WORST song survivor: preliminaries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
well, before we dive in to another survivor series, i thought we should go into the rules and what qualifies to be included. this is going to be for the WORST song, as we've already done the best. (one won.)

we are going to have quite a few rounds, 17 to be exact. that's 12 for the albums, and 5 for the b-sides and non-album singles. (qualifications to be discussed later.) each album gets its own round. for ease, i've put the b-sides into groups according to era. they all contain about the same amount of songs an album would. they are a bit uneven, but i wanted to keep each album's b-sides in the same group.

what makes a song qualify to be included in survivor? well, for starters, it must be a studio recording. that leaves out about half of rattle and hum and wide awake in america, as well as all of under a blood red sky. the studio tracks of wide awake in america will be on the b-sides section, as they were first released as b-sides on the unforgettable fire single. covers are also disqualified, as are remixes. also, all four members of U2 must have worked on the song for it to qualify, leaving out any solo work, as well as larry and adam's reworking of the mission: impossible theme. the song in question must also be a commercial release, leaving out demos. demos that have been commercially released (those on the itunes box set), are okay.

timing of the poll: there are so many rounds, it really makes sense to keep each individual round as a timed ONE day poll. when we get to the end of each round, the final poll will last two days, to give more people a chance to vote.

ties will be broken by eliminating both songs from the poll UNLESS we are in the top five. even if there are three tied, all three will be eliminated. any more of a tie (four-way tie, etc.), then we will have a tiebreaker round.

also, when we get down to the final round (the winner of each previous round going against each other), these polls will last two days. the same tiebreaking rules apply.

qualifiers:
- all the albums will have their own round, as i mentioned. i won't bother listing it as everyone should hopefully know!

- the fool
- street mission
- boy/girl
- another day
- 11 o'clock tick tock
- touch
- things to make and do
- j. swallow
- a celebration
- trash, trampoline, and the party girl
- treasure (whatever happened to pete the chop)
- endless deep

- boomerang one
- boomerang two
- the three sunrises
- love comes tumbling
- sixty seconds in the kingdom come
- bass trap

- luminous times (hold on to love)
- walk to the water
- spanish eyes
- deep in the heart
- race against time
- silver and gold
- the sweetest thing
- hallelujah here she comes
- a room at the heartbreak hotel

- alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk/korova 1
- lady with the spinning head (original)
- salome
- where did it all go wrong
- slow dancing (bono on vocals)
- viva davidoff
- bottoms
- hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
- holy joe (garage mix)
- north and south of the river
- two shots of happy, one shot of sad

- stateless
- the ground beneath her feet
- summer rain
- always
- big girls are best
- electrical storm
- the hands that built america
- are you gonna wait forever
- native son
- smile
- xanax and wine
- levitate
- love you like mad
- flower child

Last edited:
Is this seriously the best subject for a survivor we could come up with? There was nothing more positive? I like or love all of U2's music too much to be choosing 'worst' songs, and I doubt I'm alone in that opinion.

namkcuR said:
Is this seriously the best subject for a survivor we could come up with? There was nothing more positive? I like or love all of U2's music too much to be choosing 'worst' songs, and I doubt I'm alone in that opinion.

I've personally been wanting to do this survivor for quite a while now. It's not meant to be negative, it's just selecting least favourites. I don't see the problem in that. Life isn't all flowers and happiness.

yes, sorry. that is round uhhh *checks list* nine.

it'll be boy/october/war/unforgettable fire/joshua tree/rattle and hum (no live/cover tracks)/achtung baby/zooropa/passengers/pop/all that you can't leave behind/how to dismantle an atomic bomb/b-sides, etc.

In answer to your questions:

Lady with the Spinning Head, the remix seems to be more popular, thus I would choose the original version for the poll. After all, we're voting on "worst" song. :wink:

I've Got You Under My Skin...if you include this, should you also include In A Lifetime, which is another duet?

Holy Joe...I would say Garage Mix. Being on the Discotheque single, people may be more familiar with this version.

miss becky said:

I've Got You Under My Skin...if you include this, should you also include In A Lifetime, which is another duet?

It's not a b-side as such - and moreso a release of Clannad than U2.

should Neon Lights maybe be added to the list too?

Last edited:
Well, Neon Lights is a cover, so no.

Hmm. I've Got You Under My Skin is a tough one. I'm not sure. I'd go for the original of Lady With The Spinning Head, though.

Also, what about Bottoms?

Oh, original Sweetest Thing or the new one? Both?

And, of course, we can't forget Electrical Storm or The Hands That Built America.

Well if the single version of Sweetest Thing goes up, that gets my vote for worst song right there. :wink:

Axver said:

And, of course, we can't forget Electrical Storm or The Hands That Built America.

I would say the Best Of 1980-1990 Sweetest Thing, if for no other reason, because more people have probably heard that one.

The Best ofs could have a joint vote, given that there aren't that many new tracks on them. Will we be including the new versions of the various Pop songs on the best of 1990-2000 in it?

I can't participate in something that's got so many rules and regulations.

Axver said:

hmmm, i guess we should do both. i think that's what we did for the best song.

i'll add bottoms, electrical storm, and hands.

i'll change the lwtsh to the original.

as for i've got you under my skin, i was hoping some U2 trivia buffs could help me on that. is that just bono? if so, i'll take it off.

KhanadaRhodes said:

hmmm, i guess we should do both. i think that's what we did for the best song.

i'll add bottoms, electrical storm, and hands.

i'll change the lwtsh to the original.

as for i've got you under my skin, i was hoping some U2 trivia buffs could help me on that. is that just bono? if so, i'll take it off.

Khanda, don't change lwtsh to the original. The extended version is much better. It's an absolute catharsis the way the whole second half of the song is pretty much totally instrumental. Please include the extended version!

uh oh...i really love the extended dance mix too, but we are voting for worst song here...:hmm:

i've updated my first post to reflect the changes thus far. i figure on starting the first round tomorrow evening unless there's some huge disagreement breaking out over what to include.

Go for the original. We're excluding remixes and I see no point in making an exception. If we're going to make this exception, then why not also include Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)?

TheRooster said:
I've got you under my skin is a cover. Its not an original U2 song so it shoudln't be included. IMO
:der: how could i forget this? thanks, that definitely answers my question!

btw, i updated the OP for something else as well. i realized i didn't say which version of slow dancing i meant. i mean the one with bono on vocals. :wink:

miss becky said:
Happiness is a Warm Gun. Is that a cover or an original?
cover. the beatles. :wink: :yuck: :reject:

k, i've also broken up the list of songs into groups so it's not just one solid block of text and should be a bit easier on the eyes. it just so happens to be broken up into the groups i'll be using for the series.

Last edited:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet was written by Salman Rushdie, so does it count?

Slow Dancing - isn't the Bono-vocals version just Bono and Edge playing?

Zootlesque said:
I hope you mean the yuck smiley for the cover and not the Beatles. :eyebrow:

:wink:
:uhoh:

:reject:

Axver said:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet was written by Salman Rushdie, so does it count?

Slow Dancing - isn't the Bono-vocals version just Bono and Edge playing?
damnit, i don't know! :mad: okay i knew about tgbhf but i forgot. i don't know about slow dancing though. it's on a U2 release so i think it would count?

Yeah, I think we should include Slow Dancing. There'd be an uproar if we didn't, I imagine.

And didn't Rushdie actually write TGHBF with the full intention of U2 playing it? It's not like it's actually a cover. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom