ZOO TV is beautiful...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
So I'm the last U2 fan who really liked ZOO TV, I thought it was just too much...

But after watching the live from Sydney DVD, I realize that ZOO TV was probably the best show / tour U2 has ever done. It seems that a theme is a great part in the show...

I actually got goosebumps from listening to the beginning of Zoo Station! :ohmy:

And then watching the first few songs was really something, FLY was incredible, One was beautiful, and Until The End Of The World was explosive...

So I watched a few more clips, and when you think about it, ZOO TV is really just one big party. U2 reintroducing themselves to the world, and changing things around -- but not forgetting about themselves.

I particularly like "Where The Streets Have No Name" it's probably the BEST performance I've seen in a while, it makes every other performance seem like puke. Plus Bono standing on the edge of the stage singing "It's all I can do..." tops it off.

The encore is pretty awesome, we get to see songs that will never be performed again. MacPhisto was a great creation, and Bono did a splendid job at acting.

In reality, ZOO TV is the best tour they've ever done, though cheesy at times, it makes everything else just look like crap. POPMart can't compare... this is THE stadium show of their career.

And what's with that stage? It looks like a million scaffolds!

You know for all these years I thought the Sydney video is the best, but then came U2 Go Home - Live at Slane castle DVD and it blew me away.

I can't say which one is better, but this is U2 at its best. Slane DVD proves that age doesn't matter. I've grown up with the band. When ZooTV Sydney was released in 1994 I was 20/21 years old - now I'm adult man and I really love Kite on Slane DVD and stuff like that. It's really amazing stuff.

It's good to see that it doesn't matter how old you are. You can still do amazing stuff and everything is possible.

Ditto and double ditto , I totally agree with YOU ,theU2 fly

and slane comes second.

Popmart was a shocker.. as I was only 7 rows from the front. maybe i will appreciate it more when its realed on Dvd.

Zoo TV represents everything a Rock show could and should be.

I think Popmart will look the best on DVD but performance wise i prefer slane over ZOO TV.

ZOO TV = best stadium tour

A great thread theU2fly!!!!
If only you could have been at a Zootv gig for real, because believe me it was a 100 times better in the flesh, the best concert U2 or anybody has ever done. I love the show from Sydney and its the best DVD U2 have released,(I think Slane is the worst) but nothing can beat ZooTv mate.

Agree with pretty much everyone here...

ZooTV Sydeny - a great representation of the best stadium Tour. I wish they had removed all the words on the screen during The Fly I just find it annoying.

Elevation Slane - Best performances by far, from Kite to All I Want Is You, to Out Of Control, that's the show of shows musically and emotionally. It's just too bad it's built on the back of a collection of weaker ATYCLB songs.

Popmart Mexico - Will be the prettiest of the DVD's

To continue rating them:

Vertigo Chicago - missed opportunity. Not Bono's best night vocally. Too stripped down in the encore to be exciting. Zoo Station was a mess. Should have been much more use of the light curtains. Hate the eyeblink camera transitions.

Elevation Boston - Good, not great. Too gospel-y, not enough Rock and Roll. Why you would scroll the credits through Walk On is beyond me.

Rattle And Hum - Great performances, but not enough of them. Give me One Tree Hill, Gloria, I Will Follow and The Unforgettable Fire. Don't care about Larry at Graceland. A lot of times I find myself annoyed by the camera's angle too. They wanted to give you a feeling of being onstage with the band a lot of times, so the shots were from the side on the stage. But I'd rather see the band from the front. Our only opportunity to see Streets played live as a new song, and for such a high energy tune, it's dark and we see the sides of the bands' heads.

Under A Blood Red Sky - Lots of engergy, cool setting, Bono iconic, but Edge kind of blows it, lots of miscues. Allso with all the looking up shots at the band, it's hard to get a perspective on Red Rocks itself; and it would've been cool to see how the band fit in with it's background, instead of showing either the band or the background. And what's with all the brown lines on the camera lense?

beau99 said:

Wasn't that the whole point?

No, I don't mean the messages flashing on the screens on stage, I thought that was cool. I mean the messages superimposed over the band on my TV screen. I find that annoying.

ZOO TV FOREVER!!!!

It was my first show...I was 8 years old on my brothers shoulders..tenth row at the Pontiac Silverdome...

I've never been the same since...

Zooropa Album = a long way down my favourite lists, rarely getting a play.

BUT

ZooTV TOUR = a remarkable experience to be there. Great production.

DADDY'S GONNA PAAAAAAYYY! *BOOOM*

Such a shame the Zooropa songs didn't get to see that many shows. You just can't beat the Crashed Car/Lemon combo.

macfesto said:
ZOO TV FOREVER!!!!

It was my first show...I was 8 years old on my brothers shoulders..tenth row at the Pontiac Silverdome...

I've never been the same since...

How I envy you!! I was 7... I wish I had an older brother to take me to that show... I didn't know U2 back then but I'm sure I would love it...

Anyway I love everything I've seen of this tour... Amazing, original, beautiful, unique... I wish I was there:sad:

It's funny because I try to objectively step back once in a while and assure myself that I'm not just "stuck in 1993" when I start raving about the brilliance of ZooTV.

But I really do think this is one of the best tours ever.

And as far as Bono's acting...I prefer that to the "real" Bono. Give me the Fly, or Mirrorball Man, or MacPhisto any day. Bono has a gift for acting on stage and the personas should not have ended with ZooTV.

But hey, at least we now have the DVD to preserve U2 at the peak of their career...musically, visually, etc.

Long live ZooTV.

COBL_04 said:
If I had three wishes, seeing Zoo TV would be the first wish.

:up: Same. I never really saw the appeal of tv screens and trabants at a u2 concert, but seeing it in all its glory proved to me how much of an experience that would have been. Damn the fact that I was only 2 years old at the time!

Back
Top Bottom