Why the hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gluey

Blue Crack Addict
Ok this has had me wondering for a while. And I know most of you here too well to think for a minute you'll all answer seriously!!! :wink: Besides, too much seriousness gets far too boring!!!

But it is a real question, an in amongst the expected, normal nonsense, I suspect the odd bit of honesty will come through. :wink:

Why do some of you consider yourself to be fans of the band, and yet a lot of what I see around here is:
- How you hate a lot of songs
- How Bono's voice is bad etc
- How Larry's drumming sucks
- How bad different albums are

What do you actually like about U2?

I get a bit bored of the constant picking to pieces of something you supposedly like enough to come to it's fan forum, and finally thought '"Bugger it! I'm going to ask!!"

Clarify for me! :D

(and no, I'm not on a soapbox, I'm genuinely curious and feeling brave enough to ask KNOWING what sort of replies this will undoubtedly bring!! :lol: )

I love pretty much everything about U2. I don't LOVE the last two albums, but we can't expect perfection every time.

I DO, however, take a bit of an issue with the U2 Corporation seemingly taking an annoying amount of precedence over U2 The Band in recent years. But what can I really do about that? I don't let it interfere with all of the emotions and memories (not to mention time and money) I have put towards, gotten from and associate with the band.

You can't please everyone, but I'm pretty easy to please. I just wish they could release records/ material more frequently. I think that would lead to some interesting things for the band. Ho hum.

I think it's like being a sports fan: you critique them when they're doing poorly just as you would a sports team. You appreciate them for everything they've brought you, but you're honest about them and how they're doing and how they've done in the past. It's not perfection, and you have your reservations and dislikes.

That's a really good point pfan. I think possibly that it's easy to get caught up in the negative here, whereas the other end of the spectrum is PLEBA. Neither is bad, they're just polar opposites. The negativity wouldn't be so obvious here if it was balanced with a bit more of what was liked.
Hell, the guys are only human, and humans are far from perfect. No one can get things 100% right 100% of the time. I tend to look at the bigger picture, and not get my knickers in a knot over the little imperfections. That's just me. :shrug:

Unfortunately, I think some do it to impress. Sort-of like choosing the most obscure song as your favourite (or by filling your dream setlist with obscure songs).

I think much of the positive stuff doesn't get talked about since a lot is assumed considering you're a fan and you're here already.

Gluey, you are indeed very brave and I'm so glad you started this thread. This has been on my mind for a long time, and has really bugged me.

Personally, I think there are a lot of different but very understandable reasons for the hate/criticism/negativity, but what I can't figure out is then, why do you like U2? I know that's kind of what you just asked :wink: , but what I mean is - how can you be attracted to what U2 are about, and act that way? It's sort of like Christians who are pro-war (may substitute racism, sexism, whatever). I don't understand why they would even like U2...

Sorry, I know that didn't clarify ANYTHING - just what was on my mind. :reject:

Thanks again for the thread gluey! :wave:

pfan's sports team analogy is a good one, but I also think of it that I'm tough on U2 the same way I'm tough on a bright but lazy student. I sometimes criticize them because I see what they're capable of doing and that they don't always live up to that potential.

I love all U2's work, but POP.....

All your albums are belong to POP.

And I think its wrong to start threads pointing out someone's faults. How would you like Bono pointing out how much you are bad at your job?

U2 Critics - SUCK!

I think the reason some people post in a negative fashion about U2 sometimes is precisely BECAUSE they love the band so much. When they do something that disappoints them, the feeling can be very, very bitter. Which hurts worse, after all - being disappointed in something you love or something you don't care all that much about? If you don't care that much about something, it's hard to be disappointed in it because you don't really have any expectations of it in the first place!

First I want to note I think some people just like to bitch. Even if they actually like something they will bitch about it -- bitching is just fun for them.

However, I also think sometimes the critical posts/threads are a way to counterbalance (sometimes consciously, sometimes not) the many sycophantic posts/threads that tend to be posted on pretty much all band forums (not just U2).

For example on a forum for another band one of the posters stated that band "is the only band that matters!!!" Now I love that band dearly, but that line (and many others from that poster) made me gag, and I felt a near compulsion to note something I didn't like about that band's new album in the thread. Now I certainly didn't spew hate for the band or album (since I quite like both :) ), but I did feel the need to distance myself from the TigerBeat-like gushing (showing my age here :wink: ) of the poster I just noted. I think that same thing happens here sometimes -- when there is too much gushing from some there will be a balancing out from others. Personally I think it -- if reasonably done -- can be good, because let's face it, the only fan worse than one who can see no right is one who can see no wrong.

The sports team analogy is a good one to a certain extent, but there are problems with it, too. The goal of a sports team is very simple - to win. Music, like all art, is subjective. It's not a dichotomous matter like win - lose.

I suppose what bugs me most about a great deal of the negativity around here is the mindset that "x is the best song/album/era ever" and "y is the worst, it's absolute crap." Um, no, it's not. No matter the song/album/era, they all have their fan segments, and just because a particular person doesn't like it doesn't make it a dismal failure on the part of the band. I wish that more people, rather than blaming the band, would frame it as a "it's not something I prefer, but that's completely due to my own taste" way, and not simply label the material as being crap, because it's not.

Certainly, criticize if you want, but understand too that it's all based on your personal tastes, and that any material you deride, there are millions who disagree with you, and their opinions are just as valid.

Last edited:
What really annoys and disturbs me is the fact that there are certain people on this board who just seem to spread negativity with almost every post they make. I didn't come to a U2 board to see this. I feel it's the exact opposite of what this band is about. Critisizing and having an opinion is totally fine, but the bashing that often goes on here is simply annoying, especially if the tone is rude. I keep telling myself that some people are simply living out their own personal frustration, jealousy, etc. It's sad but I guess that's the way people are.

VintagePunk said:
The sports team analogy is a good one to a certain extent, but there are problems with it, too. The goal of a sports team is very simple - to win. Music, like all art, is subjective. It's not a dichotomous matter like win - lose.

I suppose what bugs me most about a great deal of the negativity around here is the mindset that "x is the best song/album/era ever" and "y is the worst, it's absolute crap." Um, no, it's not. No matter the song/album/era, they all have their fan segments, and just because a particular person doesn't like it doesn't make it a dismal failure on the part of the band. I wish that more people, rather than blaming the band, would frame it as a "it's not something I prefer, but that's completely due to my own taste" way, and not simply label the material as being crap, because it's not.

Certainly, criticize if you want, but understand too that it's all based on your personal tastes, and that any material you deride, there are millions who disagree with you, and their opinions are just as valid.

i've been trying to drive home this point on here ever since i arrived- well said, thank you :up:

kingofsorrow said:
having an opinion= bitching, hating, not a true fan, etc, etc,??????????

newflash, this thread is a bitching thread itself. welcome to the club.

Thanks for your post, however, I never stated any of what you said, and I don't see how asking a valid question about something I wanted further insight to is bitching? :scratch: And there is nothing wrong with having an opinion - it's how you convey your personal opinion that matters.

Infact, the replies to this thread have given me a deeper insight as to where a lot of posters are coming from, and how other people perceive it. I'm actually thrilled that people have been so open to discuss something which I thought was going to get ridiculed! :D

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

:up: I think you hit the nail on the head there VP!

i like u2 coz no other band sounds like them
so unique different, always consistently good live and good ballads, rock songs and anthems

they are great

I think a few of us need to man up a bit. I have never taken anything personally on here that anybody has said. I don't feel the need to defend U2 at all, to anybody. If I love "song y" and someone tells me that "song y" is crap and that "song x" is better it doesn't change me mind at all.

If this forum was like Pleba, or a total love-in I would be bored within 5 minutes. I think we all assume that we're fans to a certain extent or we wouldn't be here at all, but I think that the differences of opinion and different takes on perceived wisdom demonstrate just how vital U2 are. It shows me that they are worth caring about and how timeless so much of their music actually is that we can still argue about b-sides from 20 years ago.

U2 connect very personally with the listener and that is why opinion is so fragmented and widespread about all aspects of this band. But it is what makes them almost unique amongst acts of their size IMO...

chrissybaby said:
I think a few of us need to man up a bit. I have never taken anything personally on here that anybody has said. I don't feel the need to defend U2 at all, to anybody. If I love "song y" and someone tells me that "song y" is crap and that "song x" is better it doesn't change me mind at all.

I assume you're referring to me since you used my example. I never came close to saying that anyone on here has the ability to change my mind about anything U2 related, nor do I feel the need to defend them.

I'm just pointing out that to some, it's tiresome to hear opinions stated as fact, and being said in a way that implies, or sometimes explicitly states even, that the band's output is decreasing in quality. Again, it's subjective. People can only state their opinions, but too often, it's put forward as some irrefutable fact.

VintagePunk said:

I assume you're referring to me since you used my example. I never came close to saying that anyone on here has the ability to change my mind about anything U2 related, nor do I feel the need to defend them.

I'm just pointing out that to some, it's tiresome to hear opinions stated as fact, and being said in a way that implies, or sometimes explicitly states even, that the band's output is decreasing in quality. Again, it's subjective. People can only state their opinions, but too often, it's put forward as some irrefutable fact.

Wasn't a dig at you at all, just liked the "song x&y" stuff! I quite like to know people who have strong opinions, this "IMO" disclaimer that has proliferated online discussion is stifling IMO! Bring the arguments on, just state your case and don't troll, and i'm interested in most people's opinions. Let's face it, if I didn't want to discuss U2 I wouldn't be here.

If we removed the online aspect of this and we were all sat around a table in a pub I would relish the banter and i'd buy you all beer as we argued about Pop!

I hate your black pants. I hate black pepper. I hate black keys on a piano. I hate my gums, because they're black. I hate Whoopi Goldberg's *lips*. I hate the back of Forrest Whittaker's neck. Huh? Most of all, I hate that black-ass Wesley Snipes

gluey said:
and yet a lot of what I see around here is:
- How you hate a lot of songs
- How Bono's voice is bad etc

I agree with you! I don't hate any U2 song, but there is some I like less. Why do so many people use the word hate, hate is such a strong word.

Bono's voice is bad? :laugh:

I think its cool for fans to praise the band. I think its cool to be critical (its called freedom of speech)
As i sed on another thread, Its the U2 (and anyone connected to the Band) can do no wrong brigade that get up my nose.
Way i see it, I been a fan for 27 odd years, if i want to say i dont like something about them, I have earned the right to do so

Well, I never understood people who just blindly follow U2, or anything else for that matter. The U2-can-do-no-wrong people on this board often grate on me, or at least used to—now I just laugh. (That's what EYKIW is for, right?)

Criticism is the only way to enact positive change. If everyone just praised everything U2 did, they'd just become complacent. It's human nature: why put out your best effort if no matter what you do, fans will be behind you and support you because that's what "real" fans do.

In short, I feel the criticism is a way to counter-balance the uber-obsessed U2 fans on here, the ones that know every single detail about their lives; the ones that break down and analyze every single detail about their beach clips, songs, albums etc.

It's common knowledge that once you clearly love something, other people automatically say they hate that to rile you up... always happens.. :rolleyes:

to me the opposite happened... Everywhere One is listed as U2's greatest song ever, and all that crap made me dislike the song.... it's not a bad song at all, but I just hate the bloody overratedness of the song!(not sure if that is a word btw)

Ofcourse everyone's different and entitled to their opinion, and there'll always be negative people... just as long as there are enough positive people around it should be good :)

a sports team playing bad isn't subjective; music is

VintagePunk said:

:up:

Back
Top Bottom