With NLOTH, we are not forced to like certain songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
With the last two albums, we were somewhat "forced" by leaks and band memebers themselves that certain songs were going to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Look at "Stuck" and "Sometimes....". These are two of the most overrated songs in U2's catalog. With "Miracle Drug", Bono had to explain the song for about 5 minutes before playing it live. The song did not have a chance to speak for itself. With these new songs, at least it is causing some further listens and debate which is usually signs of a good record. See Zooropa, POP, etc. It is obvious that U2 were driven by POST-POP backlash and created ATYCLB and Bomb, but I believe that only a few songs in those albums were what they were internally striving for. See.........In a little while, A man and a woman (trully underappreciated it) and one step closer.

Good point. This album has a lot more freedom, both in terms of creativity and in terms of what you've already mentioned. It's the most artistic album they've put out since Zooropa.

True, always hated Bono explaining the EXACT meaning of Miracle Drug. It didn't warrant it.

You don't have artists stood next to their paintings in galleries telling you in minute detail what their art means....

Didn't Bono talk about falling in love with Chicago on the Vertigo DVD version?

Anyway, Bono talked for a few minutes before I still haven't found what I'm looking for on Popmart and IMO its one of the best moments of that tour.

An they did the whole TV thing before Even Better Than The Real Thing on Zoo TV.

Well, you're not forced by the band, but you are forced by the Interference Hivemind!
Now go love Unknown Caller. :wink:

If anything these little speeches are given to give the band a quick breather. Though the MD & One speech were a bit too much on the Vertigo Tour. Hopefully the visuals on this tour can provide more interest than Bono talking for 5 minutes.

Though with the complex sounds/layers on NLOTH they'll need 5 minutes to setup sequencers, get the orchestra ready, for each song :)

Totally agree with this post. I hated how u2 hyped up songs. And this time around, I am irritated by the hype that MOS received. I put to high of expectations on it and hence, am suffering to truly enjoy as others seems to be doing.
If U2 or the producers down-played the songs, I'd probably enjoy them more. Reverse psychology.

Totally agree with this post. I hated how u2 hyped up songs. And this time around, I am irritated by the hype that MOS received. I put to high of expectations on it and hence, am suffering to truly enjoy as others seems to be doing.
If U2 or the producers down-played the songs, I'd probably enjoy them more. Reverse psychology.

Yes, because that's what artist do... Well guys this really isn't our best album but you should check it out anyways...

I don't remember any hype for MOS...:shrug:

MOS :drool:

With the last two albums, we were somewhat "forced" by leaks and band memebers themselves that certain songs were going to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Look at "Stuck" and "Sometimes....". These are two of the most overrated songs in U2's catalog. With "Miracle Drug", Bono had to explain the song for about 5 minutes before playing it live. The song did not have a chance to speak for itself. With these new songs, at least it is causing some further listens and debate which is usually signs of a good record. See Zooropa, POP, etc. It is obvious that U2 were driven by POST-POP backlash and created ATYCLB and Bomb, but I believe that only a few songs in those albums were what they were internally striving for. See.........In a little while, A man and a woman (trully underappreciated it) and one step closer.

What about Zooropa and POP?? They are great now because they cause further listen to trully enjoy them? Sorry i've been listening to them for 15 and 12 years and i still don't like them.
On Leave behing the joy was instant. It's still pretty goog until today. There are albums that you like from the moment you listen (RH) or those you don't like much for the first time(AB). But that doesn't mean that good albums require several listenings to be consiedered real good. Maybe Bomb was an album that sounded better back in nov 2004 than now, but that is not a rule.

What I'm trying to say is that songs should speak for themselves and I hate it when Eno, Paul M., Bono hype us songs months ahead of release and when you finally listen to it, they kind of suck like Sometimes and Stuck etc.

What about Zooropa and POP?? They are great now because they cause further listen to trully enjoy them? Sorry i've been listening to them for 15 and 12 years and i still don't like them....

You've been listening to them for 15 and 12 years? Really? Are you sure you don't like them? 'Cause it kind of sounds like you do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom