Why no WOWY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
With or without you has been played at one lousy show. . . WTF? I'm all for BOY to be played and what not, but i feel like after shelling out four figures for tickets, we've earned the rights for the essentials to be played more than 10% of the time. . . i'm sure others have posted, but my quick scan couldn't find any. . . i am totally confused. . . :tsk:

Because WOWY sounds like total shit right now and should be consigned to the hell of songs to never ever be played live again.

It was one of the best songs EVER on the JT, Lovetown, and Zoo tours, but performances since then have been nothing short of an insult to that majestic song, mainly a fault of Bono's vocals.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they dropped most, if not all of the classics. Shame they aren't just playing to fanatics. :wink:

Dude, the one performance of WOWY on this tour so far was probably the single best performance of it since ZooTV. Certainly it can't be compared to the JT tour versions or the ZooTV versions, but it's not total crap. The one performance sounded about 500% better than any version on the Elevation tour.

Axver,why you should shout your mouth once for all with your stupid comments.What songs if u2 listen your stupidity dropped?

I love it when people say they've "earned the right" to hear (insert song name(s) here)... What makes anyone think that they've got a "right" to hear anything? It's U2's show. They can play whatever they feel like. You're the one that made the choice to pay for the ticket... if you don't feel like you'll get your money's worth, feel free to sell it to someone who will enjoy the concert whatever they decide to play.

I'm glad they didn't play it in Phoenix. I've seen WOWY at the PopMart & Elevation shows and it seemed like the band was playing it to make the casual fans happy. Not sure if the song will come back on this leg of the tour.

riteshbhatt1 said:
I'm glad they didn't play it in Phoenix. I've seen WOWY at the PopMart & Elevation shows and it seemed like the band was playing it to make the casual fans happy. Not sure if the song will come back on this leg of the tour.

So only casual fans would be happy to hear WOWY? What about long time fans who are going to a U2 concert for the first time and want to hear it?

I never get bored of hearing With Or Without You being played as it's one of my absolute favorites as I've said before. Mind you it's also easy for me to say that as I've seen them play it live that many times before.

However, people thinking they have the right to hear (insert song here) is just an lousy attitude.

If you're not happy with the set lists that are being played then the answer is really simple. Flog your tickets to a fan who will be grateful, no matter what they play, and get your money back. If you are a fan of the band, you'll enjoy the 2 hour show they put on, whichever of the set lists they play. They've never let me down once and I've seen them play live many times.

In my opinion, these set lists are the best since the Zoo TV/Zooropa Tour.

Axver said:
Because WOWY sounds like total shit right now and should be consigned to the hell of songs to never ever be played live again.

It was one of the best songs EVER on the JT, Lovetown, and Zoo tours, but performances since then have been nothing short of an insult to that majestic song, mainly a fault of Bono's vocals.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they dropped most, if not all of the classics. Shame they aren't just playing to fanatics. :wink:

I think your conclusion is rather harsh Axver - have you ever been at a U2 show where it's been played before? The atmosphere in the audience (going from the Joshua Tree shows I attended through to my last Elevation show) is still electric from start to finish when they play that song.

I'll agree that the last couple of tours versions have lacked the amazing feeling it had during the Joshua Tree, Lovetown & Zoo Tours and I think you're right when you say it's down to Bono's vocals, because musically it still sounds fantastic. But to say it should be consigned to the depths of hell never to be played again...I just can't agree.

Respect to your views, but that is just my opinion on the subject :wink:

crosby87 said:
Axver,why you should shout your mouth once for all with your stupid comments.What songs if u2 listen your stupidity dropped?

Why don't you post a comment that is actually comprehensible for once?

neilm said:

I think your conclusion is rather harsh Axver - have you ever been at a U2 show where it's been played before? The atmosphere in the audience (going from the Joshua Tree shows I attended through to my last Elevation show) is still electric from start to finish when they play that song.

I'll agree that the last couple of tours versions have lacked the amazing feeling it had during the Joshua Tree, Lovetown & Zoo Tours and I think you're right when you say it's down to Bono's vocals, because musically it still sounds fantastic. But to say it should be consigned to the depths of hell never to be played again...I just can't agree.

I'm well aware of how a song can be much better when you're actually there. Of course, the atmosphere of WOWY is rather helped by the fact it's a gigantic hit that all the crowd can get right into. The point stands though that Bono can no longer sing WOWY - it just no longer works. If a rare song were played like that (i.e. The Electric Co.), it would be decried by everyone as crap and cut from the setlist pretty much immediately.

Axver said:

I'm well aware of how a song can be much better when you're actually there. Of course, the atmosphere of WOWY is rather helped by the fact it's a gigantic hit that all the crowd can get right into. The point stands though that Bono can no longer sing WOWY - it just no longer works. If a rare song were played like that (i.e. The Electric Co.), it would be decried by everyone as crap and cut from the setlist pretty much immediately.

You throw out a good point Axver and I cannot disagree with you on this one. I completely agree that Bono can no longer sing it as he used to. In fact, over the last couple of tours he's struggled with a few songs which makes me wonder how long the band will actually be able to continue with these demanding tour schedules.

The band are obviously not happy with the way it's being performed either as it does appear to have been dropped down the pecking order. I still like to hear it live, but hey, that's just me. However, I'm still very much for a set list of rarities!!!

crosby87 said:

Do you just come on here to insult Axver? I didnt necessarily agree with his comment, Ive never seen U2 before and cant wait to hear the classics, but its pathetic that you are always bitchin'!! Get a life!

:madspit:

neilm said:

I agree completely with you. I cant wait to hear and feel the audiences reaction to WOWY.. thats why im desperate for the guys to play it in the UK.. and I think they will..

I've seen WOWY on the ZooTV, Popmart and Elevation tours I've attended, and as weak as Bono's vocals were during Elevation, it still sounds awesome live. It creates a certain energy in the room, and is really a crowd favourite, for casual and non casual fans. Its one of those songs that everyone knows and sings along to, similar to One.
Axver, I know when listening to bootlegs, you can distinctively tell the inferiority of it when comparing to Lovetown, but when you are in the room it is electric, and Bono's vocal strength goes unnoticed because the crowd is so loud.. I really think this song should be played almost every concert. I believe they will bring it in as a somewhat regular, as soon as they are completely satisfied with the set list they have now.
Axver, I really hope you get a chance to hear WOWY you live, because it really is one of those songs that defines U2.

Sken

Maybe WOWY was less than perfection on elevation, but i totally agree that no matter the level of performance, it's just one of those songs that i feel that i need to hear when i go to a U2 show. That obviously doesn't mean i won't have a fabulous time and enjoy every second, but there's just something magical about that song live. . . my girlfriend hasn't been to a U2 show yet and she'll be seeing them for the first time this tour, and that's one song i want to share with her.

crosby87 said:

Undoubtedly the single most ridiculous post i've seen to date. . . absolute thread pollution. . . :|

I heard WOWY four times on Elevation (Charlotte, Chicago, DC, Baltimore) and it was pretty week every time. It wasn't just the weak vocals either. The deep bass at the begining was goofed up 3/4 times with feedback IIRC.

GG_The_Fly said:

Undoubtedly the single most ridiculous post i've seen to date. . . absolute thread pollution. . . :|

Take it easy....I'm guessing English isn't the person's first language.

namkcuR said:

Take it easy....I'm guessing English isn't the person's first language.

English being their first language or not, thats no excuse for that person being so rude and personally attacking someone is it? I hate that sort of thing.. :(

Probably my favorite song ever is With or Without You. The live versions from 1987-1992. But now, I don't want to hear it. It was destroyed too many times. Without the Shine Like Stars verse and Bono's voice and at least some kind of improvisation in the end(from Edge) it is useless.
My theory is... Edge hates the song. He sounds so bored playing it.

menelaos said:
Personally if I was given 650+ million euros from my fans I would sing until the second I die...And what is this Into the Heart and An Cat Dubh crap..????
These songs weren't hits the years that came out...They are going to be hits now...???

Hits? Go to a MTV forum if you want hits.
Damn, I hate that word(*hit*).

Sometimes I log on here just to see the Crosby/Axver interplay. Between Crosby's butchering of the language and Axver's never-been-to-a-show pomposity, they make a great duo. F'in hilarious!

My view is that a show is so much more than a collection of songs, and that in judging shows the overemphasis on setlists is an understandable byproduct of the internet age but not a necessarily welcome one.

For example, to read some reviews, you'd think that it was Bad alone that made Phoenix II so memorable. I think that does a disservice to the show. Bad was perfectly placed in the setlist and the evening was building to a crescendo when it was played, which magnified it. It also fit correctly. If it had been played virtually anywhere else in the setlist, it wouldn't have fit as well.

So the bottom line is that I'm way more comfortable having the band try to construct a setlist that they are excited to play and says what they want it to say from top to bottom rather than worrying about whether and where any one song should fit. (As an also Springsteen fan, I've seen this exact discussion before, usually with Rosalita, which everyone who doesn't keep track of setlists always expects him to play but which he despises to his core.)

Still, WOWY seems like a special case. It does fit with most of what the band is doing now. If you were to ask every fan attending a show what song they most want to hear or would be disappointed not hearing, I think this might just win by a wide margin, or at least be second to Sunday Bloody Sunday in a few markets. I've seen it over a dozen times, including some fairly weak versions, and I've rarely wished something else were played instead.

In short, despite everything I've said above, add me to the list who wish they'd play it at least once in mulitple night stands in one city.

Last edited:
menelaos said:
Personally if I was given 650+ million euros from my fans I would sing until the second I die...And what is this Into the Heart and An Cat Dubh crap..????
These songs weren't hits the years that came out...They are going to be hits now...???

You might like Neil Diamond. I understand that when he was recently on tour, whenever crowds went crazy for Sweet Caroline, he would often say, "you like that, huh?" and then play it again.

The day that U2 starts that crap is the day I'll take my dollars, euros, pesos, and everything else somewhere else.

neilm said:

You throw out a good point Axver and I cannot disagree with you on this one. I completely agree that Bono can no longer sing it as he used to. In fact, over the last couple of tours he's struggled with a few songs which makes me wonder how long the band will actually be able to continue with these demanding tour schedules.

The band are obviously not happy with the way it's being performed either as it does appear to have been dropped down the pecking order. I still like to hear it live, but hey, that's just me. However, I'm still very much for a set list of rarities!!!

Is it just me or do the "Bono's lost his voice" assertions seem a little exagerated. Granted, I don't spend a lot of time analyzing concert boots to see how the quality of Bono's voice has degenerated, but to be entirely honest With or Without You sounds pretty much the same to my ears as it always has. I'll give you that the song is much better with the "Shine like stars in the summer night" verse, but I really don't see that the Elevation version of With or Without You is really a lot different than any past versions of the song.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom