Will No Line On The Horizon Outsell Viva La Vida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't care too much anymore. Unfortunately this album doesn't have a big hit(for this days anyway) to push sales up. You see, if it weren't for the song Viva la Vida the album would not be this big seller. A hit song is essencial to the album sales strengh. Let's see if Magnificent can do better than Boots although historically is very very diffcult to have a big hit with the second single.

Viva la vida was the second single from the Coldplay album so U2 still have a chance

Yeah i know, this is my point. Viva la Vida the song is so so poppy and catchy and immediate. No line doesn't have anything like that. And it's even more difficult as a second single.

VLV sold +/- 6.8M copies till today and it was released late Spring time. The first single was sucessful but not a huge hit. The BIG-boost on VLV only came with the title track released right alter Violet Hill.

It's an agreement that Magnificent, not only is the most loved track by the fans, by the general public and by the critics. Plus it's radiofriendly, it has U2-ADN all over, it has a good chorus and it's a bit dancey (almost like Killers' "Human" and... Coldplay's VLV). It's the perfect song on the album to be released as a single if U2 really wants to surpass the 7M copies mark in times like these. I wouldn't be surprised if Magnificent would last on the radios and TV the same that VLV-song did.

I don't care too much anymore. Unfortunately this album doesn't have a big hit(for this days anyway) to push sales up. You see, if it weren't for the song Viva la Vida the album would not be this big seller. A hit song is essencial to the album sales strengh. Let's see if Magnificent can do better than Boots although historically is very very diffcult to have a big hit with the second single.
"Mysterious Ways" (2nd single) was the song that gave a boost in airplay and sales for Achtung Baby, not "The Fly".
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (2nd single) was as sucessful as "With Or Without You".

Plus, in markets like the European, "Stuck In A Moment" and "Sometimes" were huge hits too, equaling their respective previous singles in the charts and airplay ("Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo").

iTunes Top 100 Rock Music Albums

If this is any indication of how U2 will do in the US I think its starting well...of course this is still in the excitement stages but pretty much every album theyve put out is in the top 100 Rock albums in the US Itunes.

"Mysterious Ways" (2nd single) was the song that gave a boost in airplay and sales for Achtung Baby, not "The Fly".
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (2nd single) was as sucessful as "With Or Without You".

Plus, in markets like the European, "Stuck In A Moment" and "Sometimes" were huge hits too, equaling their respective previous singles in the charts and airplay ("Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo").

I don't remember Mysterious Ways being such a bit hit. Acutally it was "One" that gave AB it's lasting power.

Sometimes wasn't a hit as far as i remember.
Stuck was big but not close as Beautiful Day.
I still haven't found... is a super classic that was maybe the catchiest song U2 has ever done.

No one can deny that the impact of the 2nd single is much smaller than the first one. You have to have something very special-radiofriendly(aka VLV or One) in your pocket to throw as a 2nd single and still hugely boost your album sales.

I don't remember Mysterious Ways being such a bit hit. Acutally it was "One" that gave AB it's lasting power.

I still haven't found... is a super classic that was maybe the catchiest song U2 has ever done.

No one can deny that the impact of the 2nd single is much smaller than the first one. You have to have something very special-radiofriendly(aka VLV or One) in your pocket to throw as a 2nd single and still hugely boost your album sales.

Nope, The very catchy Mysterious ways, entered to the Billboard Top Ten, and gave to AB a very needed boost , after the first single flop, (The Fly reached "only" to 62 in top 100). The One sucess came after...

Yes believe it or not MW was bigger than One at the time but as the years have past One has grown into one of the greatest tracks ever!

Just proves singles sales mean nothing but if a song can stand the test of time this is what makes a great song

Gosh Viva La Vida is still in the top 40 at itunes hot 100. Mag right now is in the 60's :D.

Oh, you can bet it was... specially in Europe (I don't know what happened in Brasil).
Mysterious Ways was a huge hit, specially in the US (bigger than One, even) and here in Europe it still has huge radio airplay (more than Streets, Pride or Desire), whether it is in Portugal or in Germany.
The Fly was #1 in the UK, but it didn't last long on the UK chart. Same goes for the US where it peaked #61.

Stuck In A Moment was a big hit too, specially if we're talking about television airplay and it had lots of airplay then. It was almost as huge as Beautiful Day here, believe me.
Same goes to Sometimes. In Portugal and Spain, last year, Sometimes still was one of the most airplayed songs in radio... like COBL and... unlike Vertigo.

But Viva la vida was a smash hit. The days that u2 have smash hits globaly (incl US) are over. The last one was Vertigo. But if they release Magnificent as the next single then maybe there is hope but I doubt it.

You kind of contradict yourself there.

First you write that the days of U2 having global smash its are over. Then you write the last one was "Vertigo" - which was from their last studio album! So how can those days "be over" when their last album produced a "smash hit"?

I have to admit, I'm not good at predicting hits. I can say this, though - if Brian Eno says it's the "best ever" or "U2's next #1", you can count on the reverse happening, at least in the U.S. LOL! I hate to say that, but he's proven himself wrong at least 4x now. Fortunately, while his predictions for hit songs are off, he's an excellent producer, inspiration and writer.

Regardless, I have no idea if "Magnificent" will be huge or not. It has that potential and I hope it is. After that, "Crazy" and "Stand Up" are the next two most accessible songs (MOS needs editing for radio and until I hear that edit, I won't comment). If neither of those break through, then you may be right.

Still, it's always odd to think what would be a hit. Would anyone have predicted "I Still Haven't Found..." to go to #1 in the U.S.?

First you write that the days of U2 having global smash its are over. Then you write the last one was "Vertigo" - which was from their last studio album! So how can those days "be over" when their last album produced a "smash hit"?

I have to admit, I'm not good at predicting hits. I can say this, though - if Brian Eno says it's the "best ever" or "U2's next #1", you can count on the reverse happening, at least in the U.S. LOL! I hate to say that, but he's proven himself wrong at least 4x now. Fortunately, while his predictions for hit songs are off, he's an excellent producer, inspiration and writer.

Regardless, I have no idea if "Magnificent" will be huge or not. It has that potential and I hope it is. After that, "Crazy" and "Stand Up" are the next two most accessible songs (MOS needs editing for radio and until I hear that edit, I won't comment). If neither of those break through, then you may be right.

Still, it's always odd to think what would be a hit. Would anyone have predicted "I Still Haven't Found..." to go to #1 in the U.S.?

You're right. Vertigo was a big hit indeed. And that was only 4 years ago. And Bomb and especially the Vertigo tour where huge. But all I was trying to say was 'if they could not get another big hit' then they will never be. But some people maby thought the same after 'Pop'. And then there was Beautiful day. Thanks four your statement Doctorwho!!

I listened to X&Y start to finish yesterday for the second time ever. apart from 2 or 3 songs the most boring thing ive ever heard, yawn. how did that ever outsell HTDAAB :huh:

I listened to X&Y start to finish yesterday for the second time ever. apart from 2 or 3 songs the most boring thing ive ever heard, yawn. how did that ever outsell HTDAAB :huh:

Well, you should ask yourself also how it is possible that Viva la vida will outsell NLOTH. I mean, it´s very likely to happen.
Personally, I like X&Y better than VLV.

People buy albums without hearing them first maybe?

I haven't listened to X&Y in years, I just remember it being awful :lol:

I'd say U2 might struggle to outsell VLV, even though imo NLOTH is a much better and braver album - Coldplay have got that instant bonus factor - They're younger!!! To alot of younger fans Coldplay is their "U2", a band that they can say they've been a fan of since they first started out and a band they can identify with more purely because they're younger.
If U2 were fifteen years younger they wouldn't have to try half as hard to sell the same amount of records (imo). In fifteen years time if Coldplay are still around they'll have to try alot harder to stay on top of the charts especially given that they're prone to be quite "safe" with their music and not as likely to take chances! They could end up being the Phil Collins of the future!!

I'd say U2 might struggle to outsell VLV, even though imo NLOTH is a much better and braver album - Coldplay have got that instant bonus factor - They're younger!!! To alot of younger fans Coldplay is their "U2", a band that they can say they've been a fan of since they first started out and a band they can identify with more purely because they're younger.
If U2 were fifteen years younger they wouldn't have to try half as hard to sell the same amount of records (imo). In fifteen years time if Coldplay are still around they'll have to try alot harder to stay on top of the charts especially given that they're prone to be quite "safe" with their music and not as likely to take chances! They could end up being the Phil Collins of the future!!

This.

Time is the biggest factor.

coldplay are already as bad as phil collins

sales dont matter

its about keeping it real - both bands have failed to do that

I don't think XXX&YYY:wink::wink: outsold HTDAAB. To my knowledge, worldwide HTDAAB sold more than that rubbish album of Coldplay.

I liked x&y when it was first released. Upon hearing in in retrospect and in light of Viva La Vida it is a bit of a rubbish album. Dreary, slow and generally unfocused.

On the otherhand Viva La Vida is excellent and deserves to compete with NLOTH. They have at least moved beyong the U2 lite with piano mode and are becoming more unique. Not to say they still dont wear there influences 'on their sleeve'.....

I liked x&y when it was first released. Upon hearing in in retrospect and in light of Viva La Vida it is a bit of a rubbish album. Dreary, slow and generally unfocused.

On the otherhand Viva La Vida is excellent and deserves to compete with NLOTH. They have at least moved beyong the U2 lite with piano mode and are becoming more unique. Not to say they still dont wear there influences 'on their sleeve'.....

Personally, I find Viva la Vida songs so lame. And that includes the title track.

And "Saints" and "Window in the Skies" were big hits. Well, at least in Netherlands they were both number 1!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom