Best Album of the Decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What albums are gonna be remembered as some of the better albums of the noughties?They need to have both SOME commercial and a LOT of critical acclaim.

American Idiot - Green Day

Funeral - Arcade Fire (Hasn't really blown my mind, and nor has it ever had the chance to blow the minds of the masses, but it's critical acclaim is possibly above all other albums this decade)

A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay

Hot Fuss - Killers

Futuresexxx/Lovesounds - JT

Late Registration - Kanye West

In Rainbows - Radiohead (Won't be forgotten in a hurry, and had more commercial crossover than Kid A)

Maybe once a TV On The Radio or a Fleet Foxes find a mainstream-penetrating hit, their albums from '08 might warrant consideration.

I feel Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights has ben the best album of the decade, yet it's commercial crossover was weak and a lot critical revisionism is probably gonna dismiss the album as "of it's time" and a product of indie-hype, yet will be remembered fondly as a welcome update of what Joy Division were all about.

If you pick a Killers album they still havent topped Hot Fuss in terms of making some great pop tunes. Mr Brightside definitely one of the best singles of the naughties. Day And Age has one great song in Dustland Fairytale but there is simply too much filler in that album - which is a shame. :sad:

I LOVE Hot Fuss. I think it is one of the very best debut albums I've ever heard. Smile Like You Mean It...On Top...Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine...these are great GREAT pop songs!

And yes, I would call NLOTH the best album of the decade.

I would say these 2 will be very high towards being the best

U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

In my opinion No Line On The Horizon wont even be in the top 25 of the decade. It has some good songs, One great tune in Moment Of Surrender but too many fillers and no big hits. In saying that, many critics will like it and It will probably win the grammy for Album of the year.

Ever since Jethro Toll beat out Metallica the Grammy's have been a big dud.

I LOVE Hot Fuss. I think it is one of the very best debut albums I've ever heard. Smile Like You Mean It...On Top...Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine...these are great GREAT pop songs!

And yes, I would call NLOTH the best album of the decade.

The opening five on Hot Fuss are essential listening. Then On Top and Natalie and it is an amazing piece of work from an abstract sound. Pop, 80's Pop, Alternate, Rock, who knows. :wink:

What albums are gonna be remembered as some of the better albums of the noughties?They need to have both SOME commercial and a LOT of critical acclaim.

American Idiot - Green Day

Funeral - Arcade Fire (Hasn't really blown my mind, and nor has it ever had the chance to blow the minds of the masses, but it's critical acclaim is possibly above all other albums this decade)

A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay

Hot Fuss - Killers

Futuresexxx/Lovesounds - JT

Late Registration - Kanye West

In Rainbows - Radiohead (Won't be forgotten in a hurry, and had more commercial crossover than Kid A)

Maybe once a TV On The Radio or a Fleet Foxes find a mainstream-penetrating hit, their albums from '08 might warrant consideration.

I feel Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights has ben the best album of the decade, yet it's commercial crossover was weak and a lot critical revisionism is probably gonna dismiss the album as "of it's time" and a product of indie-hype, yet will be remembered fondly as a welcome update of what Joy Division were all about.

Although I'm not a fan. Perhaps

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (Critical Acclaim and 20 million sales worldwide)

Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane (Acclaim and 10 millions sales)

OK, I'll post some of my favorites (in alphabetical order)

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Blur - Think Tank
BT - This Binary Universe
Fugazi - The Argument
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antannas To Heaven
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Kate Bush - Aerial
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Massive Attack - 100th Window
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
The National - Boxer
NIN - Year Zero
NIN - Ghosts
Orbital - Blue Album
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Peter Gabriel - Up
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Portishead - Third
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Sigur Ros - Takk
Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
Tool - Lateralus
Tool - 10,000 Days
TV On The Radio - Dear Science
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun

Not sre about NLOTH yet.

All That You Can't Leave Behind definatley, impossible to know yet if No Line will be memorable.

But I think ATYCLB will be seriously competing with In Rainbows, Hot Fuss and A Rush Of Blood to the Head for the title of best album of the decade, keeping in mind that this sort of title is usually decided by the readership of Rolling Stone. So "Album with the biggest sales figues of the decade" is probably a more apt title.

Killers and Coldplay may be respected by Rolling Stone, but that magazine lost its credability with music fans long ago. It's like the magazine that would go along with the Grammys. Any magazine that rates Viva La Vida as one of the best albums of the year is completely ridiculous. They obviously care more about reporting what's popular and profitable than what's actually good.

NLOTH IS BY FAR THE BEST ALBUM OF THE 00's. IN FACT I THINK ITS THE BEST ALBUM U2 HAVE EVER DONE. I CANT STOP LISTENING TO IT. YES YES YES YES YES, IM GONNA GO CRAZY TONIGHT.

You've already gone crazy by the looks of it.

:wink:

Killers and Coldplay may be respected by Rolling Stone, but that magazine lost its credability with music fans long ago. It's like the magazine that would go along with the Grammys. Any magazine that rates Viva La Vida as one of the best albums of the year is completely ridiculous. They obviously care more about reporting what's popular and profitable than what's actually good.

Uhhh. Rolling Stone gave Viva La Vida 3.5 stars. Do you really think that makes it lose it's credibility? Because Q, Entertainment Weekly, Spin, Paste, All Music Guide, Hot Press, NME, etc. ALL rated Coldplay higher then Rolling Stone. So...does that mean none of them have "credibility"?

I personally think VLV was one of the best albums of the year and A LOT of people agree with that. Just because they are popular doesn't mean they are bad. That same old argument gets used against U2 a million times every day.

UGH! THEY ARE SO MAINSTREAM! IF THE GRAMMYS LIKE THEM THEY MUST BE CRAP! PITCHFORK SAID THEY WEREN'T ANY GOOD!

And if Rolling Stone lost the respect of music fans so long ago, why is it still the number one music magazine in the country with 1.4 million subscriptions?? :shrug:

Well here are some of my favorites of the 2000's...

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
U2 -All That You Can't Leave Behind
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Eno & Byrne - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Tom Petty - Highway Companion
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Fireman - Electric Arguments
Paul McCartney - Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

I'd like to take this opportunity to add the following to my list...

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Lindsey Buckingham - Gift of Screws

But again...I don't know to define "greatest". I know what "favorite" means though :wink:

Glad someone finally mentioned Sigur Ros. Their album () a long crescendo, waving goodbye to the old.

Well besides ATYCLB and NLOTH,
U2 - The Joshua Tree Deluxe edition

nothing...
then,
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
RHCP - By the way
Muse - Absolution
Greenday - American Idiot
All Sam Roberts albums

1. U2 - No Line on the Horizon
2. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR

Quote yourself is kinda stupid but no love for XTRMNTR? It's the one of the few things that comes close to NLOTH in levels of perfection imo.

Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane

Fair choices you made except for this one... given the choice between listening to a Maroon 5 album and being hung by my scrotum from a telephone pole for 24 hours, I would have to think hard and I'd probably take the latter.

Nice one with Sam Roberts, though!

Who cares if they made one of the best albums of the decade. the fact that they just had one of the best decades of any band ever and the fact that this is their decade is something nobody will surpass in any decade.

Being as objective as I can be, I'll have to hand it to A Rush of Blood To The Head before NLOTH. I personally perfer NLOTH and would put it #1. But realistically, to me it would be #2 with Rush #1.

1. AROBTTH
2. NLOTH
3. Chinese Democracy (what can I say, worth the wait).
4. Sams Town (The Killers out-Springsteen Springsteen).
5. HTDAAB (Never seen such a poor album with so many great songs)
6. Black Holes And Revelations
7. X & Y (vastly underrated and will have more legs than VLV)
8. Accelerate
9. Heathen Chemistry (Noel's "Pop")
10. Angels And Airwaves (I never liked Blink, so I don't have a problem with this band)
11. Narrow Stairs (doesn't have the hits of other DCFC albums, but over all better)
12. Final Straw (can't hate it because it's overplayed)
13. Silver Lining (Long overdue return of Soul Asylum)
14. The Rising (Bruce's been overrated in the 00's)
15. ATYCLB (If only the back 8 tracks were as strong as the front 4)
16. VLV (if the title track hadn't existed, this would've been an epic flop)
17. Hot Fuss (the truly innovative tracks are surrounded by too much filler)
18. Mono (move along, you've never heard of this)

I wish I could do two more. It's been a crap decade musically. For rock and roll at least.

In order

Dig Out Your Soul - Oasis
NLOTH - U2
Kasabian - Empire
Dont Believe the Truth - Oasis
HTDAAB - U2
ATYCLB- U2
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants - Oasis
Know Your Enemy - Manic Street Preachers
The Coral - The Coral
Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head

7. X & Y (vastly underrated and will have more legs than VLV)

Dunno mate, it hasn't shown much legs after three and a half years. It's had a leg amputated if anything. Coldplay's weakest album for sure. Some top songs on it though.

A few of my favorites this decade...

Arcade Fire - Funeral/ Neon Bible
Radiohead - Kid A/ In Rainbows
Matthew Good - Avalanche
U2 - ATYCLB/ NLOTH
Fleet Foxes - s/t
Shugo Tokumaru - Exit
Kanye West - Late Registration
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

Some good stuff there... :drool:

Some favorites of mine (in alphabetical order):

Bunbury & Vegas - El Tiempo De Las Cerezas
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Dream Theater - Live Scenes From New York
Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
Edison Glass - A Burn Or A Shiver
The Killers - Sam's Town
Living Sacrifice - The Hammering Process
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Nacho Vegas - Canciones Inexplicables
Nacho Vegas & Xel Pereda - Lucas 15
Neal Morse - One
Project 86 - Truthless Heroes
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Spock's Beard - Snow
Thrice - The Alchemy Index, Vols. I-IV
Thrice - Vheissu
Tool - Lateralus
Transatlantic - Live in Europe

hey, now that I think about it, the 00's weren't so bad....

I'm sure NLOTH will be somewhere on my Top 10 of the '00s list when I get around to making one. I don't know if it will be No. 1, though.

Other contenders include:

R.E.M. - Accelerate
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
The White Stripes - Elephant
Warren Zevon - The Wind
Antony and the Johnsons - I'm A Bird Now
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

This will sound mean, but come on! You guys need to listen to some more music. This album is awesome, but to say it's one of the best albums of the decade so soon is completely ridiculous. All of the albums I've seen listed here are from top 40 bands that I thought were awesome when I was 15 years old. No wonder everyone here thinks all popular music sucks these days, it looks like all any of you ever listen to is very mainstream MTV rock. When The Killers and Coldplay are the best artists of the new mellinnium we're in pretty dire straights.

There are so many completely incredible albums that have come out in the past 9 years. NLOTH is definitely good, but to say it's an incredible music achievement is taking it a little far.

So Agreed-- right on.. and also NOBODY ever talks about how for the first time in the history of Rock (rock is now uncool!) It's sad-- (The killers and coldplay are NOT the best artists of the new mellinium (Kanye West or some douch bag like that is stealing the show)... Mom and dad listen to U2 and bring their 8 year olds to the show.. hmmmm..

no way

Muse has already 3 albums that are better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB!

NLOTH is a contestant though....

It's almost like 'Hey im more artsy than you-- if it's excepted by the mainstream its no good, look at me im deep and thoughtful I like what others don't"-- Just like radiohead fans who refuse to like Green plastic trees and their big hits and insist atht the art noir type mucis is the best...

IMO- those people are more sheep-like the the mainstream.

80's The J:love:shua Tree

90's Achtung Baby

00's ATYCLB

Is there any other music ? I have tried to listen to other bands & I might be able to find two songs that are good from each although I do really like old INXS w/ Hutchence not the new guy

IMHO

Back
Top Bottom