Has Bono actually ever even once "endorsed" Monsanto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Slow Loris

War Child
The reason I ask is because it seems to be written all over the internet (including Facebook) as almost common knowledge, yet I don't ever recall hearing him even ONCE speak about Monsanto, let alone endorsing them. Can someone please shed some light on whether Bono has ever publicly (or privately) "endorsed" Monsanto??

The reason this came up is because I posted this Bono quote on my Facebook:

“My heroes are the ones who survived doing it wrong, who made mistakes, but recovered from them.” One of my friends replied, "Why, has he stopped endorsing Monsanto?" I replied by saying, "I don't ever recall Bono endorsing Monsanto. Africa is a complex problem, and many players are involved."

One of the players is of course Monsanto, but that does not mean that Bono has ever "endorsed" them, does it? I would really appreciate someone letting me know if he has or not. Thanks in advance :)

Monsanto is such a large and complex company. They do many things and have their feet in just about every door they possibly can. The fact that Bono has come across them at some point is unavoidable. It is possible to do business with Monsanto and not be involved with poisoning children's food, for example. Don't get me wrong, Monsanto is an evil corporation, but aren't they all? Monsanto is to the food industry what companies like BP are to the fuel industry.

I'm sure sending aid money to Africa is a major write-off for them. I work in the agriculture industry, so I have a pretty good knowledge of Monsanto, good and bad (mostly bad). The public as a whole has so many misconceptions about Monsanto and Agriculture in general that it's disgusting, and I'm constantly having to defend myself to complete strangers. I don't really want to get into a debate on here, I just think people hear the word Agriculture or Monsanto and the hairs on their neck stand up.

No he did not. It's all a bullshit blown up thing with the One campaign. Bono has nothing to do with it. There's a thread about it somewhere in EYKIW.

If people started to look at Bono as more a Robin Hood type character than 'Saint Bono', I think some of his dealings with people like Bush and this tenuous-at-best connection to Monsanto would be put in proper perspective.

But no, he never endorsed Monsanto. He's probably eaten some GMO potatoes in his stew at some point, tho.

He's endorsed George Bush and Focus on the Family. But Monsanto? Not that I'm aware of.

I understand he loves their low-carb crispy wheat bites, however.

If people started to look at Bono as more a Robin Hood type character than 'Saint Bono', I think some of his dealings with people like Bush and this tenuous-at-best connection to Monsanto would be put in proper perspective.

That's as good a rationalisation as any I guess.

But no, he never endorsed Monsanto. He's probably eaten some GMO potatoes in his stew at some point, tho.
Wow, I think you nailed much of what Bono is about right there. He is more a Robin Hood type character. Here is a video of George Stroumboulopoulos (of Much Music) interviewing Bono in a back seat of a Limo in 2003. The "Robin Hood" Bono is in full view, here, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oRm_5p6-dr0

It's the best I could come up with.

Oh, and he's a tax dodger too:

Duped By Bono Imposter Journalist Asks About Tax-Dodging Hypocrisy - Video

I never saw this before :) The Bono imposter strikes again....and another thing is that Bono would never be so blunt and too the point, he wouldn't let this clown walk all over him.

Some people get so heated over things that should not make any difference to them anyway.

How does U2 not paying all their taxes in Ireland affect the general population anyway, it doesn't.

I still don't see what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom