Yahweh vs. Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahweh or Grace?

• Yahweh

Votes: 85 66.4%
  • Grace

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I like both / Can't decide

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Don't care for either of those

Votes: 11 8.6%

• Total voters
Grace. I love the song, really underrated on this forum IMO. Way too many people are too hung up on the "It's the name of a Girl" part. I've always liked when U2 have closed their albums with Slow, meditative pieces.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
Grace. I love the song, really underrated on this forum IMO. Way too many people are too hung up on the "It's the name of a Girl" part. I've always liked when U2 have closed their albums with Slow, meditative pieces.

It would have made a great instrumental...:drool:

Yahweh. Mostly because I really dislike Grace.

At first I hated Yahweh, but it's grown on me. I still think most of the lyrics suck, and I can't jump on board with the spiritual theme, but I sort of like the sound of it. Grace is just bland and boring.

Maybe, possibly, all things considered, the two worst songs of U2's career. Again, that's 'all things considered' for those of you who only like to read what you want. Considering they were 23 and pretty crap on their instruments when they made Red Light, and considering other b-sides and alternates weren't given a space on an album, much less one being the closer for a very succesfull album. The other a shit song named after the Judeo-Christian creator of the universe, it's just.....well, I think they may be the two worst.

Grace to close one album.
Yahweh to close another.

Hardly your typical mainstream, middle of the road content in both songs, nor something you'll hear on a majority of rock band's albums.

The bass is great on both songs.

WalkOn21 said:
Wow, slow down. Yahweh is not a bad song, but your favourite from the entire catalogue? :ohmy:

Hahaha!

LemonMelon said:
It would have made a great instrumental...:drool:

Now that's not a bad idea, maybe with some guitar over it instead of the vocal!

Yahweh for me definitely, I love the sound of it and it's chock full of nostalgia for me! The only problem I have with it is the way Bono sings 'Click-Clacking down some dead end street' and doesn't hit the last note at all! Why did they not re-record this?! He hits it in the 'Alternate' version yet they left the second one alone! :ohmy:

Yahweh is your #1 favorite U2 song?
Wow, slow down. Yahweh is not a bad song, but your favourite from the entire catalogue?

Yes, it's true. The song came out in a phase of my life that it made so much sense and I feel that the atmosphere created by the instrumental (mainly post 2nd chorus) is amazing. I still feel this way. If someone comes and tell me that The Playboy Mansion or Somedays Are Better Than Others is his favourite song, I will take it naturally. I truly believe that's one of the most underated songs.

I am with Ax on this one. Both are terribly underrated. I am a ATYCLB basher mostly and I really enjoy Grace. Yahweh is absolutely georgious in an unconventional way. So, both are great but I would say Yahweh is the better song. Grace may be the better closer though, with it's beautiful Eno-esque synth outro and slow fade. Feels very complete at the end of the album.

I get the feeling that people who don't like "Grace" and think the lyrics are cheesy don't understand the meaning of the song. "Grace" is not about a person! Bono is poetically giving the attribute of "grace" human charictaristics. "When she goes to work you can hear the strings..." is not talking about some girl going to her job. "She's got the time to talk", once again "she" means the attribute of graciousness. "What once was hurt, what once was friction, what left a mark, no longer stings, because grace makes beauty out of ugly things" is one of the most poetic and profound lyrics Bono has ever written. I just think people are hearing this song all wrong. If I thought this song was just about some person named Grace, then I would not like it much either. But as I understand it, the song "Grace" is a beautiful and powerful statement.

Last edited:
I've never really liked Grace very much. I find that the music sounds a bit forced. Like they had this melody left over and sort of quickly threw it together with the words. I do like the melody..

Yahweh by no means is one of my favourites... apart from the acoustic version, which I adore ... but I'd have to pick that ahead of Grace.

Hoodlem said:
I am with Ax on this one. Both are terribly underrated. I am a ATYCLB basher mostly and I really enjoy Grace. Yahweh is absolutely georgious in an unconventional way. So, both are great but I would say Yahweh is the better song. Grace may be the better closer though, with it's beautiful Eno-esque synth outro and slow fade. Feels very complete at the end of the album.

I get the feeling that people who don't like "Grace" and think the lyrics are cheesy don't understand the meaning of the song. "Grace" is not about a person! Bono is poetically giving the attribute of "grace" human charictaristics. "When she goes to work you can hear the strings..." is not talking about some girl going to her job. "She's got the time to talk", once again "she" means the attribute of graciousness. "What once was hurt, what once was friction, what left a mark, no longer stings, because grace makes beauty out of ugly things" is one of the most poetic and profound lyrics Bono has ever written. I just think people are hearing this song all wrong. If I thought this song was just about some person named Grace, then I would not like it much either. But as I understand it, the song "Grace" is a beautiful and powerful statement.

Said.:D

Bonochick said:
"Grace" is one of my least favorite U2 songs...although it has grown on me quite a bit. "Yahweh" by a mile.

Couldn't agree with that more. :up:

As for those who say Grace, is a terrible closer, 1. its not that bad, just the intro is too long and the song in itself is quite boring but 2. I got The Ground Beneath Her Feet as a closer.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I love that song.

Is this really how a song dedicated to the so-called Yahweh should sound? Sounds more like a Preperation-H jingle.

Yahweh is good on the album and it gains a lot on the acoustic live version, especially with the amazing animation on that giant screen...

YAGÜEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

Hoodlem said:

I agree...when you look at these definitions "Grace" is a much more powerful song:

**Divine grace is a Christian term for gifts granted to humanity by God, that God is under no need or obligation to grant. Most broadly, grace describes all of God's gifts to humankind, including our life, creation, and salvation, which God gives to us freely. More narrowly but more commonly, grace describes the means by which humans are saved from original sin and granted salvation. ...

**elegance and beauty of movement or expression

**seemliness: a sense of propriety and consideration for others

**a disposition to kindness and compassion; "the victor's grace in treating the vanquished"

**(Greek mythology) one of three sisters who were the givers of beauty and charm; a favorite subject for sculptors

I voted for "Yaweh," but I've always had a fondness for both of these underrated beauties. While I've liked "Yaweh" from the start and loved hearing it live acoustically, "Grace" really grew on me over repeated listens. The lyrics are clever and profound, without being too preachy. But "Yaweh" just has that extra twinkle for me. I think the live version with the golden graphics is gorgeous and I can't lie...it gave me warm fuzzies:reject: :cute:

Of course, I'm more then a little biased concerning "Grace"...it's my middle name:wink:

neither of them are amongst my favourites but theyre both ok.
I like the unforgettable fire-eno feel of grace and i also like the one tree hill-like refrain of yahweh.
I think Grace shades it but the Uk version of ATYCLB is better because it ends with TGBHF which is a better song and album closer than either of them.

Back
Top Bottom