Will they sell out stadiums in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If during the last tour they played 3 nights in an arena with a maximum capacity of, say 25,000, and sold out each nightt I am willing to bet if they played in the same city but in a stadium with 75,000 for one night only they'd sell out the stadium.

Not necessarily. A lot of the crowd in a 3 night stand is bound to go multiple nights

I think George Strait sold out the new Dallas stadium for June.

Thats not just George Strait, its the following:

George Strait
Reba McEntire
Blake Shelton
Julianne Hough

Take away those three artist playing with him, and place him with one relatively unknown artist, and he might not be playing the stadium let alone selling it out. Reba McEntire has sold over 40 million albums in the United States. The idea that Reba McEntire could be considered an opening act is absurd. But, there are actually still single tickets left for the show, and it is in a conventional set up with no seats behind the stage used.

The Jonas Brothers.

The Jonas Brothers? Their current show in Dallas at "Cowboys Stadium" is not even close to being soldout. Tickets for the show can still be purchased in the lower level. Plenty of $29.50 and $39.50 tickets available all over the stadium. Despite the cheap ticket price, they don't appear to be anywhere near a sellout.

It's been done twice before for concerts at Scott Stadium: Dave Matthews Band in 2001 and The Rolling Stones in 2005. But it may be the toughest show on the tour to sell out.

Where exactly is the audience coming from? Charlottesville's population is less than 50,000 while the stadium holds over 60,000. It doesn't look like it's near any particularly massive centres of population - Richmond isn't exactly a massive city, and DC already has a show of its own.

U2 haven't played Virginia AT ALL since 1992, and previous gigs there have been at the Hampton Coliseum. Since then, fans have had to go to DC or NC. Now playing stadiums in all three of DC, Charlottesville, and Raleigh seems like overkill. Playing either VA or NC rather than both makes more sense to me.

Where exactly is the audience coming from? Charlottesville's population is less than 50,000 while the stadium holds over 60,000. It doesn't look like it's near any particularly massive centres of population - Richmond isn't exactly a massive city, and DC already has a show of its own.

U2 haven't played Virginia AT ALL since 1992, and previous gigs there have been at the Hampton Coliseum. Since then, fans have had to go to DC or NC. Now playing stadiums in all three of DC, Charlottesville, and Raleigh seems like overkill. Playing either VA or NC rather than both makes more sense to me.

Charlottesville is DC's 2nd show more or less.

With the instant sellout in Zagrab Croatia of 63,000 tickets for an August 10th show there, its just been announced that another show will take place there on August the 9th.

Croatia has some of the most expensive ticket prices of the tour so far.

Here are the 5 price levels converted into US Dollars:

$356.16
$178.08
$133.99
$89.33
$44.51

I think $356.16 is the highest priced ticket of the tour so far.

This is the LiveNation Press Release from yesterday:

U2 360° TOUR

CHICAGO, BOSTON AND NEW YORK

ALL INSTANTANEOUS SELL-OUTS

LARGEST SINGLE DAY ATTENDANCE RECORDS SET IN EACH CITY

2ND & FINAL SHOWS ADDED – ON SALE NEXT MONDAY!

TORONTO – 2 SHOWS COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!

LOS ANGELES, CA March 30, 2009 With sales this morning of over 82,000 tickets sold in New York,
72,000 in Boston and 65,000 in Chicago, U2 360° Tour will set the largest single day attendance record in
each city.

Response has been overwhelming and records continue to shatter. In London, with over 6700 tickets sold
in just 60 seconds, ticket sales for U2 360° Tour at Wembley Stadium resulted in the highest sales rate
ever in the UK. At Dublin’s Croke Park, 160,000 tickets for U2 360° Tour performances on July 24th and
25th sold out in just 40 minutes, leading the announcement of a 3rd and final event in that city. Sales in
Gothenburg and Amsterdam were so brisk that 2nd performances were added and sold out within hours of
them going on sale. Zagreb sales broke all sales records in that country and last week – U2’s tour
opener in Barcelona sold out in 54 minutes becoming the fastest ever sold out show in the history of pop
music in Spain.

The North American tour opener in Chicago September 12th at Soldier Field was an instantaneous sell-
out. Due to overwhelming demand, a 2nd and final performance September 13th also with special guest
Snow Patrol has been confirmed. In Boston, in addition to the sold out September 20th performance, fans
will be able to see U2 with special guest Snow Patrol at a second event – September 21st at Gillette
Stadium.

In New York at Giants Stadium, Muse will be the special guest at both the September 24th and now 2nd
and final performance on September 25th. In Toronto, response to the announcement of U2’s
performance was so strong that a 2nd performance was announced prior to it going on sale this morning
and both performances September 16th and 17th at Rogers Center are also now sold out.

Also confirmed this morning, U2 360° Tour will visit Washington – September 29th at FedEx Field;
Charlottesville, October 1st at Scott Stadium; Atlanta – October 6th at Georgia Dome; Tampa – October 9th
at Raymond James Stadium; Los Angeles – October 25th at the Rose Bowl; and Vancouver – October
28th at BC Place Stadium.

Tickets in Charlottesville will go on sale Friday, April 3rd. Tickets for all additional performances including
the 2nd and final performances in Chicago, Boston and New York will go on sale next Monday, April 6th at
10:00 am.

Full details of all dates and on-sale information as well as a virtual model of the unique production and
seating positions can be found on a dedicated microsite at U2.com. Subscribers to U2’s official website
U2.com will have an opportunity to purchase tickets in advance of the public on sale date.

U2.com > Welcome

The U2 360° tour is sponsored by BlackBerry® and produced by Live Nation Global Touring.

I'm not sure if that population figure includes the 20k students. Richmond metro area has over a million I think, and there are some other universities within an hour. Live Nation's head of global touring lives in Charlottesville, so that certainly plays a role in bringing in big acts to the city.

Charlottesville is DC's 2nd show more or less.

Maybe for some western parts of the DC area, but in that case Philly could also be considered a 2nd DC show.

I'm not sure if that population figure includes the 20k students. Richmond metro area has over a million I think, and there are some other universities within an hour. Live Nation's head of global touring lives in Charlottesville, so that certainly plays a role in bringing in big acts to the city.

Maybe for some western parts of the DC area, but in that case Philly could also be considered a 2nd DC show.

Hardly. Philly has the 5th biggest metro population in the country, and is much closer to Giants Stadium anyway. Philly will eventually get a date(s).

Charlottesville is a little podunk town that is considered part of the draw for LiveNation's DC area shed (Nissan Pavilion)

Charlottesville is a little podunk town that is considered part of the draw for LiveNation's DC area shed (Nissan Pavilion)

Driving time is about the same though from many parts of DC. Charlottesville is actually harder to get back from at night (lower speed limit, darker highways).

The Jonas Brothers.

south%20park%20jonas%20brothers.jpg

BAY-BAY!!!!!

What I'd like to know is how the hell U2 plan to sell out Charlottesville when the venue holds more people than the entire population of the city.

A better question would be "why would a city build a stadium that holds more than the city's population?". Clearly not everyone in the city is a sports fan or a fan of whatever team plays there. And even fewer people are fans of artists that choose to perform at that venue.

So the answer is pretty obvious: the draw from surrounding cities is large enough to make up the difference.

DC itself only has 500,000 people, but the whole metro area (spilling into three states beyond the District, and really swallowing up all of Baltimore's metro area, too) is huge, plus the million or so people in Richmond's metro area. Especially if there's only one show for DC, there will be a lot of potential traffic for Charlottesville. Raleigh is kind of another story, though. I think that will be the most difficult show... although I'm really interested to see what numbers my home state churns out.

It's kinda like asking why they have two stadium shows in East Rutherford... after all, that city has less than ten-thousand people in it.
The Jonas Brothers? Their current show in Dallas at "Cowboys Stadium" is not even close to being soldout. Tickets for the show can still be purchased in the lower level. Plenty of $29.50 and $39.50 tickets available all over the stadium. Despite the cheap ticket price, they don't appear to be anywhere near a sellout.
Didn't they sell Reliant out?

Concert Haul: U2 Tour Racks Up A $19M Monday (LYV)

U2's latest tour made nearly $20 million yesterday, quickly selling out the foursome's first three U.S. shows in Chicago, Boston and New York--raking in more in just a few hours than it did in the first three weeks after the release of its newest album.

Yesterday, U2's tour generated roughly $19,561,500 in ticket sales based on quick sellouts at Chicago's Soldier Field (65,000 seats), Boston's Gillette Stadium (72,000 seats), and New Jersey's Giants Stadium (82,000 seats)*.

So the basic answer to this thread is yes, they will sell out all of the stadiums!!! This is huge for the US considering the economy and the fact the last stadium tour was so-so (not in the show itself, but the lukewarm reception to POP (not my lukewarm reception though)).

I think they will sell out Raleigh no problem, they'll pull folks from CLT, the triangle, some from VA, South Carolina, etc.

Didn't they sell Reliant out?

Jonas brothers have never played an individual or headlining concert at Reliant stadium in Houston, nor are they scheduled to on their current tour. They do have a show at the much smaller basketball arena the Toyota Center in Houston.

The Jonas Brothers did open up for Miley Cyrus on her 2007/2008 tour. That tour did play the annual festival Texas Rodeo that happens every year at Relient Stadium and is soldout every year regardless of whether or not there are any music artist performing.

Not only have the Jonas Brothers not soldout the Reliant Stadium in Houston or any stadium in Texas, they have never soldout a football stadium anywhere in the United States.

Jonas brothers have never played an individual or headlining concert at Reliant stadium in Houston, nor are they scheduled to on their current tour. They do have a show at the much smaller basketball arena the Toyota Center in Houston.

The Jonas Brothers did open up for Miley Cyrus on her 2007/2008 tour. That tour did play the annual festival Texas Rodeo that happens every year at Relient Stadium and is soldout every year regardless of whether or not there are any music artist performing.

Not only have the Jonas Brothers not soldout the Reliant Stadium in Houston or any stadium in Texas, they have never soldout a football stadium anywhere in the United States.

Okay, I stand corrected... and thank God I do.

A better question would be "why would a city build a stadium that holds more than the city's population?". Clearly not everyone in the city is a sports fan or a fan of whatever team plays there. And even fewer people are fans of artists that choose to perform at that venue.

So the answer is pretty obvious: the draw from surrounding cities is large enough to make up the difference.

In 1992 they played in IOWA CITY to more people than the official town population.

Thats not just George Strait, its the following:

George Strait
Reba McEntire
Blake Shelton
Julianne Hough

Take away those three artist playing with him, and place him with one relatively unknown artist, and he might not be playing the stadium let alone selling it out. Reba McEntire has sold over 40 million albums in the United States. The idea that Reba McEntire could be considered an opening act is absurd. But, there are actually still single tickets left for the show, and it is in a conventional set up with no seats behind the stage used.

It's not like RHCP opening for U2 at Slane in 2001, and then filling the place themselves the next year.

REBA went out with Kelly Clarkson a year or two ago in order to fill arenas. STRAIT could have easily 360 filled the closing of Astrodome and 360 opening of the other stadium by himself any month of the year. He's been top grossing tour lists every year for well over a decade.

6/20/09 - Dallas Cowboys Stadium(360 setup)
7/4/09 - Salt Lake City LaVell Edwards Stadium(360)

Don't know how they've sold. Do they not count because opener Jennifer Hudson's family was on the receiving end of a killing spree? Does it not count because it's July 4th and the opening night of their summer tour?

Can you name any other artist that could?

By the end of October, U2 may have the two highest grossing concerts in the history of Texas.

Is this an admission that because of the claw legs and other blindspots that U2 cannot get concert attendance records in some Texas stadiums?

I have a STRAIT DVD from the Astrodome where every seat was sold and floor seating with a rotating stage in the middle. Almost 69,000(possibly 72,000 according to one source) is the number to beat.

It also depends on your definition of music... I hardly consider any other act that could sell a respectable number of tickets to a stadium show in Texas (other than maybe the Stones) to be music. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom