Willie's Diary - All info and updates HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking the same thing.

If you're actually cognizant of what your more hardcore fans think, and you don't really cater to them anyway....why would you knowingly yank one of the few songs on the set list most hardcore fans love?

I'd feel more frustrated about it if they hadn't replaced it with something else unexpected.

I mean, they clearly don't care about us anyway ( :wink: ), but I could see that the replacement song might have still been "for us."

If they'd replaced it with Pride or Bullet, I'd be posting my Picard "WTF IS THIS SHIT" picture in this thread.

I was thinking the same thing.

If you're actually cognizant of what your more hardcore fans think, and you don't really cater to them anyway....why would you knowingly yank one of the few songs on the set list most hardcore fans love?
actually, you're right.

in the past we'd just assumed they had nfi what hardcore fans were into. knowing what we want (i feel the need to say by majority opinion as gauged on here/imo) and dumping it anyway...ehhh. although it was at least for something cool.

can't say i'm feeling the love on this diary.

and to think i was just going to ignore it!

I think that our expectations have sunk so low that we've lost sight of the fact that it's possible, as they just did, to play both songs.

I'm not frustrated, since I've yet to attend a show this leg.....more disappointed than anything, really.

They hate us. :wink:

I like the encore as they played it in Horsens 2, so hopefully they will keep it that way and bring back TUF and UTEOTW. We shall see tomorrow.

Beautiful Day, released in 2000 is, for the purposes of a discussion on opening with new versus old material, no more of a new, forward looking opener than Streets.

It was a big radio hit that made U2 relevant again a full decade ago.

You keep trying to use this argument as a defense of going back to the Elevation Tour, but sorry, it just does not work.

Streets worked as an opener.

As would Until The End of The World.

Despite the "not promoting anything" line - there's a 2009 album that comes to mind but since they stopped with the singles after Crazy there is some truth to it - the decision to open with BD, or anything not coming from the latest album - regardless of how much it works, is wrong and adds fuel to the "dinosaur/nostalgia act" whiffs that U2 has felt this decade on occasions. And the mileage that UTEOTW - main set song, not opener - or Streets have compared to BD really does not help matters.

beats in a little while.

but i'll let them replace it with an atyclb song*.

*as long as the song is when i look at the world or the ground beneath her feet**.

**i know, let's not start that again.

Greatest Setlist Ever:

1. Return Of The Stingray Guitar
2. Beautiful Day / Singing In The Rain (snippet) / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)
3. New Year's Day
4. Get On Your Boots
5. Magnificent
6. Mysterious Ways
7. Elevation
8. Bullet The Blue Sky / Rambling (snippet) / On (snippet) / For (snippet) / T (snippet) / w (snippet) / e (snippet) / n (snippet) / t (snippet) / y (snippet) / Minutes (snippet)
9. Stuck in a Moment You Can Get Out Of
10. Grace
11. Miss Sarajevo
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. Vertigo
14. Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet)
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. MLK
17. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):
18. One
19. Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
20. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
21. Ultra Violet (Light My Way) (printed on the original setlist, not played)
22. With Or Without You / HAHA NO SHINE LIKE STARS (snippet)
23. Moment of Surrender

There are times, after getting way too wrapped up in setlist crap, that even just seeing the word "snippet" makes me want to stab myself with a fork.

Back
Top Bottom