Bono - " best 3 weeks in the studio since 1979"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be heartened if U2 had expressed their more leftwing sentiments of the past, but it's of note that the band hasn't shown any support for the Occupy movement; '80s U2 would have.
Excellent point. Be careful, though -- I made a comment on here once, a couple of years ago, I think -- that U2 had the whiff of the right-wing about them, and I was savagely attacked (as usual). You may be on dangerous ground with the conservative majority here.

The 79 sessions were probably fresh and exciting. So maybe he's just thinking about it in those terms. :shrug:

This. They definitely had the workings of at least Stories for Boys, Out of Control, 11 Oclock Tick Tock and Twilight. Possibly even more tracks from Boy, or at least their beginnings.

Leading up to a first album with a ton of ideas and the ability to freely play and write on the fly, with young imaginations? Incredibly exciting time for a band!

The Panther said:
Excellent point. Be careful, though -- I made a comment on here once, a couple of years ago, I think -- that U2 had the whiff of the right-wing about them, and I was savagely attacked (as usual). You may be on dangerous ground with the conservative majority here.

Holy shit, have you ever entered Free Your Mind?

The Panther said:

Yes... db9 & Indy make up quite the majority

My thoughts as well, although "Pride" is a great piece of pop music, not the mindless boredom of "Vertigo" or "Get On Your Boots". U2 never used to dumb down their pop songs; now, it's to be expected.

I would be heartened if U2 had expressed their more leftwing sentiments of the past, but it's of note that the band hasn't shown any support for the Occupy movement; '80s U2 would have. 2000s U2 is too intertwined with corrupt folks like Bill Clinton who caused the economic crisis by deregulating things so much and pushing the Washington Consensus of cutting social programs and appeasing scum-bag investors (who often don't know anything and slyly bet against markets for more profit) on the rest of the world, especially poorer countries.

This isn't even critical enough of Obama and his Clintonian administration, but it's pretty good:
Money, Power and Wall Street | FRONTLINE | PBS

I don't even know where to begin... thanks for the laughs guys.

I would be heartened if U2 had expressed their more leftwing sentiments of the past, but it's of note that the band hasn't shown any support for the Occupy movement; '80s U2 would have. 2000s U2 is too intertwined with corrupt folks like Bill Clinton who caused the economic crisis by deregulating things so much and pushing the Washington Consensus of cutting social programs and appeasing scum-bag investors (who often don't know anything and slyly bet against markets for more profit) on the rest of the world, especially poorer countries.

This is not the forum for any political rants. Let's just say that your views on Clinton are noted but many feel that the 8 years of Bush ignoring the obvious (Enron?? Banking? Housing??) led to the economic crisis far more than any deregulation by Clinton. Furthermore, isn't it always the Republicans that WANT deregulation (get government OUT)?

Also, I don't agree with your take on U2 and the Occupy movement. Not all Republicans agree with the Tea Party movement. Likewise, many liberals feel absolutely nothing was accomplished by the Occupy movement. Both are extremes. Usually people lean toward one side or the other, but not to the extreme. U2 has always struck me as not being extreme. Even in the early days, they refused to be extreme in their political views (stating some obvious rants here and there, but nothing that was horribly unique).

Admittedly, Bono has now removed himself from any political affiliation to help his Third World causes. But those causes HAVE accomplished something. People ARE benefiting from the programs he has helped start. So perhaps there's something to his strategy.

Getting back on topic - I don't mind U2 working for the "perfect pop song". If they create another masterpiece like "Pride", WOWY, "Desire", MW, BD or "Vertigo" then I'm all for it. Those are all fantastic songs. But what made those songs hits was their accessibility both musically and lyrically. Sometimes U2 forgets one or the other. With the "perfect pop song" in place, U2 can work on the deeper material for the album, filling it with some of the brilliance they showcased on NLOTH.

Muldfeld said:
I would be heartened if U2 had expressed their more leftwing sentiments of the past, but it's of note that the band hasn't shown any support for the Occupy movement; '80s U2 would have.

After Joshua Tree U2 would be considered part of the 1%. Also joining with one political party (not of their own country) would ostracize a large group of fans. Not everyone listens to U2 for politics. Many of their lyrics are vague enough to allow for multiple interpretations.

This is not the forum for any political rants. Let's just say that your views on Clinton are noted but many feel that the 8 years of Bush ignoring the obvious (Enron?? Banking? Housing??) led to the economic crisis far more than any deregulation by Clinton. Furthermore, isn't it always the Republicans that WANT deregulation (get government OUT)?

Also, I don't agree with your take on U2 and the Occupy movement. Not all Republicans agree with the Tea Party movement. Likewise, many liberals feel absolutely nothing was accomplished by the Occupy movement. Both are extremes. Usually people lean toward one side or the other, but not to the extreme. U2 has always struck me as not being extreme. Even in the early days, they refused to be extreme in their political views (stating some obvious rants here and there, but nothing that was horribly unique).

Admittedly, Bono has now removed himself from any political affiliation to help his Third World causes. But those causes HAVE accomplished something. People ARE benefiting from the programs he has helped start. So perhaps there's something to his strategy.

Getting back on topic - I don't mind U2 working for the "perfect pop song". If they create another masterpiece like "Pride", WOWY, "Desire", MW, BD or "Vertigo" then I'm all for it. Those are all fantastic songs. But what made those songs hits was their accessibility both musically and lyrically. Sometimes U2 forgets one or the other. With the "perfect pop song" in place, U2 can work on the deeper material for the album, filling it with some of the brilliance they showcased on NLOTH.

Word for word agree, as I do 99.99% of the time w/you!

Haven't been posting lately, but always great reading your posts!

In the end, I'd rather have Bono talking about "the best three weeks" or "punk rock from Venus" instead of going "Yeah, I guess the stuff we're working on is just okay." Really, what else can you say to those questions? Doesn't mean we have to listen to them though! :D

i think the only people who might believe that this place is conservative are these guys

anarchists1.jpg

to them irvine's like romney.

What does being an anarchist entail, anyways?

You refuse to use the banking system? Stop for old ladies at crosswalks? You routinely run red lights just because?

They all look like a bunch of fucking posers.

In the end, I'd rather have Bono talking about "the best three weeks" or "punk rock from Venus" instead of going "Yeah, I guess the stuff we're working on is just okay." Really, what else can you say to those questions? Doesn't mean we have to listen to them though! :D

Sort of like when my boss says, "Working hard?" I say, "Absolutely!" and not "Nope, hardly working" as I surf Interference.

I have no problem believing most U2 albums are mostly written within a couple of weeks
of course they can still tinker about on the last 15% for 18 months ...

@U2 had a funny thought about the "best 3 weeks since 1979" quote.

Something along the lines of: Haven't they said they barely knew how to play their instruments back then? I don't know if "best since 1979" is saying much.

:lol:

I believe ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both delivered to the label on or around the beginning of July. And they are creatures of habit. So if they are going to hit a fall 2012 release, they'd probably need to be done in the next 4-6 weeks. Not that I am holding my breath.

I just don't see what good another...year in the studio is going to do them.
Either these songs are good enough or they aren't.
God knows they have had enough material to pull from.

I think if we have to wait until 2013, it can only be a bad thing.

ETA -
I'm just saying - an idea is either good or it isn't. Trying to hammer it into the "perfect pop song" or whatever, sounds like a horrible idea. You can only contrive so much. Perfect pop songs should arrive, pretty much, as is. I'm not saying they didn't have to work long and hard on those kinds of songs in the past. But mostly, the hook is either there or it isn't. Beautiful Day is far superior to Always but Native Son isn't far inferior to Vertigo. Subjective, but I think most would agree.

So the line is tough to gauge. I just think they need to finally learn that long and labored studio sessions don't do them any good. The Joshua Tree came together (all those great songs, even the B0sides) in about six months. Zooropa took about 6 weeks. Now look at what years and years of toiling on North Star ended up being. Or other songs on HTDAAB, which took a century to complete. They never could get OOTS right (according to U2 themselves). I mean, They should have just abandoned North Star and left OOTS alone at some point.

This more than anything else, is THE major problem with U2 since Zooropa. Lack of confidence and inability to come to a consensus in the studio. If Bono means by "best 3 weeks since 1979" that there is little arguing going on and things are coming together, then that is awesome. Let's not get caught up in the specifics of it.

:up:

I just don't see what good another...year in the studio is going to do them.
Either these songs are good enough or they aren't.
God knows they have had enough material to pull from.

I think if we have to wait until 2013, it can only be a bad thing.

Agreed. If it's finished, release it; don't overcook it.

Back
Top Bottom