Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Because this would be the first time since 1997, that U2 played a full length concert in an American stadium. I mean he did bring the flag on stage, and the show was near sold out (why wasn't it sold out?)

But this makes me wonder if they'd consider playing stadiums next tour?

Hawaii is after all a US State....so I dunno, It definitely wouldn't come under a Europe show .

As for the next tour, It really all depends on what U2 are going for.

If Honolulu did not actually sell out by the time the show began, it was very close. In looking around the stadium during the show, it certainly looked sold out with no noticeable empty places where they sold tickets.

Bono Also brought out a US flag...

So I think It Counts, Bono may not be able to remember all the lyrics, but he's still young enough to remember where he is...

Unlike the edge.........

bono_man2002 said:

So I think It Counts, Bono may not be able to remember all the lyrics, but he's still young enough to remember where he is...

Unlike the edge.........

:lmao:

bono_man2002 said:

Unlike the edge.........

If Edge had been doing the flag waving, you can bet that in Hawaii, he would have been proudly waving the flag of Greece while Adam, Bono, and Larry laughed their arses off.

U2FanPeter said:
U2 played 3 North America Stadiums 10 months ago.

They sold out the 200,000(?) tickets.

:confused:
If you mean the N. Orleans gig that was really a football game, not technically a U2 show.

U2girl said:

If you mean the N. Orleans gig that was really a football game, not technically a U2 show.

I meant that bit of land geographically below the US. It's kinda hard to see with that huge fence Bush is building.

Check u2tours.com for February 2006.

U2girl said:

He's referring to the three Mexico gigs back in February.

of course it is... do the dublin shows qualify as an Ireland stadium? just because it's not connected to the mainland, it's still a part of the United States.

now as for if they'd consider stadiums in the states, yes... i still think they originaly planned to bring the stadium show to the US but everything backfired on 'em when edge's daughter got sick. i don't know if they'd ever start a tour with stadiums, but i certainly believe they would consider returning to stadiums if the "album is happening"

I predict an early spring arena tour to get the loser cities like St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Charlotte or one of the cities in my native Ohio out of the way, then come back after the Summer European tour for the REAL US leg.... the stadium leg. After seeing the Milan DVD, I realize that U2 do, in fact, belong in stadiums. Compare Milan with Chicago.... compare Slane with Boston.... just better in stadiums... or maybe US crowds suck. Probably a little of both.

The_acrobat said:
I predict an early spring arena tour to get the loser cities like St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Charlotte or one of the cities in my native Ohio out of the way, then come back after the Summer European tour for the REAL US leg.... the stadium leg.

Any precedent for this, or are you just making shit up?

Halup said:
If Honolulu did not actually sell out by the time the show began, it was very close. In looking around the stadium during the show, it certainly looked sold out with no noticeable empty places where they sold tickets.
I would guess that the reason 47K is reprted as an "almost sell-out" is because the football team drew 50K the week before, filling all the seats.

But with a portion of the stadium blocked off behind the stage, and lots of field tickets available, I'll bet 47K will be listed by U2 as a sellout.

Back in March or whenever this was originally announced, I think the Honolulu paper said that something around 35K would be the capacity for a sellout.

martha said:

Any precedent for this, or are you just making shit up?

Key words in my post are "I predit....". Meaning, a prediction. Meaning, what I think will happen, but not a confirmed fact. And why I think that will happen is based on things such as logic, combined with the fact that they wanted to do a US stadium tour in 2005, but already had the arenas booked. Also consider that they can only do arena shows in certain US cities due to lack of demand. Also, consider that U2 said they will never do a tour where they are leapfrogging arena and stadiums shows (aka Joshua Tree tour), so therefore they would do an arena leg, and then a stadium tour. Also, consider that Willie Williams said they want to go for something bigger next time.

So I'm taking the information given to me to make a "PREDICTION" with a decent chance of accuracy. So no, I am not just "making shit up".

Well, it is good to know that it isn't just us Americans who don't know our geography.

Yes, Hawaii is in the United States of America. It is the fiftieth state.

For proof, see the television show "Hawaii Five Oh".

So YES, that would be the first US stadium show since 1997. Lucky Hawaiians. Wahoo!

GIven their tour by tour idiosyncracies, it also might end up being the only time Window In The Skies is played in the US. Dammit.

U2FanPeter said:
Is the Tacoma Dome, that U2 played 4/2001, classified as an arena or a stadium?

Its definately an arena. A big one, but still an arena. I think the unofficial technical qualification in the U.S. to be a stadium is that it can fit a full football field or major league baseball set up in it.

Back
Top Bottom