Wittenoom Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it's quiet here. Is everyone watching TV, then?

Ok, so I'm bored. I'll post a picture of myself imitating Bono at church for fun:

uwen_bono1.jpg

And now the PLEBAns will probably come in and analyse how I'm holding the mic and whatever compared to Bono...

Axver said:
OK, this I'm not familiar with this. I know the 72 virgins thing is not in the Koran as I've read it and it wasn't there, but that's it.

Of course, I wouldn't use this as the only source, but it seems to explain things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri#.2272_Virgins.22

If that entire article on the houri is factually correct, then even without 72 virgins there's still a massive aspect of sex in the Islamic view of heaven (females also being rewarded). However, it's never said that only martyrs are given these rewards.

major_panic said:
Wow, it's quiet here. Is everyone watching TV, then?

Ok, so I'm bored. I'll post a picture of myself imitating Bono at church for fun:

uwen_bono1.jpg

And now the PLEBAns will probably come in and analyse how I'm holding the mic and whatever compared to Bono...

Haha, nice.

Wait, why would you want to imitate Bono? :tsk:

I'm not watching TV, by the way. Though I do have to go in like half an hour, so I'm disappointed everyone's stuck into GNW right now.

The Sad Punk said:

Haha, nice.

Wait, why would you want to imitate Bono? :tsk:

I'm not watching TV, by the way. Though I do have to go in like half an hour, so I'm disappointed everyone's stuck into GNW right now.

It was for fun, it was in the children's church and besides, I was, uh, preaching :reject: . It was to make a point about heroes.

major_panic said:

See if you can trick any gullible people into thinking Bono's had plastic surgery to look Asian. I mean, if the Kunstmuseum fooled people, surely that would work too!

major_panic said:

It was for fun, it was in the children's church and besides, I was, uh, preaching :reject: . It was to make a point about heroes.

I'm interested in hearing this point about heroes. It's difficult to preach to children without sounding kind of stupid, I find (not that I've really been in the position, but I've been partially involved with similar things though I mainly disagree with it).

Axver said:

See if you can trick any gullible people into thinking Bono's had plastic surgery to look Asian. I mean, if the Kunstmuseum fooled people, surely that would work too!

Yeah, and that Larry's now (completely) invisible.

The Sad Punk said:

I figured you might have been preaching, since there's nobody on the drums there. I'm interested in hearing this point about heroes. It's difficult to preach to children without sounding kind of stupid, I find (not that I've really been in the position, but I've been partially involved with similar things though I mainly disagree with it).

It was about the way we respect our heroes for various reasons and why; I was talking about respect for Bono compared to respect for God, and why we respect God beyond just "because we have to".

Basically, I dressed up as Bono to catch their attention and to initiate what I was gonna say, then it flowed from there.

The Sad Punk said:

Yeah, and that Larry's now (completely) invisible.

He smiled one day and his face got stuck that way. In order that nobody'd ever see him smile, he took the Michael Jackson path and injected himself. Now he's completely invisible thanks to the special formula he injected himself with.

And ugh, being hotter than 32 degrees at 9:30pm should be a crime.

Ah, so it wasn't anything about saying Bono is a good, charitable, ideal Christian? The last priest that I was kind of mates with did a sermon about that for the kids (even though like other U2 fans, he personally thought Bono was a twat). So just using him as an example of celebrity there, right.

Regardless of how it turned out, it certainly sounds much more engaging than any sermon I've seen at an AOG church. :wink:

major_panic said:

He smiled one day and his face got stuck that way. In order that nobody'd ever see him smile, he took the Michael Jackson path and injected himself. Now he's completely invisible thanks to the special formula he injected himself with.

That's what the bull's blood is for?!

The Sad Punk said:
Ah, so it wasn't anything about saying Bono is a good, charitable, ideal Christian? The last priest that I was kind of mates with did a sermon about that for the kids (even though like other U2 fans, he personally thought Bono was a twat). So just using him as an example of celebrity there, right.

Regardless of how it turned out, it certainly sounds much more engaging than any sermon I've seen at an AOG church. :wink:

I could've done that, but it was implied anyway.

And thanks, haha, but that's probably not difficult at all. I do try to keep things interesting for the kids though - boring church generally means the kids don't learn as much about their own faith, which I'm quite big on.

Besides, they're kids! They don't want 45 minute long sermons on tithing. And, I get to dress up as Bono for fun!

The Sad Punk said:

That's what the bull's blood is for?!

Yep.

Also, Bono decided that he needed a "new look" for the upcoming album and tour. So he asked the plastic surgeon to "do what you can". The end result? Bono is now Asian, taller and much younger-looking.

major_panic said:

Yep.

Also, Bono decided that he needed a "new look" for the upcoming album and tour. So he asked the plastic surgeon to "do what you can". The end result? Bono is now Asian, taller and much younger-looking.

In related news, PLEBA has now divided into two warring camps.

The postwhorehouse is stocking up on popcorn, kicking back, and waiting for the lulz.

Axver said:

In related news, PLEBA has now divided into two warring camps.

The postwhorehouse is stocking up on popcorn, kicking back, and waiting for the lulz.

:up:

I wish something like that'd happen. EYKIW's reliable, but sometimes the really funny stuff just gets ignored, or shut down.

Aaand I'm now back from having my attention stolen by GNW.

Ok, I just posted in EYKIW. Hopefully the thread'll go in the direction I want it to, ie. ridiculous amount of sarcasm and satire, then the avid U2 fans coming in and talking about Paul McGuinness.

That was a fantastic episode. Anyone else watch Media Watch?

major_panic said:
Ok, I just posted in EYKIW. Hopefully the thread'll go in the direction I want it to, ie. ridiculous amount of sarcasm and satire, then the avid U2 fans coming in and talking about Paul McGuinness.

:lol: Nice post.

major_panic said:
Hey Ax, our lecture's in the Copland Theatre still, isn't it? In the Economics and Commerce building?

Yeah, just up from the Baillieu opposite Old Arts.

The Sad Punk said:
That was a fantastic episode. Anyone else watch Media Watch?

I honestly don't even know what you're talking about.

major_panic said:

What are you talking about here? Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom