Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahbleh

acf24c68.gif

I really enjoy Stand Up Comedy.

Sure its not the greatest song on the album, but it's better than the mood killers, White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon.

Really, COL is the only song on that album I don't like. Good thing its the last track so I can just stop listening after Breathe.

I can't really choose one song. So here goes.

Red Light
The Refugee
The Wanderer
Grace
Yahweh

Peace on Earth ... Insipid, boring backing track. Clunky (if heartfelt) lyrics. Ground they'd already covered much better elsewhere - including with two vastly superior songs on Pop (Please, Wake Up Dead Man).

Boy I'm surprised at all the SUC hate. There's no way SUC is anywhere near Red Light. I guess people hate the lyrics.

It's from the correct era of U2 to hate ?

As for the vote...depends. If the first albums count, Red light. If we are to go easy on early U2, Miami.

I don't really like SUC but yeah like some others have said it's not as bad as Red Light or the other songs I have listed.

To me, there's no doubt it's Vertigo. An overpolished attempt at sounding like a garage band (which was huge in 2004 with The Strokes et al), with Bono's embarrassing Spanish count-in, and the egregiously meaningless chorus. That song is nothing but fodder for my U2-hating friends. :barf:

I don't mind the Spanish count-in (or the mistake), it's the 'turn it up loud, captain' that is truly, truly, truly cringeworthy.

the unos dos tres catorce, turn it up loud captain, give me what I want and no one get hurt, "hola" and "donde esta" are all extremely cringe worthy and corny. The first time I heard it, I was just like Bono, what are you thinking!? However I really like the song itself and the guitar riff, but seriously how cheesey are those lyrics!? :cute:

I love the MTV performance. One of the best Bono vocals. :heart: And it's definitely not vague :huh:

Yes, the MTV performance is my second favorite performance of Please after the one I posted above (which I think is even more emotional). I love how in that year you had all these popular boybands and "pop" acts perform and then all of the sudden U2 just performs this super serious, intense song. Must have made all the rest of the performances look so insignificant and fake. and I love Bono in that hood hahah

i think i'll go with vertigo. only u2 could take an overtly political song and turn it into a song about...nothing. well okay, anyone could do that but my point still stands.

other contenders for me would be wild honey and window in the skies.

I've never minded Red Light, it makes me nostalgic for the 80s. If I had to pick something truly bad, it'd be from the triumvirate of awful from ATYCLB - Grace, Peace on Earth, or When I Look at the World. BLAND.

Can't agree re: When I Look At The World...it's lightyears ahead of the feelgood fluff spread out over that record. The last verse is just crushing. And Edge's guitar tone -- the one that's supposedly prevented them from performing the song live -- is one of my very favorites. Really cool song, has definitely grown with me, rather than apart from me like so much 00s U2 has.

Can't agree re: When I Look At The World...it's lightyears ahead of the feelgood fluff spread out over that record. The last verse is just crushing. And Edge's guitar tone -- the one that's supposedly prevented them from performing the song live -- is one of my very favorites. Really cool song, has definitely grown with me, rather than apart from me like so much 00s U2 has.

:up: agreed a lot on that. I still wish they would try it live some day. I don't believe they cannot figure out how to play it. Bullshit. Either Edge or Dallas must've written it down or it's in the recordings somewhere. Or they're just gonna have to lock Edge in a room with his guitar and effects and keep him there till he figures it out!!!

IMO Peace on earth still has some good sentiment to it.... though it's not that great. Grace, however, is one of the most boring pieces of shite I've ever heard!

I've never minded Red Light, it makes me nostalgic for the 80s. If I had to pick something truly bad, it'd be from the triumvirate of awful from ATYCLB - Grace, Peace on Earth, or When I Look at the World. BLAND.

Well I never ... :angry: I don't mind Peace on Earth but you're pretty spot on with Grace.

Back
Top Bottom