entire point is based on distorting the complete picture.

Yeah, apparently Redhill has forgotten that the encore on the Vertigo tour was pretty AB rich. And they even played some Pop songs on that tour, which can't be said about 360 sadly.

Yea, they did play some AB songs during that tour and others.

I guess I tend to overlook them to an extent due to the overall degradation of quality in terms of their live performance since the ZOO days.

well, of course they played 2.4 times as many 80s vs 90s, they put out 50% more albums in the 80s vs the 90s.

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that website exists, the fact you looked it up, or the fact I just thought of the above.

They played Discotheque two times (in my mind the best live version there was of that song) in Toronto and Chicago in 2005. They were planning a Pop-themed encore to replace the Achtung Baby one, since they were soundchecking Mofo and even parts of Velvet Dress around that period. Pop Muzik was played over the PA before Discotheque in Toronto.

Anyways, that didn't work out so they decided to do the excruciatingly boring acoustic encores instead with, among others, The First Time and Wild Horses - you guessed it, 90s songs.

There is an earpiece recording of them soundchecking Mofo in Toronto, of which a full version will probably never see the light of day (internet). That's easily one of my U2 holy grails.

Planning to do something is all well and good but does not always equate to it actually happening. I did like those live versions of Disco and wished they would have fully worked out that arrangement because they were really on to something...

And the First Time performances were pathetic.

Why should the 90s fanboys be thrilled? Over the last three tours, the 80s got 2613 performances, the 90s 1573. The 80s got over 1000 more performances than 90s tracks. Looks pretty irrefutable to me.

In 2001 they played songs from the 80s 1028 times. 90s tracks were played 573 times. Also, Dead Man was more of a snippet than full performance.

Their set in 2005, when 113 of 125 of Vertigo shows took place, featured 1025 from the 80s. and 420 songs from the 90s, and 330 of them were from Achtung. Hardly a good showing for the 90s. That's 2.4 times as many performances of songs from the 80s as the 90s.

On 360 they played around 580 from the 90s, and 560 from the 80s so the trend has been broken, but not strongly enough to amount for the mockery directed at the guy who said it's irrefutable that they played more from the 80s than 90s. They played nearly 1200 songs from the 00s, but that makes sense since it's their most recent material.

U2 Album Statistics: 360° Tour | setlist.fm

Thanks for the stats! A lot of people here don't care about a healthy debate and instead just like to sling mud.

Yea, they did play some AB songs during that tour and others.

I guess I tend to overlook them to an extent due to the overall degradation of quality in terms of their live performance since the ZOO days.

really? "The Fly" last summer didn't impress you? You think they played "Zooropa" better in Glasgow '93 than they did in Montreal in '11? What about "Gone"? "One"? "Real Thing"? "Ultraviolet"?

They play better now than they did in 92, 93, or 97.

well, of course they played 2.4 times as many 80s vs 90s, they put out 50% more albums in the 80s vs the 90s.

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that website exists, the fact you looked it up, or the fact I just thought of the above.

Your logic does not account for recency and Bono in particular's stance that there are "no reverse gears on this tank."

That often amounts to lip service when it comes time to please the masses at a live gig.

Check out post #67 in this thread.

Your logic does not account for recency and Bono in particular's stance that there are "no reverse gears on this tank."

That often amounts to lip service when it comes time to please the masses at a live gig.

really? They should play "Numb" instead of "Out Of Control" cause Bono said "no reverse gears on this tank"?

It took five minutes, and since I know interference demands EVIDENCE I provided it for Redhill because I knew he was right, and I didn't like the snarky tone people were using against him, how they were being insulting and wrong at the same time.

Anyway, your snarky point has what to do with what? It's irrelevant.

Thanks for the stats! A lot of people here don't care about a healthy debate and instead just like to sling mud.

You're welcome. A lot of people here, when confronted with reality, don't really know what to do with it. It's very interesting to see how far people will go in their quest to avoid acknowledging the veracity of facts.

It took five minutes, and since I know interference demands EVIDENCE I provided it for Redhill because I knew he was right, and I didn't like the snarky tone people were using against him, how they were being insulting and wrong at the same time.

Anyway, your snarky point has what to do with what? It's irrelevant.

how were they wrong? U2 made more music in the 80s than they did in the 90s. As a result they play more 80s than 90s tunes. Seems pretty simple.

And wasn't redhill's original question already answered? Bono has said "i'm sorry" in public 2 times: Chris Martin and cigs.

really? "The Fly" last summer didn't impress you? You think they played "Zooropa" better in Glasgow '93 than they did in Montreal in '11? What about "Gone"? "One"? "Real Thing"? "Ultraviolet"?

They play better now than they did in 92, 93, or 97.

Man, you really like pulling out isolated examples to distort a complete picture.

While the band has improved perhaps live, overall, the best versions live of a song have historically been (with some exceptions) played during the tour promoting the album those songs were from.

Generally speaking, the Achtung songs were played A LOT better during the Zoo tour then during any tour since.

The fact that you cite "One" as an example shoots your credibility in and of itself. Zooropa is also a poor example because the band clearly did not rehearse that song enough or play it enough times during the 90's to really give it a chance to "work."

Of course you don't mention MW at all because that song was given a complete lobotomy for the 360 tour (especially Larry's dumbed down drumbeat.)

UV, live during the 360 tour, mostly served to show how much better a lot of their 90's material was than their 2000's output. Although it was often played with gusto and was exciting, it was a little sad that they could not rely on a song from NLOTH to start an encore off right.

Finally, yes, "Gone" was played a lot more convincingly during Popmart although it was cool that they were still doing it on the Elevation tour. Edge kicking his guitar should tell you how well he thought it was going over though...

Not necessarily, but you would think that, if this were the case, the 90's would be more heavily represented OVERALL than the older material.

Well, if "there are no reverse gears" were literally true, you'd get zip from any record other than the latest. Where's the fun in that?

how were they wrong? U2 made more music in the 80s than they did in the 90s. As a result they play more 80s than 90s tunes. Seems pretty simple.

And wasn't redhill's original question already answered? Bono has said "i'm sorry" in public 2 times: Chris Martin and cigs.

Because you are not very adept at looking at the complete picture and taking into account the recency of material as a critical variable.

And, no, that is not SOLE reason more 80's songs were played. You are also ignoring (amongst other things) the fact that U2 care a lot about pleasing the casual "fan" or even just your average concert-goer who really could give a shirt about U2 for the most part.

Well, if "there are no reverse gears" were literally true, you'd get zip from any record other than the latest. Where's the fun in that?

I used this as an example to make a point. If we took everything little thing Bono said literally then the Edge would have 3rd degree burns covering his entire body.

Oh, you mean now that a point that was ridiculed has been legitimized with some facts you want to stop talking about it?

They were wrong - and I think you may be have been one of them - because they said, and I paraphrase, that anyone who thinks U2 didn't vastly favour the 80s over the 90s (6 albums vs 4, btw, and if you don't count OST 1 then they played much less from the 90s) is a moron 90s fanboy when in fact U2 played 2.4 times more songs from the 80s. That's a resounding victory for the age of Mullet.

It's a fact that U2 played much more from the 90s than 80s, for whatever reason, and I don't recall saying anything about reasons because I don't care to engage about speculation (though I think the reason has nil to do with 6 vs 4 albums and much to do with HITS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom